Your soooooo nice!
    Don't take it personal
    You're a tree hugger aren't u?

I totally agree with the OP message. Never hugged a tree here!!
    12-18-08 09:52 AM
    Everyone isn't rude! *At least not me* Some people just always have a smart comment. Don't take it personally!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:57 AM
    And to the people who say "why post anything if you're not going to help," while again I agree the rudeness can be toned down, you get these sickening posts with "BUMP!!" "ANYONE?!?!?!" "PLEASE HELP!!!" over and over from the OP until someone turns around and says something.
    Oh well, I guess at the end of the day there's no perfect solution, but we can all hope for a perfect forum world, right?
    Folks will post a question @ 12:15pm, and bump it @ 12:20 — or/and act annoyed that no one has replied to their post. I see it all the time.

"Is anyone there????", "No replies????", as if folks are just crouched in an internet corner, waiting to spring on a question with an immediate answer. Patience swings both ways. Sometimes folks are at work, and are already close to gettin' canned, for being online. They may not be willing to risk losing a job, to respond to your reply in 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 12-18-08 at 10:38 AM.
    12-18-08 10:34 AM
    on the topic.. please check this thread out!

CrackBerry Forum's New Year's Resolution
    I sincerely hope everyone takes time to read this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I've been here for awhile. I've helped some people and been slammed by others for not knowing something. There is always a learning process for newbies and we shouldn't beat them up because they didn't "search" for something. If this site that I love so much were to become known as the place where you "can't" post your questions - no matter how insignificant they are - people will stop coming. Guess what - rookies eventually turn into veterans and can come up with some GREAT ideas and contributions along the way. There are many BB forums out there and CB's diversity makes it the greatest. Just like a baby born today (that is inspired by those aroung him or her) could grow up to cure cancer - that same baby (if held back by others) could just as easily grow up to do nothing - someone here could make a priceless contribution to this site and CB should be known as a place that fosters that inspitation. After all - we all own BB's of some kind - that puts us on the SAME team.
    12-18-08 11:32 AM
    WOW...first time posting here. I belong to a number of forums..pdaphonehome, avsim, flightsim, and a host of others. The problem is when doing a search the search engine isn't specific enough. For a simple topic u might get 30-40 threads. This may be confusing to the newbie.
    OMG this post is FTW!!!!!one!!11!

the REASON a search is hard to perform is BECAUSE NOOBS POST NEW THREADS!! the reason you get 30-40 threads is b/c of NOOBS!!

if you don't want a confusing search with a billion threads, DON'T start a new one... Y IS IT SO HARD TO POST A QUESTION WITHIN AN EXISTING THREAD?

i have NOTHING against noobs (i'm still one) posting new threads, but they should be NEW THREADS... NOT REPEAT THREADS...

i do not understand the need to make a new thread b/c of slightly different questions..

MY POINT IS:
    if a thread is about the camera, but it takes 3 seconds to load, WHY is there a NEW thread about a camera that takes 3.5 SECONDS to load?????
    12-18-08 12:15 PM
    LOL - somebody found the font button!
    12-18-08 12:18 PM
    LOL - somebody found the font button!
    lol how'd u guess?

now a world of expressions has come and opened its doors to me!!!! bwaahahahaahaaa
    12-18-08 12:21 PM
    I sincerely hope everyone takes time to read this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I've been here for awhile. I've helped some people and been slammed by others for not knowing something. There is always a learning process for newbies and we shouldn't beat them up because they didn't "search" for something. If this site that I love so much were to become known as the place where you "can't" post your questions - no matter how insignificant they are - people will stop coming. Guess what - rookies eventually turn into veterans and can come up with some GREAT ideas and contributions along the way. There are many BB forums out there and CB's diversity makes it the greatest. Just like a baby born today (that is inspired by those aroung him or her) could grow up to cure cancer - that same baby (if held back by others) could just as easily grow up to do nothing - someone here could make a priceless contribution to this site and CB should be known as a place that fosters that inspitation. After all - we all own BB's of some kind - that puts us on the SAME team.

Agreed 100 percent. I'm still a newbie, and I've seen some posts here by regulars towards some new folks that have turned me off. While I can understand some repeat posts might be frustrating, it's not right to attack someone or belittle them over it. The point of a forum is to encourage interaction, not drive people away.

I'm hopful Kevin's message will turn folks around.
    12-18-08 12:36 PM
    I guess some l33t forumites think they have the right to point out your obvious failings as a human being lol.

But for every rude answer you'll get a few helpful ones to.
    12-18-08 12:54 PM
    Seriously though, if some of the people in here talked to people in the real world the way they talk in here there would be a lot of broken noses.

Ummmmmmm u forgot foot planted deeply in A$$...............

Ahhhh yeah those were the ones who got beat up all the time as little kids....
    Ummmm yeah thats it
    12-18-08 01:03 PM
    I totally agree with the OP message. Never hugged a tree here!!
    Ummm yeah ummm I have hugged a tree before;
    BUT I WAS TRYING TO IMPRESS A CHICK OK!!!!!!
    Ok happy now
    12-18-08 01:05 PM
    I think everyone should visit the Help/Faq forum and read everything in there if they are new to Blackberry devices.

FAQ's and stickies should be first stop. I know from personal experience that searching isn't always an easy thing. If you don't know what the problem is, name what the name of your problem is or how to phrase your question you get poor results.

Complete neebies have this problem alot. They just are not sure what to call their problem.
    Last edited by Jas O; 12-18-08 at 01:43 PM.
    12-18-08 01:13 PM
    Hopefully I'm not one of those "Obnoxious Regulars" I try to answer the questions that I can and direct folks to the answers IF I know where they are located. I sometimes laugh though at clueless noobs (was one myself not so long ago) AND the cynical oldtimers that post those, sometimes, obnoxious quips.

All in all, I think we got a GREAT community here at Crackberry and in the Storm sub Forum!
    12-18-08 01:28 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/first-crash-118298/

This poor guy has a real deal problem with his Storm, this and all the other fufu threads around here have buried him to the 2nd page twice now.
    To the OP welcome to CB, but to everyone, please read the posting rules and at a minimum all the new members should at least take a glimpse at the 101 series, alot of time and effort was invested in it..

Bad manners, rude, sorry, but there are actually people that frequent this place or come here with issues that depend on their BBs working properly as part of their job.

Section this thread belongs in

Last edited by fonebrkr; 12-18-08 at 02:13 PM.
    12-18-08 01:42 PM
    In before obnoxious regulars!!

Wait...to late...
    12-18-08 01:49 PM
    Quoted directly from the Forum Rules and Policies ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/ ) :

The administrator of this site posted this for a reason. These repetitive threads make the site alot harder to find information. It's one thing if someone made an honest attempt to search and couldnt find what they need. But when someone posts "My phone just did this.......anyone else have that happen?" then its obvious they didnt even bother searching. Seems that some people's opinion is that if a responder has time to type "Do a search", then they could have just answered the question. But the flipside of that they dont seem to want to realize is that if the poster had time to start a new thread, they should've had time to do a search!...
    I agree.

While the intent of this forum is to share tips/info... it is quickly growing in size/thread count because people are NOT reading the information posted in current threads... and just creating a new thread re-asking... as this happens, the thread counts in the forum will spiral out of control, growing so big that people will say "its too much to read" and just re-ask, causing it to grow, and grow turning this forum from useful... to useless...

That is why most "long term vets" of the forums get upset, and that being upset might come across as being rude in their posts.

The more duplicate posts/threads, the more diluted the information contained in the forum becomes, the more diluted, the harder it is to extract good/needed information which can help people learn. Can't extract/find the information, then more posts asking the same questions..

Its an endless cycle.

And I've even seen NEW people respond with "search".. I guess they figure they took the time to search, read and learn, why can't everyone?

This problem happens every where. I frequent HoFo alot.. check out some of the "Pre-Release" threads... they grow so big, (several times they have several pre-rerelease threads due to them becoming so large!) all because of people asking the same questions over and over and over.. they become useless because it takes so long to weed out the NEW and USEFUL information.

I've only been a registered member here for a short time, but I have visited and read often prior to registering. As the storm has been released, and I visit this forum/section, I see so many threads, and so many duplicates, I can understand new people getting lost or having troubles finding information...

BUT on the flip side, I can see how this can/will upset others because its just repeats and now they have to waste their time sifting through all the threads/posts to find something that isn't a repeat.

BOTH sides on this issue need to be more understanding of this problem. It will never go away.

The board owners/mods/admins have tried by putting up FAQ and How To's, hoping that new visitors will read and use that information.

Some forum members have tried to start Wikis with information. But public Wiki's, while commendable, take considerable effort to ensure their accuracy. I should know after trying to keep up my pages with VZW Moto Hacking info... If the information isn't accurate, the wiki or web site is worthless and only serves to frustrate new users even more.

I think, as mentioned before, there needs to be some Board/Forum Etiquette.

While done more on the humorous side, -> Flash &#187; Posting And You... <- is a good start, and pretty accurate.
    12-18-08 02:46 PM

I think, as mentioned before, there needs to be some Board/Forum Etiquette.

While done more on the humorous side, -> Flash � Posting And You... <- is a good start, and pretty accurate.
    I was going to post that myself because it is something all people should see.

I know you can put "limits" on what members can and cant do. On some boards there are rules like 50 posts before you can start a thread. I am not saying this should be implemented but I know this would cut down a little.

This poor guy has a real deal problem with his Storm, this and all the other fufu threads around here have buried him to the 2nd page twice now.
    This is a huge problem that i see developing. There are legit questions that get pushed 2-3 pages deep in a couple hours behind repeat threads and such.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kilo7
    WOW...first time posting here. I belong to a number of forums..pdaphonehome, avsim, flightsim, and a host of others. The problem is when doing a search the search engine isn't specific enough. For a simple topic u might get 30-40 threads. This may be confusing to the newbie.

OMG this post is FTW!!!!!one!!11!

the REASON a search is hard to perform is BECAUSE NOOBS POST NEW THREADS!! the reason you get 30-40 threads is b/c of NOOBS!!

if you don't want a confusing search with a billion threads, DON'T start a new one... Y IS IT SO HARD TO POST A QUESTION
    WITHIN AN EXISTING THREAD?

i have NOTHING against noobs (i'm still one) posting new threads, but they should be NEW THREADS... NOT REPEAT THREADS...

i do not understand the need to make a new thread b/c of slightly different questions..

I completely agree with this too. On the other board i moderate i will merge as many threads as possible if I can. Sometimes I will post a link to another thread where the discussion is already going on and lock the new thread. He can then read up and others can share their insight on the other thread also.

Bottom line is there is no easy solution. Both sides have valid points, we all have to give and take to make this board the best we can.

12-18-08 03:14 PM

To the OP welcome to CB, but to everyone, please read the posting rules and at a minimum all the new members should at least take a glimpse at the 101 series, alot of time and effort was invested in it..

Bad manners, rude, sorry, but there are actually people that frequent this place or come here with issues that depend on their BBs working properly as part of their job.

Section this thread belongs in

Now...this is SO true! This is the flipside to all of this. People can be so selfish and demanding for information (yep, that's possible) that they don't think about how much more difficult it is to find the information needed.
    12-18-08 04:14 PM
    if someone makes fun of me, I'm gonna tee off on them for weeks.
    12-18-08 04:19 PM
    This is what you get with a message board. Repeats. Its the nature of the beast. I'm on page 3 of this thread already and I've noticed something missing. The people most often involved in "page 1 attacks" are mysteriously absent. Unless they show up from this point on.

12-18-08 04:28 PM
    Should folks tell a newbie, "Use the search feature, before starting a new topic"? Yes, they should. If that's "rude", then thin skins need to thicken up a bit.
    Good point. Just as there seems to be a recent trend to point out people's lack of using search, there also seem to be an opposite faction that feels justified in slamming anyone who suggests a search should have been done. Let's call them the Noobie Militia, lol. For simply stating 'this has been covered already' I've been accused of being rude and arrogant and told to stay out of threads. The "militia" so to speak is just as guilty of this rudeness they're railing against. So to all the members out there getting your feelings hurt - get a grip. Oh...and learn to use search
    Last edited by ever1ast; 12-19-08 at 12:15 AM.
    12-18-08 10:43 PM
    But folks, it's more than newbies who don't use the search features. I personally do a ton of research before I'll start a new thread, but that's just me.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is when someone posts a fun little thread to discuss something interesting or trivial about how we do things with our BBs. In response, they'll get slammed by someone else telling them how dumb the thread is and what a waste of time it was to even start it. IOW, if *I* think this thread is silly and a waste of time, then *YOU* are foolish to have started it.

Isn't it kind of hypocritical to post on a thread telling someone what a waste of time the thread is? That, to me, is the epitome of arrogance and rudeness. I can understand *some* of the frustrations with people who won't search, but there is NO excuse for the example above. If you think it's silly, don't post on it and move on to something else. What are you really accomplishing by insulting the OP or other posters on the thread?

Politeness is the lubricant of a civil society. I think Crackberry can and should be a civil "society".

Carry on!
    12-18-08 11:51 PM
    Okay, I am gonna add something that irritates me. It really irritates me when someone announces something that they have no idea about. We explain they are incorrect and why and they continue to argue they are correct. Then someone else just reads part of a thread and continues to spread the wrong information as fact.

This is happening more and more lately and is quickly becoming one of my pet peeves.

12-19-08 07:34 AM
    IMO, we have small segment(out of 500,000) that choose to make comments that are not warranted or productive to the recipient, or CrackBerry- regardless of the forum rules. It's unfortunate, but, it happens. Two misconceptions by many. A newbie to the site does not mean being new to the device. Also, most members are "not" going to respond back to negative attack comments. Just enjoy the site and hit the button in the corner if you feel offended. I would simply overlook a lot of the negativity

12-19-08 07:34 AM
    It seems like if you have some inside knowledge about RIM or the carriers, or if you're one of the top fanboys around here, you basically get a free pass to abuse other users. Oh well...
    12-19-08 07:48 AM
222 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD