Today is the 5 year anniversary of the blackout...so I thought I would start a thread...

Share your Blackout stories...

Personally I was downtown Brooklyn buying my little sister sneakers when the blackout hit...the store owners thought their power got cut off until I told them that the street lights weren't working on the corner....
    Hot...Sticky...I watched people walk across the BQE...

What about you??
    08-14-08 04:44 PM
    I actually lived north of the city at the time. I was up in orange county at the time with a friend of mine, and all of a sudden all the traffic lights were out.

We decided to go to Walmart to kill time and the 24 hour walmart was CLOSED! We thought it was a sign of the apocalypse.

The next day I headed into the city with the Family to see STOMP but there was still no power in that area. Good times. Slept in the basement just to stay cool!!
    08-14-08 11:15 PM
    i cant remember that far back but is this the same blackout that affected ohio too? or is that a different blackout??
    08-15-08 10:25 PM
    Yeah, it hit pretty much the whole Northeast B/c something about a power plant up near (or in, cant remember) Canada blew and screwed with our grid
    08-15-08 10:38 PM
    I did!!!!! A few of my fish didnt survive it though
    08-15-08 10:42 PM
    yes...i DO remember this day...it was sooo awful...

i was working at applebees (oh my lovely college years) that night. i live in a city that has it's own electrical supply and there was still power to applebees. so what did EVERYONE do? they ALL came to applebees to eat since they couldnt cook at home and they were all cranky from having to wait and from being hot due to no AC at home...it was a night from h3ll!
    08-15-08 10:42 PM
    Well I was in cleveland close to where it all started it was a weird couple of days. But we had lots of ice to keep the beer cold lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 10:47 PM
    Haha I remember this day!! I was driving and all the street lights was not working it caused major traffic. I went into best buy and they let me know what was going on... Yes it was so HOT this day. When I got home my lights was out about 2 hrs but they came back on. I had a couple people come crash @ my place since we had power and AC... I was watching the news.
    08-15-08 10:50 PM
    yes...i DO remember this day...it was sooo awful...

i was working at applebees (oh my lovely college years) that night. i live in a city that has it's own electrical supply and there was still power to applebees. so what did EVERYONE do? they ALL came to applebees to eat since they couldnt cook at home and they were all cranky from having to wait and from being hot due to no AC at home...it was a night from h3ll!
    Lol thats funny. Good old applebees huh
    08-16-08 10:53 PM
    maaaaaaaaaaaaaan i remember this day.. i walked from Varick down by Canal all the way to 180 in the heights... once i got to 181 i had to deebo an old lady for the last spot on the bus that was going to Kingsbridge.. man i was pissed...
    08-18-08 12:09 AM
    Yes indeed I remember this day...

I was on my way to LGA headed to Orlando...I arrived at LGA late and was praying that I wasn't going to miss my flight. I checked in and the ticket agent was like hurry b/c your flight is boarding. I ran to the security checkpoint and the line was hella long then I knew it was a wrap. Finally, I got through security and was running top speed to the gate and just as I got there the door was closed. I showed my boarding pass to the lady at the counter and she said, we'll have to put you on the next flight.

Just when I opened my cell phone to make a call the lights and AC went off and everyone was clueless as to what was going on...security came over and said "we're having a blackout." I tried to make a call and had no reception (nextel svc); all I would get was call failed. Finally, after a few hours I was able to get in contact w/my fam whom were already in Orlando and let them know what was going on. As I sat in the hot a$$ airport I began to get annoyed and cranky; before I knew it the plane had arrived and we began boarding. We prepared for take-off and off we went...headed to ATL for the connecting flight to MCO!! I made it safe and sound, thank god.

There you have it, my blackout episode. LOL
    08-23-08 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD