I have been lurking these forums for a couple of weeks now, as I am one of those types of people that researches something extensively before taking the plunge on purchasing it, especially with a device like the Storm which had such a shaky start and mixed reviews all around. This resource has been amazing to find the answers to many of my questions, as well as inform me of things I didnt even know about. However, during that time, it is very easy to notice trends among many of the people that post. You begin to see avatars, and usernames, and almost based on those, you learn if their post is going to be useful, helpful, informative, etc, based solely on the trends of their previous posts. It is always comforting to see some usernames pop up in threads because you know business is being taken care of, and questions are being answered.

However, this works in vice versa. With some people, you begin to just expect a smartass/rude/snide comment, or just an overall "bothered" attitude that, in such a wonderful place like this, should be calmed, quieted, or just not even posted. With that being said, Mr. Nguyen, I feel you fall into this second category after seeing your responses in numerous threads. I dont think there is anyone amongst these "regulars" who are as condescending on a consistent level as you are. Now, I do understand that you know a good amount about the device, much more so than many of these people that are posting replica threads, but that doesnt mean you need to go about answering or "helping" them in a condescending manner. It would be a shame to turn someone off to a community that can be so helpful in hundreds of different ways. It's not fair to those who are new and just looking for a question to be answered, and not fair to those who have answered the same question 30 times, and are still willing to do so tomorrow or the next day.
    something i may mean to sound condescending, others...not so much. Sometimes, things are taken out of context or read wrong. Anyone who has used the internet knows that they can easily search for their answer; however, they are simply too lazy to put in their own work and do a simple search and just create a new thread.

yeah...i can be an a$$ but so can anyone else...

take my posts how you wanna take em...no skin off my back...just dont complain about my posts and then come asking for help...which has happened already with other users
    Last edited by DonNguyen; 12-22-08 at 05:10 PM.
    12-22-08 05:00 PM
    Hey Don...off-topic but what do you think of .83?
    12-22-08 05:21 PM
    i'll post in the .83 discussion thread as to not go off topic
    12-22-08 05:28 PM
    This type of behavior happens on every forum.
    You could even say this happens in real life as well.
    There's always "good apples" & "bad apples".
    If you find someone to be rude simply ignore them.

Another thing...Most of the users here are used to have EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING handed to them that it is NO surprise the most asinine of questions are asked most all of the time.

You want a BB Storm and you can't even search, touch buttons here and there to TRY and learn the device for yourself?

Then as if that were something hard to do you have the audacity to ask things that were answered. Searching doesn't have to be done... READING a thread from page 1 to the end is pretty easy, but you lazy arse people want things handed to you like your mommy and daddy hand you things without earning them....

Sad.
    It's HAVING.
    Last edited by Fan-boi 9000; 12-22-08 at 05:55 PM.
    12-22-08 05:51 PM
    the only time i get pissed...
    is when a new thread is opened... and the issue is discussed in an old thread that you can find... 3 pages back.
    anything other than that i'm nice haha
    12-22-08 05:53 PM
    is when a new thread is opened... and the issue is discussed in an old thread that you can find... 3 pages back.
    what if the issue has been discussed on the same page
    12-22-08 05:54 PM
    Anyone know how to turn this thing on?????

HA HA
    12-22-08 05:54 PM
    Anyone know how to turn this thing on?????

HA HA
    wasn't there a thread about someone not being able to turn on their phone and then they realized the battery wasnt in?

maybe i'm just making things up in my head again
    12-22-08 05:55 PM
    Probably......lol
    12-22-08 05:56 PM
    Thats kinda like me, only for me I get upset when the question has been asked already and it is still on the front page. That just tells me that the person didn't even scroll down half the page to find the same problem/answer.
    12-22-08 05:56 PM
    Thats kinda like me, only for me I get upset when the question has been asked already and it is still on the front page. That just tells me that the person didn't even scroll down half the page to find the same problem/answer.
    you mean 70% of threads in here?
    12-22-08 05:57 PM
    you mean 70% of threads in here?
    well.... yes...
    12-22-08 05:59 PM
    I actually see both sides of it...if I have a question with something I thoroughly search for it first...but there are alot of people that aren't on here day in and day out...as threads quickly fill up during the day, its easy to have threads disappear in other pages...If you get "tired" of looking at ppl not searching then don't look at the thread...I really don't get when ppl take the time out to say search...if you can take the time out to do that, then you might as well answer the question...anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
    12-22-08 06:03 PM

However, this works in vice versa. With some people, you begin to just expect a smartass/rude/snide comment, or just an overall "bothered" attitude that, in such a wonderful place like this, should be calmed, quieted, or just not even posted. With that being said, Mr. Nguyen, I feel you fall into this second category after seeing your responses in numerous threads. I dont think there is anyone amongst these "regulars" who are as condescending on a consistent level as you are. Now, I do understand that you know a good amount about the device, much more so than many of these people that are posting replica threads, but that doesnt mean you need to go about answering or "helping" them in a condescending manner. It would be a shame to turn someone off to a community that can be so helpful in hundreds of different ways. It's not fair to those who are new and just looking for a question to be answered, and not fair to those who have answered the same question 30 times, and are still willing to do so tomorrow or the next day.

I find Don to be helpful in his own way.
    Yeah he always "preaches" about the search function,but I noticed he does provide the links that are helpful to the person(s) asking a question that has been asked before.
    (most of the time.)

I like the fact he's straight forward.
    I always try use the search function whenever I need help.
    Just like google, the search function is your friend.

EDIT:
    Can anyone tell me why my info in my profile never shows up beside my screen name?
    When I save/update it, it shows.
    When I return later on in the day, or check my replies it disappears.
    Any answers?
    Last edited by Fan-boi 9000; 12-22-08 at 06:09 PM.
    12-22-08 06:04 PM
    I find Don to be helpful in his own way.
    Yeah he always "preaches" about the search function,but I noticed he does provide the links that are helpful to the person(s) asking a question that has been asked before.
    (most of the time.)

I like the fact he's straight forward.
    I always try use the search function whenever I need help.
    Just like google, the search function is your friend.
    OMG...someone gets me...did **** freeze over?
    12-22-08 06:06 PM
    OMG...someone gets me...did **** freeze over?
    looks like now you have to change up your role to be more confusing... try being the guy that gives the answer to questions, but does it in a vague manner. lol
    Last edited by Clover86; 12-22-08 at 06:14 PM.
    12-22-08 06:11 PM
    looks like now you have to change up your role to be more confusing... try being the guy that gives the answer to questions, but does it in a vague manner. lol
    i'll might definitely give that a little deep thought
    12-22-08 06:13 PM
    i'll might definitely give that a little deep thought
    Example: "you can find the answer to your question here http://forums.crackberry.com/search.php"
    12-22-08 06:14 PM
    One of the problems is that theres so many people posting in the Storm forum. I mean, threads that people posted in this morning, are many pages back by now. That has something to do with it. Also, newer members are caught up in the moment and in their device and simply don't think about searching. It will get better. But when someone does, please don't flame them. Simply answer the question and maybe politely mention search or just move on and let someone else answer.
    12-22-08 06:15 PM
    One of the problems is that theres so many people posting in the Storm forum. I mean, threads that people posted in this morning, are many pages back by now. That has something to do with it. Also, newer members are caught up in the moment and in their device and simply don't think about searching. It will get better. But when someone does, please don't flame them. Simply answer the question and maybe politely mention search or just move on and let someone else answer.
    funny you mention that...i tried to do that earlier and they jumped on me...
    12-22-08 06:16 PM
    I have an idea!

Instead of replying to a question with a statement telling people to use the search function. Reply with a link to the discussion or article in question that contains the information they are looking for.

It is not always easy for everyone to find the information they need and if you are aware of where they can find it then pointing them in the right direction is the courteous thing to do.

On the other hand if you only "think" you saw the same topic through search then it's not fair to send someone on a search wild goose chase.

My 2 cents.
    12-22-08 06:17 PM
    funny you mention that...i tried to do that earlier and they jumped on me...
    "search before you post" is not really friendly, even if you put a please in front of it. imho. Just me, though I guess.
    12-22-08 06:19 PM
    "search before you post" is not really friendly, even if you put a please in front of it. imho. Just me, though I guess.
    i quoted my post for you viewing pleasure.

thank you, come again
    12-22-08 06:20 PM
    I have an idea!

Instead of replying to a question with a statement telling people to use the search function. Reply with a link to the discussion or article in question that contains the information they are looking for.

It is not always easy for everyone to find the information they need and if you are aware of where they can find it then pointing them in the right direction is the courteous thing to do.

On the other hand if you only "think" you saw the same topic through search then it's not fair to send someone on a search wild goose chase.

My 2 cents.
    I try that a lot, most people don't like have to change to a different thread and read through the posts there. They would rather have an answer in THEIR thread.
    12-22-08 06:20 PM
    You missed the part of his message where he answered the question by linking to the existing thread.
    12-22-08 06:23 PM
222 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD