WOW...first time posting here. I belong to a number of forums..pdaphonehome, avsim, flightsim, and a host of others. The problem is when doing a search the search engine isn't specific enough. For a simple topic u might get 30-40 threads. This may be confusing to the newbie. Alot of threads may have a sentence with the topic matter but not the resolution. I have done numerous searches, and many times have not found what i wanted. I have also had this issue at XDA. I read some of the repost of people complaining and it like nerds PMSing, at one point your were probably annoying as well. Its uncalled for and generally adds more congestion to the original post. This is also inline with people(which are generally not newbies but regulars) who battle off topic about knows more about programing(flaming) which is another waste of time. keep your heads up newbies, we were there once as well!!
    12-18-08 02:58 AM
    Unfortunately it is similar in most forums, I wish folks would get banned for rude behavior--it is aggravating to read. If a question bothers someone, then they should move on, why take time to "flame on"....it's stupid.
    12-18-08 07:00 AM
    Try using google instead of the CB search, the first 20 links google brings up are almost always CB topics and its a better search engine then the forum has

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 07:12 AM
    Another thing which I would not classify as obnoxious, but is annoying, is people who respond to a question with some version of "I don't know the answer." Why bother posting?
    12-18-08 07:14 AM
    Another thing which I would not classify as obnoxious, but is annoying, is people who respond to a question with some version of "I don't know the answer." Why bother posting?
    To let people know they are not being ignored - on of my pet peeves. And to bump the post up so maybe someone more knowledgeable will find the post. To keep posts from being lost in a crowd of frivelous posts.

12-18-08 07:19 AM
    To let people know they are not being ignored - on of my pet peeves. And to bump the post up so maybe someone more knowledgeable will find the post. To keep posts from being lost in a crowd of frivelous posts.

If that is the appears to be the reason, I will stifle my annoyance.
    12-18-08 07:24 AM
    Quoted directly from the Forum Rules and Policies ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/ ) :

The administrator of this site posted this for a reason. These repetitive threads make the site alot harder to find information. It's one thing if someone made an honest attempt to search and couldnt find what they need. But when someone posts "My phone just did this.......anyone else have that happen?" then its obvious they didnt even bother searching. Seems that some people's opinion is that if a responder has time to type "Do a search", then they could have just answered the question. But the flipside of that they dont seem to want to realize is that if the poster had time to start a new thread, they should've had time to do a search!

I don't consider myself an oldtimer around here. I don't have a super high post count. But I do find it annoying listening to a bunch of whiners that would rather have the information spoonfed to them, than try and learn something on their own. Want an example of what I'm talking about? Here's a list of recent new threads....every one of them about the same thing:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...estion-114653/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/doe...nybody-115812/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...ported-100647/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...mwares-110834/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tak...9530-a-105192/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vid...g-back-110365/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sho...y-back-103703/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/video-issues-116939/

Honestly....tell me you would read through every single one of these and take the time to type out an answer over and over again?

EDIT: Let me add one more that was started while I was posting.....
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...essage-117986/
    Amen brother. The more repeat post the worse the search function becomes garbage in garbage out
    People need to spend a little time and educate themselves not be fed the answer. And we sit and wonder why the economy is in the crapper do for yourself and don't have others do for you

12-18-08 07:32 AM
    I hate when I ask a question and get absolutely no response. I can't tell you the number of questions I have asked and to this date do not have an answer.

12-18-08 07:35 AM
    Part of the problem is that when these repeat threads come up, no one deletes them. If there was a way to report duplicate threads so that they could be deleted and then make the OP aware that their thread has been deleted because the topic has already been discussed/covered followed by polite instructions on how to use the search, that would be the optimal solution.

12-18-08 07:46 AM
    I hate when I ask a question and get absolutely no response. I can't tell you the number of questions I have asked and to this date do not have an answer.

I have to agree with this. Not that any of mine have not been answered but there are some out there where someone has asked questions, and maybe 20-30 have read it but know one answers.

Also i have come to realize that some of the first time posters, are exactly that. They probably have never accessed any type of forum. Yesterday I tried to help a guy find a post. I dont think he realized his first post was now on the second page, his comment was somthing to the effect where is my post. Just my opinions. Crackberry has helped me alot with my 8830 and now the storm.
    12-18-08 08:00 AM
    This is a good thread. It has constructive discussion and criticsm as well as being funny in parts.

THee have been loads of points raised and I will try to respond to the major ones. If I miss yuors, please stand up and say so. and if I do not have the answer then I'll try and find it for you.

WHY DO WE ASK PEOPLE TO SEARCH BEFORE POSTING?: Most problems people experience have already been had and answred by others. In fact, this is a virtual certainty so searching will almost always find the answer somewhere. Probmel is, knowing what to ask and exactly how to search. It's like you can serach for the answer only when you know the answer. The solution here is really to try a search and then post if you don;t find what you are looking for. People also post problems out of panic or frustration. I know that I have done this. The phone won't work, your are tired, it's late and you really need an answer so you post and get flamed. There Ain't No Justice.

BAD LANGUAGE AND MANNERS: There is no excuse for this and we do not tolerate it. However in this very thread there was a spelling error that was genuinely funny. Even so, someone has reported it. I suspect that they did not read the whole thread and the accidental context of the word in question. We try to be a broad mined as possible and with a 500 000 member community that is, trust me, peretty wide indeed.

OLDSTER REGULARS FLAMING NEWBIES: Us old guys should know better. A bunch of grumpy old men. We answer the same questions time and again. We post the same links time and again. We also have bad days time and again. As a Moderator, I HAVE to remain plote so sometimes I just do not post or, I write it and then don't post it. Usually I feel better. Some of the people who get flamed, imo, deserve it. "Why no free software, WTF." as a thread title is almost guaranteed to get flamed especially if it is followed up by a post body text of "The iPhone and WinMo phones have loads of free software so wtf should I have to pay for games and apps on the crappy BlackBerry?" If this comes from a Newbie as his 1st post then trouble ususally follows. Attitude is everything but once a fracas has started, there is usually no stopping it.

These 3 points seem to cover most of the points in this thread but please do ask if you feel that I have missed anythng or not been clear.

I will not be posting tomorrow as I am out driving t the UK from Switzerland and its a 600 mile drive and including the ferry across the ENglich channel will take me a good 10 hours so I may not feel like posting when I get to the other end.
    12-18-08 08:14 AM
    I agree why waste time yelling at someone, when you can just help out?
    12-18-08 08:21 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to this site. I think its great and has replaced many of my trusty reliable websites as the first site i go to first thing in the morning. Im super excited with my new storm. I really don't know why their are any complaints with this phone because i think its the greatest phone i have ever used. Sure its a little quirky at times and their are things that could make it perfect but compared to my Treo 700P its like its made in a different century. So....on to the point if your still reading...

Why do people feel the need to post rude obnoxious responses to people who aren't really familiar with everything Blackberry or this site? Believe it or not there are actually people whose lives don't revolve around their phone.....If someone googles a problem they have and Crackberry comes up of course they are going to try to post something asap so they can get their questions answered. That is kind of the point of a message board isn't it. Social interaction. Dose it really bother people that much to read a post that might have been answered already? And if you have already wasted your time reading it... Why would you waste your time answering it with a rude response? If your going to post a rude response why don't you just take the time to answer the question..I dont know...i just find myself getting more annoyed with people complaining about other people searching than i do when someone might as a stupid or redundant question.

GO STORM!

-KG
    Well, I guess I'm going to go against the flow, with my reply.

First off, online communities are full of rude people — just like in real space. People love to be rude and insulting online, because they don't have to risk being knocked to the ground. Those same folks would be very different, in person. Yes, it's cowardly...but that's the way it is. But I must tell you, this forum is TAME, compared to some others I used to frequent. Trust me. If you think Crackbery is anywhere close to how nasty it can get, you're wrong.

Ignore rude people, or spend a lot of time writing posts like this one. Use the "Report post" button, and alert the moderators — if you think the rules are being violated.

Now, the second point:

I have my own online community. I've spent a lot time organizing information, and making that information easy to find. It takes lots of time and energy, to organize information and make that info easily accessible.

As a newbie (at any online community) it's best to look around first, and take a bit of time to become familiar with the surroundings, before you start posting. You'll find lots of information that way. Sometimes the search feature doesn't work, and when it does work, it's not perfect. But often it's just an issue of not even taking the time to look around, and investigate. There should not be 50 threads, with "How do I upload music to my BB?" as the topic. I would think, as a newbie, that the question has probably been answered, and I can save some time by doing a quick search.

I learned basic research skills in high school, and I understand that folks do get annoyed when new members come aboard and totally IGNORE the surroundings. Make some effort to find information on your own. Don't come in with a, "Water me up, I'm a sponge!" attitude. BTW, I'm not saying that's you, I'm speaking in general terms.

Folks shouldn't be rude — but some are. Should folks tell a newbie, "Use the search feature, before starting a new topic"? Yes, they should. If that's "rude", then thin skins need to thicken up a bit. Because those who've spent time setting up (and contributing to) the resources may interpret my (or your) unwillingness to do a preliminary search as rude or inconsiderate behavior. There's always more than one perspective.

So, don't let rude people steal your joy.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 12-18-08 at 08:41 AM.
    12-18-08 08:22 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to this site. I think its great and has replaced many of my trusty reliable websites as the first site i go to first thing in the morning. Im super excited with my new storm. I really don't know why their are any complaints with this phone because i think its the greatest phone i have ever used. Sure its a little quirky at times and their are things that could make it perfect but compared to my Treo 700P its like its made in a different century. So....on to the point if your still reading...

Why do people feel the need to post rude obnoxious responses to people who aren't really familiar with everything Blackberry or this site? Believe it or not there are actually people whose lives don't revolve around their phone.....If someone googles a problem they have and Crackberry comes up of course they are going to try to post something asap so they can get their questions answered. That is kind of the point of a message board isn't it. Social interaction. Dose it really bother people that much to read a post that might have been answered already? And if you have already wasted your time reading it... Why would you waste your time answering it with a rude response? If your going to post a rude response why don't you just take the time to answer the question..I dont know...i just find myself getting more annoyed with people complaining about other people searching than i do when someone might as a stupid or redundant question.

GO STORM!

-KG

Jesus, dummy, don't you know anything. Spending every minute on a message board and posting over 6000 times gives you authority over said message board and thus you can be really aggregious to people and it's ok.

Seriously though, if some of the people in here talked to people in the real world the way they talk in here there would be a lot of broken noses.

It's a simple as this. In life, some people have trouble asserting themselves and finding their nitch. So, they come here, to an essentially consequence free environment, an let loose on other people. It's the only place in the world that they feel they have a voice and some sort of power.
    12-18-08 08:40 AM
    Well, I guess I'm going to go against the flow, with my reply.

First off, online communities are full of rude people � just like in real space. People love to be rude and insulting online, because they don't have to risk being knocked to the ground. Those same folks would be very different, in person. Yes, it's cowardly...but that's the way it is. But I must tell you, this forum is TAME, compared to some others I used to frequent. Trust me. If you think Crackbery is anywhere close to how nasty it can get, you're wrong.

Ignore rude people, or spend a lot of time writing posts like this one. Use the "Report post" button, and alert the moderators � if you think the rules are being violated.

Now, the second point:

I have my own online community. I've spent a lot time organizing information, and making that information easy to find. It takes lots of time and energy, to organize information and make that info easily accessible.

As a newbie (at any online community) it's best to look around first, and take a bit of time to become familiar with the surroundings, before you start posting. You'll find lots of information that way. Sometimes the search feature doesn't work, and when it does work, it's not perfect. But often it's just an issue of not even taking the time to look around, and investigate. There should not be 50 threads, with "How do I upload music to my BB?" as the topic. I would think, as a newbie, that the question has probably been answered, and I can save some time by doing a quick search.

I learned basic research skills in high school, and I understand that folks do get annoyed when new members come aboard and totally IGNORE the surroundings.

Folks shouldn't be rude � but some are. Should folks tell a newbie, "Use the search feature, before starting a new topic"? Yes, they should. If that's "rude", then thin skins need to thicken up a bit. Because those who've spent time setting up (and contributing to) the resources may interpret my (or your) unwillingness to do a preliminary search as rude or inconsiderate behavior. There's always more than one perspective.

So, don't let rude people steal your joy.
    i absolutely agree with you on all points! i would also like to add that sometimes saying "do a search" is mistaken for being "rude", when most of the time it is not. i think we all have to take into consideration that these conversations are being done online, therefore we cannot sense the tone that others are speaking with.
    12-18-08 08:43 AM
    i absolutely agree with you on all points! i would also like to add that sometimes saying "do a search" is mistaken for being "rude", when most of the time it is not. i think we all have to take into consideration that these conversations are being done online, therefore we cannot sense the tone that others are speaking with.
    There's this lovely IM feature here on crackberry. If you have a legitimate issue with someone's question/posting, all you have to do is send them a private. There really is no need to post it in the thread other than to point out someone's mistake/ foible/ flaws and show that you are Crackberry superior. Seriously, no one person on this board has anymore entitlement than any other. (except the mods and kevin of course).
    12-18-08 08:48 AM
    Good point! Trying to interpret "tone" can be tricky.
    12-18-08 08:49 AM
    Part of the problem is that when these repeat threads come up, no one deletes them. If there was a way to report duplicate threads so that they could be deleted and then make the OP aware that their thread has been deleted because the topic has already been discussed/covered followed by polite instructions on how to use the search, that would be the optimal solution.

There is a way. Report the post. Mods routinely combine duplicate posts by the same poster, where someone posts the same question in BB Discussion, the Storm Forum, and Newbies, for example. That's an honest mistake, especially since Newbies may think that increases their chance of getting an answer. But it takes time to clean that up. If three different users all ask the same question in slightly different words, we don't combine the posts. The logistics of doing that for 500 000 users would overwhelm the mod team.
    12-18-08 08:53 AM
    If you're going to go through the trouble of posting a reply, I think you could use some common courtesy and answer the OP's question...and you can suggest that, in the future, they should make an effort to search and see if the question has been raised previously before creating a new post.
    That's what I try to do (I may not always).

The thing that annoys me is newbies going into threads like the tips/tricks or OTA Apps stickies and posting random questions...especially if that question is answered in post #1. They just couldn't even take the time to read the very first post! I can understand not reading thousands of posts just to find the nugget of wisdom, but to not read at all?

BTW, my suggestion to newbies (on any forum) is to read more than you post. Also, read for a while before posting anything.
    12-18-08 08:57 AM
    on the topic.. please check this thread out!

CrackBerry Forum's New Year's Resolution
    12-18-08 08:58 AM
    Totally agreed saying to search IS helping in my opinion. There is a good mass of knowledge here already. That is why the forum doesn't delete all posts every 24 hours. Telling someone that they should have searched often opens their eyes to a whole new world.

Can you imagine of someone was to walk into a library with people all sitting around studying and reading to themselves quietly and just hollered out:

I NEED A BOOK ON WHY MY GPS DOESNT WORK!!! The librarian would tell them to shut the he!! up and show them how to use the dewey decimal system.
    You make a great point. The only problem I see is that you state "... show them how to use the dewey decimal system." Not "use the dewey decimal system. There is a difference and I think that is what most people are trying to say. If you are trying to claim that you are helping then help, if you dont want to help the dont say anything and move on. But simply saying use search is not fixing the problem. Telling some one how to use the search feature will help or posting the link to the section of the forum that talks about how to use search.
    12-18-08 09:02 AM
    I too had the 700p and find the Blackberry Storm a refreshing upgrade. I absolutely love it... even with it's flaws, which by the way will be fixed as time goes by I'm sure.

Good luck with yours and remember that even in a barrel of rotton apples there are many many good ones. I have only been on this site a short time as you have and I too LOVE IT. One of the best I've been on in a long time... and as far as the folks here... even the guys that make the negative comments are people to learn from. I have picked up a lot of good info here, even from some of the negative remarks.... You gotta take the good with the bad. Like real life man.... it takes all kinds to make a world..... and a good web site. Just go with the flow....
    Last edited by Mountain; 12-18-08 at 09:16 AM.
    12-18-08 09:14 AM
    One thing I've tried to do when answering or responding to a newbie especially when they apologize for asking a stupid question is to remind them that not only is there no stupid questions but only because we asked them first.
    I've always disagreed with the notion that there is no such thing as a stupid question. IMO, a stupid question is one that you have not tried to answer for yourself. The answer found on your own is far more valuable than the answer given to you.
    12-18-08 09:15 AM
    I have to agree; it is one thing poking fun (which I do a lot) . But when it is just mean spirited at someone elses expensec that is just not a nice thing to do. Like Kev posted in his New Years res link let us learn have fun and feel the love. If u feel the need to put someone down and are short of patience and become angry or upset because someone made a mistake in a phone forum or pretty much any area of life. There is something lacking somewhere else; or something that u really don't like about yourself that makes one lash out at others in a mean spirited way. Just mho.............
    It is ok to admonish kindly and poke fun in a friendly way...........
    Lets all keep it light have fun love and learn.
    Wow now that was niiiiiiiiiice
    12-18-08 09:25 AM
    As a newbie (at any online community) it's best to look around first, and take a bit of time to become familiar with the surroundings, before you start posting. You'll find lots of information that way.
    Precisely. I've spent weeks here following stuff about the Storm due to its impending arrival tomorrow, yet I only even opened an account a couple of days ago. Instead of posting a new "OMG WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO GET SHIPPED????" thread, I read the dozens of ones that already existed.

And to the people who say "why post anything if you're not going to help," while again I agree the rudeness can be toned down, you get these sickening posts with "BUMP!!" "ANYONE?!?!?!" "PLEASE HELP!!!" over and over from the OP until someone turns around and says something.

Oh well, I guess at the end of the day there's no perfect solution, but we can all hope for a perfect forum world, right?
    12-18-08 09:41 AM
222 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD