i think i counted 6 threads about the Today theme
    It just goes on and on and on. I don't believe it ever stops. Honestly, it would be alright if they weren't all about the same thing. O well.
    12-19-08 06:01 PM
    Yep, I agree.

There are some really nice people here ... many of them have responded to my posts and helped me out a lot. But in general here I see a lot of rude posts.

I am active in two other forums (not tech related) and there isn't the same aggressive vibe that I often see on here.

Yeah, but "aggressive" and "beastly" are different animals. Tech forums can be be a trip, because there's usually a good number of above-average-intelligence folks. Highly intelligent people sometimes struggle with arrogance. Huge heads. Throw in too much testosterone or estrogen, and the brew can be lethal.

You've go the "Grammar Police" and the "If you think that, then you're really DUMB" folks, and the "I know more than you know" folks. WOW!

"Rude" means different things to different people. "Do a search, you dummy!" is rude. Those type of posts should be reported.

But a community this size is full of people — different cultures, social backgrounds, and temperments. All communities (this size) have jerks. This is one of the tamest communities I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 12-19-08 at 06:12 PM.
    12-19-08 06:04 PM
    For instance, I just counted 12 threads on .83. And we all know 99% of them say the exact same thing. C R A Z Y.

See what you've started?
    12-19-08 06:05 PM
    if you guys wanna see some major forum pwnage, check out this thread on nsxprime

Easiest way to own a NSX - NSX Prime
    12-19-08 06:09 PM
    People just don't like repeating themselves. I hate repeating myself. But I've seen many issues where people have asked a question that a sticky thread has answered. It gets annoying when 10+ people ask the same question and the answer is a sticky.

Also, people don't read the entire thread. They read the thread title then post immediately without reading what others have written. If you don't want to be on the receiving end of hate, then you have to read, or at least skim, every page to make sure your questions are answered before you write.

This is how it is on all forums on the internet. Plus teh interwebs are serious business.
    12-19-08 06:09 PM
    See what you've started?
    Lol. I'll take the blame. For the threads that is. Not for the leak.
    12-19-08 06:10 PM
    People just don't like repeating themselves. I hate repeating myself. But I've seen many issues where people have asked a question that a sticky thread has answered. It gets annoying when 10+ people ask the same question and the answer is a sticky.

Also, people don't read the entire thread. They read the thread title then post immediately without reading what others have written. If you don't want to be on the receiving end of hate, then you have to read, or at least skim, every page to make sure your questions are answered before you write.

This is how it is on all forums on the internet. Plus teh interwebs are serious business.
    i get PISSED when my gf asks me the same thing a bunch of times...
    12-19-08 06:18 PM
    I haven't visited as much lately, either. I appreciate that we have a lot of new BB users with the Storm, but I feel like crackberry has lost some of it's personality with all of the redundant posts.

I have faith that it will get better. Maybe I just need to adjust how I peruse the forum.
    Yeah...I still have some faith too. I really do enjoy this place and have learned a lot from it. And I'm not plannin on getting anything other than a BB anytime soon, so I'm pretty sure this will still be my mobile device safe-haven for years to come. I'll just have to wait a while for this Storm craze to die down a tad and I'll be active around here again.

But it's funny all this giddy lil newb stuff happened with the Storm release...anyone notice how it DIDN'T happen w/ the Bold? A lot of people were salivating for that device, and this place wasn't as..."active" (for lack of a better/not-rude word) as it is now. I dunno...just something I've noticed....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 08:14 PM
    Yeah...I still have some faith too. I really do enjoy this place and have learned a lot from it. And I'm not plannin on getting anything other than a BB anytime soon, so I'm pretty sure this will still be my mobile device safe-haven for years to come. I'll just have to wait a while for this Storm craze to die down a tad and I'll be active around here again.

But it's funny all this giddy lil newb stuff happened with the Storm release...anyone notice how it DIDN'T happen w/ the Bold? A lot of people were salivating for that device, and this place wasn't as..."active" (for lack of a better/not-rude word) as it is now. I dunno...just something I've noticed....

The term "Storm craze" would be an understatement.
    12-19-08 08:18 PM
    Quoted directly from the Forum Rules and Policies ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/ ) :

The administrator of this site posted this for a reason. These repetitive threads make the site alot harder to find information. It's one thing if someone made an honest attempt to search and couldnt find what they need. But when someone posts "My phone just did this.......anyone else have that happen?" then its obvious they didnt even bother searching. Seems that some people's opinion is that if a responder has time to type "Do a search", then they could have just answered the question. But the flipside of that they dont seem to want to realize is that if the poster had time to start a new thread, they should've had time to do a search!

I don't consider myself an oldtimer around here. I don't have a super high post count. But I do find it annoying listening to a bunch of whiners that would rather have the information spoonfed to them, than try and learn something on their own. Want an example of what I'm talking about? Here's a list of recent new threads....every one of them about the same thing:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...estion-114653/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/doe...nybody-115812/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...ported-100647/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...mwares-110834/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tak...9530-a-105192/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...g-back-110365/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sho...y-back-103703/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/video-issues-116939/

Honestly....tell me you would read through every single one of these and take the time to type out an answer over and over again?

EDIT: Let me add one more that was started while I was posting.....
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...essage-117986/
    I'm not sure why the F you decided to lump my thread in here with this post.

Almost all those other threads are about the "unsupported video format" error. Mine was the vid cam freezes the phone - a separate issue IMO. Nidisa's general thread about taking video on the Storm seemed to die after my last post so I decided to start a new one with my specific issue, pretty much for informational purposes only(I had tested the cam with all the different firmwares and a variety of other variables). Anyways if you(or anyone) can direct me to a thread that covered my issue, I will be more than happy to delete mine. I don't really like being lumped in as a non-searching whiner because I did do plenty of searching.
    12-19-08 08:39 PM
    And LOL@U ever1ast for posting a "thank you" in my thread when you are gonna turn around and elude to me being one of the whiners. I don't really care, just found that amusing.
    12-19-08 08:44 PM
    Let's not let this thread get out of hand too.

12-19-08 09:04 PM
    Maybe if the search appeared as a more obvious bar on the top of the page rather then something you have to actually search for it would help solve the “Search first” problem.

Indexing it so people can reference off what they type would make it more effective as well.
    12-20-08 12:08 AM
    i totally agree too!
    as a newbie, i dont want to feel intimidated or afraid to post a question for the fear of receiving a rude reply.
    think having a blackberry in common should bring us all together not single out newbies from the experts.
    that being said, this only applies to a minor few. otherwise i find this website and all those in it to be very knowledgeable and willing to help.
    12-20-08 12:19 AM
    I'm a noob with only 30 posts. This is my first BB. But I have asked only one question the entire time. That's because I read and search. It's not hard.

I've got a ton of apps, have backed them up and reinstalled them after 2 wipes and 2 OS upgrades with CX's switch device trick, have removed the vad modules with JavaLoader in BMC, added the augmented autotext file, changed the background pic in TalkLock, etc, etc.

All with only posting one question, and certainly without starting any dumb, redundant, aggravating threads that ask the same question for the 100th time.

These reposts and clone threads have clogged up this forum, and I don't see any excuse for this kind of lazy behavior.
    12-20-08 12:41 AM
    Maybe if the search appeared as a more obvious bar on the top of the page rather then something you have to actually search for it would help solve the �Search first� problem.

Indexing it so people can reference off what they type would make it more effective as well.
    Write the script for the forum and I'm sure we can come to terms.
    12-20-08 12:41 AM
    I'm a noob with only 30 posts. This is my first BB. But I have asked only one question the entire time. That's because I read and search. It's not hard.

I've got a ton of apps, have backed them up and reinstalled them after 2 wipes and 2 OS upgrades with CX's switch device trick, have removed the vad modules with JavaLoader in BMC, added the augmented autotext file, changed the background pic in TalkLock, etc, etc.

All with only posting one question, and certainly without starting any dumb, redundant, aggravating threads that ask the same question for the 100th time.

These reposts and clone threads have clogged up this forum, and I don't see any excuse for this kind of lazy behavior.
    We are the same.
    12-20-08 12:42 AM
    I'm not sure why the F you decided to lump my thread in here with this post.

Almost all those other threads are about the "unsupported video format" error. Mine was the vid cam freezes the phone - a separate issue IMO. Nidisa's general thread about taking video on the Storm seemed to die after my last post so I decided to start a new one with my specific issue, pretty much for informational purposes only(I had tested the cam with all the different firmwares and a variety of other variables). Anyways if you(or anyone) can direct me to a thread that covered my issue, I will be more than happy to delete mine. I don't really like being lumped in as a non-searching whiner because I did do plenty of searching.
    Maybe yours was the exception, but how can the duplicate unneccessary threads be pointed out if the threads they're duplicating aren't indicated? Quit taking it as an affront to your character. This wasn't posted as a personal attack on you.
    12-20-08 12:43 AM
    I think just about everything has been said. I am going to add that I think we are all here to help or try to help. And when it comes to some of the people say oh I just sent my storm back and replaced it with phone X but they don't explain why that is just a waste of there time and mine.

However when I say I am having x problem and I put it in a relating thread and no one ever bothers reading it or at least masging me back about it even when I have done the search and did not want to add another thread about it that is just begging to have another thread added and yet if I do am I going to have to worry about getting flamed?? that kind of thing has made me wonder about wanting to be on this forum. I still think the info out weighs the negativity that I get but it comes close. So for all the people that have been on here for a while what would you prefer those of us do. I mean you can look at how many posts I have and see I do not post or respond just to see my self heard.
    12-20-08 12:45 AM
    i totally agree too!
    as a newbie, i dont want to feel intimidated or afraid to post a question for the fear of receiving a rude reply.
    think having a blackberry in common should bring us all together not single out newbies from the experts.
    that being said, this only applies to a minor few. otherwise i find this website and all those in it to be very knowledgeable and willing to help.
    If someone on this forum is being called a newb, it has nothing to do with Blackberry's and everything to do with their internet skillz.
    12-20-08 12:45 AM
    Also, it's good to use the "Title" box efficiently. Typing, "HELP Me-eeee!!!" or "I'm a stupid newbie with a question" gives no indication of the nature of your post � which doesn't help in searching and contributes to the abundance of redundant posts.

Your post may be about my issue, but it may not � so that means I may miss my issue being addressed, because I scroll past it, because it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I'm looking to find. I'm going to look for post titles, primarily, and pass up the rest.

"My message indicator light doesn't work", and "Having trouble accessing email" are examples of good post titles. It helps those who may have the same problem, find the help they need. But I guess we all have to be concerned about everyone finding the help they need.
    12-20-08 12:47 AM
    However when I say I am having x problem and I put it in a relating thread and no one ever bothers reading it or at least masging me back about it even when I have done the search and did not want to add another thread about it that is just begging to have another thread added and yet if I do am I going to have to worry about getting flamed??
    Why not say that in your new thread - I searched and posted my question in another thread and it was overlooked so I am asking again. This way you are letting others know you made an attempt to find an answer. With so many silly posts some threads get missed. People aren't intentionally not answering your question.

12-20-08 12:57 AM

However when I say I am having x problem and I put it in a relating thread and no one ever bothers reading it or at least masging me back about it even when I have done the search and did not want to add another thread about it that is just begging to have another thread added and yet if I do am I going to have to worry about getting flamed?? that kind of thing has made me wonder about wanting to be on this forum. I still think the info out weighs the negativity that I get but it comes close. So for all the people that have been on here for a while what would you prefer those of us do. I mean you can look at how many posts I have and see I do not post or respond just to see my self heard.
    If you ask another question in a somewhat related thread and have done a search and have not gotten the answer then post a new thread, you tried to get the solution in the best way possibly already. No harm done.

I see alot of talk about "being worried" they might get flamed or whatever for starting a new thread. You people need to grow thicker skin, dear lord this is only an internet forum. I would hate to see what you would do in real life if you dont know the answer to your question. If someone says something ignore it, laugh or whatever, dont get butthurt over it.

I agree completely with the above poster and thread titles, i mentioned it before also. There should be a damn sticky that says "If you dont have a decent thread title your post will be deleted!" This is one of the biggest helpers you can have on a site like this. It makes the search works 10x better and will cut down on duplicate threads quite a bit.
    12-20-08 12:59 AM
    geezus...some of the thread titles are f'in ridiculous
    12-20-08 01:01 AM
    It’s not my place to write a script... And many people who are new to BBS's don't realize posting on an old thread marks it as new and moves it to front for all to see. So that’s why your get multiple posts.

If it’s not designed user friendly don’t complain when users abuse it. Adding search capabilities to the menu before starting a new topic will cut down on the multiple “same topic” posts.
    12-20-08 01:59 AM
222 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD