Let's just hug it out, *****......
    12-22-08 06:24 PM
    You missed the part of his message where he answered the question by linking to the existing thread.
    Nice assumption, but no I didn't.
    Why not just say: "I don't know the answer, but I did a search for you and this is what I found.."

Sounds a lot better to me than "search before you post"

Especially when a new member is involved.
    12-22-08 06:27 PM
    I'm new. Signed up here explicitly because of my new Storm. I've never had a blackberry before and never had a smartphone before for that matter. However, I am not technologically inept, and despite my newness still feel like I can contribute.

I always search before I ask, and once I found the answer 30 seconds after I posted by tweaking my search settings and reposted a 'found it - never mind!' on my OP.

But I digress. With this site, I seem to get a (completely unsubstantiated) vibe that newer users seem to expect and even wait for veterans to help. To put it another way, I don't see an awful lot of 'newbies helping newbies'.

YES the newbie OP could have probably done a better job of searching for his answer prior to posting a potentially redundant thread, but instead of waiting for that thread to reach the attention of a veteran who quite justifiably is irritated at answering the same questions over and over again, why not jump in with the copied/pasted answer or a link to an "asked and answered" thread?

I may only have 15 or so posts here, but I can search as well as most, and haven't yet let "veteran cynicism" set in.

So, for us newbies that lament potentially harsh reaction to some well trodden questions...why not take it upon ourselves to help eachother?
    12-22-08 06:35 PM
    There are several people in that category. These people give to our community. There are also many who just take and a few who just take it out on us.

Well said. Pete.
    OP- Unfortunately, it's on every forum. Frustration has set in for some newbies and some
    of the older CrackBerry-a-holics. Let it go, enjoy the site. If not, you're letting someone's comments control you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 06:38 PM
    Why not just say: "I don't know the answer, but I did a search for you and this is what I found.."

So wait, lemme see if I understand. You admit the guy answered the question in reply. You just didn't like the sound/tone of his answer? Yet you say nothing about the tone of the OP?

Would it make you feel better if Don also posted his personal phone number and pager where he can be reached in case the OP needed to ask follow up questions?

Edit: seriously, he answered the question and informed the OP to search (which if the OP did, he would've found the answer). If you don't like the way he answered, you can always follow-up with your own properly toned answered. There's being helpful, but it seems like you want people to be happy sunshine nice to your own standards.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 12-22-08 at 06:41 PM.
    12-22-08 06:39 PM
    So wait, lemme see if I understand. You admit the guy answered the question in reply. You just didn't like the sound/tone of his answer? Yet you say nothing about the tone of the OP?

Would it make you feel better if Don also posted his personal phone number and pager where he can be reached in case the OP needed to ask follow up questions?

Edit: seriously, he answered the question and informed the OP to search (which if the OP did, he would've found the answer). If you don't like the way he answered, you can always follow-up with your own properly toned answered. There's being helpful, but it seems like you want people to be happy sunshine nice to your own standards.
    Do you know the tone of the OP? Here is his question:http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/cal...9/#post1242364
    While the thread title is dubious, I don't see anything at all wrong with the question.
    And MY standards have nothing to do with this. Kevin has asked that we do not respond with "do a search" type answers. That is all.
    12-22-08 06:52 PM

Don't mind me.
    12-22-08 07:09 PM
    OMG...someone gets me...did **** freeze over?
    I get you, too....
    12-22-08 10:10 PM
    I remember when I first started visiting and I knew nothing about my BlackBerry. I also remember seeing a couple of people get flamed and how that put me on edge a little - like the OP. I was a little tentative with my posts for a while. Now I know quite a bit about some subjects and simply go quietly about my business helping people.

I try my best to be understanding and helpful. I also try to not be rude - and I generally don't tell people to search. However, a lot of the same questions are asked over and over, but this actually makes my job easier, haha. I put together a tip document in my Docs to Go folder that has the answers to many most often asked questions. I have this open while I'm at CB so I can copy and paste answers.

I don't have much patience for the rude old timers or the entitled new people, but it is not my job to put anyone in their place. I pride myself on being polite and helpful, and I try to set an example. I truly enjoy my time here and times I get thanked for my help. A few other members and a couple Mods recognize what I do and that is enough for me. That and the gratitude of the couple dozen people I have helped upgrade "behind the scenes" make it all worthwhile.

My contribution to this thread would be to advise old timers to try to be more polite and understanding, and to advise the new people to be patient with someone who has answered your question many times before - and remember to thank the person who answered your question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 11:01 PM
    Oh WOW! I thought I was the only person to see the many rude remarks to those who weren't crackberry forum savvy. Heck it took me a min. to figure out how to reply to KGCATCH22 msg. All in all, I am a Blackberry and Crackberry virgin and I don't think I'm fully aware of the Storm's capability.

The Storm is great even though I had problems with the phone scrubbing the memory because of corrupt files, so I was told. Home screen not responding to my clicks or having a picture of the home screen integrating with my camera. With the few upgrades and taking the battery out to reset my phone, the Storm works like it should.

Crackberry.com offers a lot of information and everyone is so willing to help. I will continue my journey to explore this website.
    Last edited by ctoda83; 12-22-08 at 11:06 PM.
    12-22-08 11:03 PM
    Interesting discussion on this thread... but all in all IMO, it's all about being courteous and helpful. I've often added the following when I've done the occasional welcome to a Newbie.

...Take advantage of the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

I've found so much here on CB for myself, by using the Search Engine, I've answered many a question and passed on many a thread link by doing the same. If I am able to, I'm happy help in any way I can.
    12-28-08 05:43 PM
    ^^ Like the link in your sig says we all need to be nicer. I have no problem being nice.
    12-29-08 10:29 AM
    ^^ Like the link in your sig says we all need to be nicer. I have no problem being nice.
    That's so nice of you to say that
    12-29-08 11:47 AM
    I've been seeing a lot of newbies flaming older, more established members lately.

I saw one noob try to correct a well respected member's grammar the other day and wasn't very nice in doing so. He quickly got a mod's boot right where the sun don't shine for it too. Lol
    12-29-08 04:50 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to this site. I think its great and has replaced many of my trusty reliable websites as the first site i go to first thing in the morning. Im super excited with my new storm. I really don't know why their are any complaints with this phone because i think its the greatest phone i have ever used. Sure its a little quirky at times and their are things that could make it perfect but compared to my Treo 700P its like its made in a different century. So....on to the point if your still reading...

Why do people feel the need to post rude obnoxious responses to people who aren't really familiar with everything Blackberry or this site? Believe it or not there are actually people whose lives don't revolve around their phone.....If someone googles a problem they have and Crackberry comes up of course they are going to try to post something asap so they can get their questions answered. That is kind of the point of a message board isn't it. Social interaction. Dose it really bother people that much to read a post that might have been answered already? And if you have already wasted your time reading it... Why would you waste your time answering it with a rude response? If your going to post a rude response why don't you just take the time to answer the question..I dont know...i just find myself getting more annoyed with people complaining about other people searching than i do when someone might as a stupid or redundant question.

GO STORM!

-KG
    Unfortunately I COMPLETELY disagree with you.
    While I love this forum, the information gathered and organized here...It seems to me that people do NOT know how to search, investigate, troubleshoot, determine, resolve, for themselves....

IF you fall into this category, well I'm truly sorry for you.

As a response to your OP:
    I typed into Google.com: Crackberry+Obnoxious Regulars (your subjectline)

Would you like to guess WHAT came up, and on the first line no less?????

That's right, THIS THREAD!!!!

Could you imagine what would happen if people did this????
    (The possibilities are endless)

Now, if people do not know how to internet, well k, I understand that, but it is when people do NOT make a conscious effort to solve their own problems....I have a slight problem with that.

I ask you this: How many posts are posted here requesting help on HOW to search, or use certain buzz words to find
    a solution that this person wants or needs? The answer: ZERO.

I respect your right to an opinion but you haven't thought it through...
    All of these COUNTLESS, and MINDLESS posts I see everyday seem to convolute this forum....Ever wonder why?

Perhaps the SAME questions are being asked, because..............
    These people just want the easy way out in life.
    Is that fair for the average person on this site to have to peruse through dozens of useless posts and threads? I don't think so.

This ^ Is also just my opinion.

When I need an answer I do not bump my head into a clear tank (as a blind fish would do) and post a thread when my reasoning leads me to believe that this question MAY have been asked before. Google is your friend. I say use it. Why not? It works, it saves this site's bandwidth from reaching epic proportions.

More moderation is needed here.
    This ^ is another opinion.

One last thing: It is quite comical that YOU, find yourself more and more annoyed at coming across rude and obnoxious posts when (as you say) the person could have just posted the answer....Guess what?

If you have the right to feel annoyed, then why do people like me, who are receiving negative connotations to their actions here don't have that same right as you? Makes you think, huh?
    Last edited by SilvioBenussi; 01-27-09 at 02:41 PM.
    01-27-09 02:37 PM
    I agree that search is under-utilized, but it also has serious limits too...

I think 3 things here at CB are funny.

1. People thinking that since an open debate forum falls under a particular umbrella that it must have been created for the express purpose of supporting that platform.

2. People taking their little communication tool way too seriously. It's a tool. It's not part of who you are. The quote is, "A man is what he does with his attention." It is not, "A man is a direct reflection of his possessions." Your blackberry is NOT a cult of personality - even if you want it to be.

3. People that are UNABLE to see the humor in anything that isn't non-contextual and judgment free. See irony. See satire. See that it takes a thought or two to have a contrary opinion... but most of all see, that nothing is serious except pain and disease... and you better learn to laugh at that in time too.
    01-27-09 04:16 PM
    As a Blackberry Newbie, and a Newbie to this forum, I have to agree with Silvio's point. I was a Treo user for years before becoming enlightened. I used to visit TreoCentral, and we had the same situation. Nobody would take the time to do a search. We would have threads started on a topic that was in a thread 2 threads below.

I believe that if I can find out most information without starting a new thread, I believe that most users can. JMO

claire
    01-27-09 04:26 PM
    I agree a little with both sides. But everyone on here started as a newbie and sometimes we need to be pointed in the right direction. Plus we should be on here to help each other out. Overall all the people I have met on here are great and I thank all of those who have helped me figure things out I couldn�t on my own.
    01-27-09 04:45 PM
    I agree that search is under-utilized, but it also has serious limits too...

I think 3 things here at CB are funny.

1. People thinking that since an open debate forum falls under a particular umbrella that it must have been created for the express purpose of supporting that platform.
    It happens on all forums man. No offense to you but innuendo serves no useful purpose either. Spell it out for us, be honest. Tell us how you really feel, cite sources and direct examples of what it is you are trying to say...

2. People taking their little communication tool way too seriously. It's a tool. It's not part of who you are. The quote is, "A man is what he does with his attention." It is not, "A man is a direct reflection of his possessions." Your blackberry is NOT a cult of personality - even if you want it to be.
    You are doing the same thing you are accusing people of (and I too find this funny!) Are you the official spokesman for Crackberry, and/or its affiliates? It's members? Are you the chief executive directly in charge of speaking for people in terms of Ethics? lol.

Never mind the semantics involved here...A person's BlackBerry is whatever it is to that person, and you are in no position to say otherwise.

I hope #2 is directed at me.
    My position is strictly principal and it can be applied to whatever and whomever argues otherwise. My BB is a phone, a convenient piece of electronics that works, handles my EMails and them some, nothing more.

However there are fanboys and girls that LOVE their BB Storm , Curve what have you....and they should be able to express whatever they want WHEN they want it. You'd be a poor moderator if your views were instituted here at CB...Poor judgment....

3. People that are UNABLE to see the humor in anything that isn't non-contextual and judgment free. See irony. See satire. See that it takes a thought or two to have a contrary opinion... but most of all see, that nothing is serious except pain and disease... and you better learn to laugh at that in time too.
    I truly agree with you, but the negativity in your sig is pretty sad on such a public forum... "Never go full ******," is pretty pathetic. Yeah I saw the movie and I didn't laugh at that comment. Everyone should lighten up, sure.....but not at the expense of someone who is actually mentally impaired unless you truly think your Carlos Menstealia attitude really hold any sort of validity?
    01-27-09 07:55 PM

Why are you trying to get people to talk and gesture the way YOU would have done? Why not let people be themselves, individuals, yeah?

It sounds to me you like getting things handed down to you without any sort of effort put forth. A *newbie* isn't someone who was born yesterday. Post count has nothing to do with experience, and you know that.
    01-27-09 08:07 PM
    Silvio; Lucifer has a sale going on right now...it's on the clearance rack that's located beside the third smoldering boulder to the left (looking straight at) of Lucifer's molten throne. There's one catch....

.....you have to go there to seize the opportunity.

Let us know if the sale was worth it; or shoot us an e-mail in the oh-so unfortunate event that you are unable to relay the message in person. Thanks.
    01-28-09 12:39 AM
    Silvio; Lucifer has a sale going on right now...it's on the clearance rack that's located beside the third smoldering boulder to the left (looking straight at) of Lucifer's molten throne. There's one catch....

.....you have to go there to seize the opportunity.

Let us know if the sale was worth it; or shoot us an e-mail in the oh-so unfortunate event that you are unable to relay the message in person. Thanks.
    I think Sprints cellular service has gotten to your brain sir.
    Please get out of your Prius, shut off the phone and stuff your face with your usual decaf mocha frappachino double shot non fat latte, k?

OT: How in the H-E-L-L would you know where the sale is?
    Do you have H-E-L-L mapped out on your BB?

Lay off grandpa's cough syrup and try again.
    P.S. WTF is up with the auto censors? Is this site run by Mormons or something?
    01-28-09 01:16 AM
222 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD