01-28-09 01:16 AM
222 ... 34567 ...
tools
    ...... I've seen a few posts recently with people bumping their OWN post less than 30 minutes after they posted it! It's a forum, not a chatroom.
    not sure what the point of this comment is ... if you have posted a question (its your OWN) post - someone asks a question or for further information, and you are (as you do) keeping an eye on the post to see if anyone gives any advice, you update it - this may be 5 mins - 30 mins - 1 hour+. Is this what you are talking about?

There's basic etiquette that needs to be observed on forums, and if some of the helpful 'regulars' are turned off by the floods of garbage because a million people are asking the same questions, not reading the sticky posts, not searching... well then it all suffers.
    Now this I agree with - It is not hard to do a search first, if then you do not get any hits it is beneficial to ask the question. I always do this and its a 50/50 as to whether I find the answer, so then I raise the question. I have to say that for most part I get a sensible answer - yet further down in the post and way past the given answer - I get a slagging and you should search first. So just to make it clear to all those that have the "DO A SEARCH FIRST" - auto post routine I now start posts (where aplicable) with "I have searched for this and have not had any luck so far", so that it is obvious that I have at least tried to find the answer.

Having said that the majority of members here are very helpful and will always try to answer the questions or even send the url of the post containing the answer .... I think that this board is very good and for the view that spoil it - its worth staying around ....

Cheers! and thanks to all those that are very helpful ...
    Last edited by clivew05; 12-19-08 at 08:00 AM.
    12-19-08 07:57 AM
    Not to totally disagree with the OP and others, but there is a reason why many people get upset with so many re-posts. For many people here they take time, effort and some amount of pride in carefully answering a question, and they hope it can be easily found by subsequent users. When the Storm site hits 300-500 pages and 200 pages are re-posts, it is a bit frustrating, because it buries really good information in an avalanche of re-posts where very often a "newbie" will only find mis-information or a dead end.
    I agree with the OP that people can be rude but I agree with the post above much more. Quite a bit of the time the answer is already posted to 90% of the questions asked. And for instance, someone will hop on and make a thread asking a question. At the same time, if you were to look down the list of topics just a little bit, theres already a thread on it. So then you'll have 3 or 4 threads on the exact same topic. People nowadays are so ME oriented and don't feel they should invest any time in actual research, they just what what they want and want it now. As I saw earlier, people take pride in most of their post(certain members) and it's frustrating when you see the same questions asked over and over when the answer is easily findable. Granted, I know the answer is not always easily findable, but if the one that were were looked at instead of a new thread created each time, the Storm sub-forum would have 25% less threads than it has now.

Regardless, I don't see the need to flame anyone. If you don't want to answer don't. At the same time, take a look around. I will guarantee you that a minimum of 85% of the questions asked on this forum have already been answered at least twice. But again, if you don't want to give an answer, keep it moving....
    12-19-08 08:13 AM
    People nowadays are so ME oriented and don't feel they should invest any time in actual research, they just what what they want and want it now.
    I call it the "iGeneration"
    12-19-08 11:34 AM
    ...People nowadays are so ME oriented and don't feel they should invest any time in actual research, they just what what they want and want it now....
    LOL, when I saw your word "ME" above, my first brain-reaction was that it was an acronym/text/im/abbreviation for something and not actually the word "me".

Lord help me...
    12-19-08 11:53 AM
    Lol. Funny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 11:58 AM
    I call it the "iGeneration"
    did someone read "Generation Me"?
    12-19-08 12:01 PM
    I think the most frustrating part of it is that the people who simply respond with "Do a Search!" are actually making the problem worse.

If you do a search because your Storm suddenly displays "SIM Card Rejected", you're going to find a TON of posts...but, a lot of these posts DON'T have the answer...just pissed off people telling the OP to DO A SEARCH!!

If you're going to go through the trouble of posting a reply, I think you could use some common courtesy and answer the OP's question...and you can suggest that, in the future, they should make an effort to search and see if the question has been raised previously before creating a new post.
    I've been thinking about this lately. While duplicate threads can be annoying, seeing a thread with replies kind of gives the impression that there may actually be an answer contained in that thread (which is what one would be looking for if they were doing a search). It's even more of a waste of time when I click on these threads hoping to find a helpful response only to find "do a search" or "this has been covered several times." If I'm trying to find a solution, I'm not going to bother clicking on a thread that comes up in a search if it has zero replies. Obviously, if no one has responded, then that thread is not going to have the answer I'm looking for. Responding with pointless, unhelpful comments only makes it more difficult for people who ARE doing a search!

I agree that people absolutely should search before they post, and that not doing so does create a mess on the boards. However, unhelpful responses only add to that issue.
    12-19-08 12:12 PM
    So many good thoughts in this thread, but it all boils down to majority of the new users do not want to take the time to search, learn, and digest information.

Being in IT I deal with it everyday people having a hissy fit cause something does not work the way they think it should work and never taking the time think past the nose on their face.

It is hard to communicate with the majority of the people that are like this cause their ego gets in the way along with their insecurity of not being the brightest bulb in the batch. I know not everyone is a tech guru cause if they were quite a few people would be out of a job.

But my thing is, if you can type and use google to find this site why not go one more step further and search *THIS* site for the same content.

Like my mother would always tell me growing up "I am not always going to be around to pull you out of your mess" when I would do something ill thought out for a teenage boy. That was over 15 years ago but it still holds true. She uses other phrases now that I am a parent.

My only thing is, use the search function. I can find things with it and it may take a couple of tries but you get better with it the more you use it. Also you were graced with a brain, why not use it? Is it that hard to a part of a solution and quit being part of the problem.

The gurus of this site here now and in the future will not always be here to bail you out. Learn to think for yourself and also few steps past your problem like it is a game of chess.
    12-19-08 12:13 PM
    agree many people don't search...they just post the question
    12-19-08 12:28 PM
    agree many people don't search...they just post the question
    But really, what is the big deal? You don't have to click the link if it's redundant. Just move on.

Some people don't want to search, some don't know how to search. I personally don't care if I see the same thread I saw a day ago. I would actually like to help if I can.
    12-19-08 01:08 PM
    But really, what is the big deal? You don't have to click the link if it's redundant. Just move on.

Some people don't want to search, some don't know how to search. I personally don't care if I see the same thread I saw a day ago. I would actually like to help if I can.

Its a big deal when the entire first page is filled with reposts...look at the titles on some of the threads. They are pathetic. You have to click on them to find out what half of them are about. Most people dont want to and wont go through 5 pages of crap to find 6 threads they can answer or actually are worth reading.

Look how many threads on on the front page about problems after updating to the "leaked" OS. They are probably half the threads right now. There are several long and informative threads about the the new OS. There are plenty of answers to many questions in those 2-3 threads too if people would just search those threads.
    12-19-08 02:28 PM
    So many good thoughts in this thread, but it all boils down to majority of the new users do not want to take the time to search, learn, and digest information.

Being in IT I deal with it everyday people having a hissy fit cause something does not work the way they think it should work and never taking the time think past the nose on their face.

It is hard to communicate with the majority of the people that are like this cause their ego gets in the way along with their insecurity of not being the brightest bulb in the batch. I know not everyone is a tech guru cause if they were quite a few people would be out of a job.

But my thing is, if you can type and use google to find this site why not go one more step further and search *THIS* site for the same content.

Like my mother would always tell me growing up "I am not always going to be around to pull you out of your mess" when I would do something ill thought out for a teenage boy. That was over 15 years ago but it still holds true. She uses other phrases now that I am a parent.

My only thing is, use the search function. I can find things with it and it may take a couple of tries but you get better with it the more you use it. Also you were graced with a brain, why not use it? Is it that hard to a part of a solution and quit being part of the problem.

The gurus of this site here now and in the future will not always be here to bail you out. Learn to think for yourself and also few steps past your problem like it is a game of chess.
    you know, i was browsing through this thread and i was trying to understand and see the other point of views (i'm a firm believer of search before you post) before i got all b!tchy and voiced mine. i've actually stopped visiting CB for a while because i got so sick and tired of all the ridiculous posts that have ended up here lately. and yes, i understand that you can just "ignore" all the ones you don't care for, but then i'd have to ignore about half of the stuff on here.

but, without flaming or stirring up any more drama, ainvar has definetely summed it up very well.
    12-19-08 02:46 PM
    honestly, a lot of this kinda stuff wouldnt happen if people simply used the search button. this forum would probably be a third of its current size.
    12-19-08 03:01 PM
    I've been thinking about this lately. While duplicate threads can be annoying, seeing a thread with replies kind of gives the impression that there may actually be an answer contained in that thread (which is what one would be looking for if they were doing a search). It's even more of a waste of time when I click on these threads hoping to find a helpful response only to find "do a search" or "this has been covered several times." If I'm trying to find a solution, I'm not going to bother clicking on a thread that comes up in a search if it has zero replies. Obviously, if no one has responded, then that thread is not going to have the answer I'm looking for. Responding with pointless, unhelpful comments only makes it more difficult for people who ARE doing a search!

I agree that people absolutely should search before they post, and that not doing so does create a mess on the boards. However, unhelpful responses only add to that issue.
    Agreed. Sometimes the best reply is no reply at all. But then again, I do enjoy reading those "I traded my storm for an iphone" threads.
    12-19-08 03:07 PM

See how many threads there are today with people posting the same issues with regards to installing .83?

Also, see how long the thread is about the .83 leak...newbs are posting the exact same question multiple times because they don't know what they're doing. Of course the answers are all in the sticky threads.
    12-19-08 03:12 PM
    See how many threads there are today with people posting the same issues with regards to installing .83?

Also, see how long the thread is about the .83 leak...newbs are posting the exact same question multiple times because they don't know what they're doing. Of course the answers are all in the sticky threads.
    or somewhere else in the thread
    12-19-08 03:13 PM
    you know, i was browsing through this thread and i was trying to understand and see the other point of views (i'm a firm believer of search before you post) before i got all b!tchy and voiced mine. i've actually stopped visiting CB for a while because i got so sick and tired of all the ridiculous posts that have ended up here lately. and yes, i understand that you can just "ignore" all the ones you don't care for, but then i'd have to ignore about half of the stuff on here.

but, without flaming or stirring up any more drama, ainvar has definetely summed it up very well.
    I haven't visited as much lately, either. I appreciate that we have a lot of new BB users with the Storm, but I feel like crackberry has lost some of it's personality with all of the redundant posts.

I have faith that it will get better. Maybe I just need to adjust how I peruse the forum.
    12-19-08 03:22 PM
    "I swear on my mother's grave I did a search..."

... is how I feel I must preface my posts! And I did, but I didn't find the answer, or no one knew the answer, or I just missed the answer. All three have happened in the short time I've been around this forum. But I really wanted the answer so I posted hoping no one would beat me senseless for daring to do so!

So far no one has beaten me senseless, and several have been truly helpful and generous with that help. But I've taken a jab or two. I admit as a noob, one who has read all the stickies and the stuff for noobs, and the pathetic Storm manual, and searched the great big overwhelming forum.... even though I know I did my part, I still fear posting that new thread.

However, I'll stick around because I've learned so much from the searches that did result in answers, and from the genuine helpfulness of many of the old-timers. I visit the forum several times each day - afraid I am already Cracked!
    12-19-08 04:27 PM
    "I swear on my mother's grave I did a search..."

... is how I feel I must preface my posts! And I did, but I didn't find the answer, or no one knew the answer, or I just missed the answer. All three have happened in the short time I've been around this forum. But I really wanted the answer so I posted hoping no one would beat me senseless for daring to do so!
    If you've searched and didn't find the answer, don't be afraid to post. If somebody criticizes you, just say "sorry, my bad, I didn't find it." I can almost guarantee you that'll end the rant before it starts. If somebody persists, they're at fault, not you. Ignore them and move on. Don't let them spoil your experience.

12-19-08 04:51 PM
    exactly, no one is going to give you grief if you've at least tried.
    12-19-08 04:54 PM
    If you've searched and didn't find the answer, don't be afraid to post. If somebody criticizes you, just say "sorry, my bad, I didn't find it." I can almost guarantee you that'll end the rant before it starts. If somebody persists, they're at fault, not you. Ignore them and move on. Don't let them spoil your experience.

exactly, no one is going to give you grief if you've at least tried.

I agree with both statements above. Problem is I fear the majority do not attempt to search. I believe 95% don't know the meaning of the word in regards to forums. I swear, if people just actually searched their topic before posting it, there would be 75% less overall threads in this subforum. Just like today, there were 4 or 5 "should I wipe threads". Or how to wipe, when theres a How-To in the how-to forum. Now if someone would've searched the how-to forum they would've seen the thread and there would have been no need to make theirs. Heck if the just searched JL_Cmder it would have came up. I understand people are excited about their new Storm and anxious to do what ever, but it's getting crazy around here.
    12-19-08 05:26 PM
    amen brotha
    12-19-08 05:27 PM
    Yep, I agree.

There are some really nice people here ... many of them have responded to my posts and helped me out a lot. But in general here I see a lot of rude posts.

I am active in two other forums (not tech related) and there isn't the same aggressive vibe that I often see on here.
    12-19-08 05:47 PM
    For instance, I just counted 12 threads on .83. And we all know 99% of them say the exact same thing. C R A Z Y.
    12-19-08 05:58 PM
    i think i counted 6 threads about the Today theme
    12-19-08 06:00 PM
222 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD