Now this must have been embarassing What do you think? Justified? Or should she just have had a thorough "pat down"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A woman who claims she was ordered by federal airport screeners to remove her nipple rings with pliers demanded an apology from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration on Thursday.

Mandi Hamlin, 37, also called for an investigation into the February 24 incident in Lubbock, Texas, saying that snickering male agents violated TSA policy by forcing her to remove the jewelry.

"I felt surprised, embarrassed, humiliated, scared and angry," Hamlin told reporters at the offices of her Los Angeles attorney, Gloria Allred.

"This situation was totally out of control. I will not sit quietly. No one deserves to be treated this way."

The TSA, a unit of the Department of Homeland Security that was set up after the September 11 attacks on the United States in 2001, said it was investigating the incident but that agents were trained to search people with piercings in "sensitive areas" with dignity and respect.

"TSA is well aware of terrorists' interest in hiding dangerous items in sensitive areas of the body, therefore we have a duty to the American public to resolve any alarm we discover," the agency said in a written statement.

The TSA said incidents of female terrorists hiding explosives in "sensitive areas" were on the rise and provided a picture of a "bra bomb" that was used in training its agents.

Allred said the incident began when Hamlin, who has a number of piercings, set off a hand-held metal detector and told a TSA officer that her nipple rings were the problem.

A small group of TSA officers gathered around Hamlin, Allred said, and told her she would have to remove the jewelry from her nipples if she wanted to board her flight.

Hamlin went behind a curtain and removed one of her nipple piercings but could not budge the other, tearfully telling the officers it could not be taken out without pliers, Allred said.

"As Ms. Hamlin struggled to remove the piercing behind the curtain, she could hear a growing number of predominantly male TSA officers snickering in the background," the attorney said.

Allred said TSA policy called for a pat-down under such circumstances but did not require the piercings to be removed.
    03-28-08 04:03 PM
    I have never set off any alarms with my piercings!! That just sounds wrong!! If it was me I would have lifted up my shirt! LOL
    03-28-08 04:11 PM
    Was she hot? lol.
    03-28-08 04:56 PM
    She shouldn't have been made to remove them. A simple pat down or visual check by a female TSA would have been sufficient in my opinion.
    03-28-08 05:26 PM
    I think that that's a weekend ritual in Lubbuck. That and then a round of drunken cow tipping. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-08 05:29 PM
    I heard she actually did offer to just show it to a female officer and they declined and told her to take them out

03-28-08 05:32 PM
    Some TSA's can be very rude and this sounds like this might be a case of that and also them trying to show their power.
    03-28-08 05:40 PM
    I must have a metal plate in my head that my parents failed to tell me about because I always sent the metal detector off at the airport.

03-28-08 07:35 PM
    I have set off metal detectors with my piercings, with the same piercings as the article, and was told to step out of line. I was placed in a corral area and then scanned with a hand scanner by a female guard. My best friend (also pierced) was made to remove her shirt and show the agent her bra. I think it's rediculous personally. If you want me to flash you to prove I'm not smuggling an M80 in my bra fine, just say so. DON'T humilate me or try and force me to remove MY piercings. Stupid....
    03-28-08 07:37 PM
    Wow, I guess I am really lucky, my belt is the only thing that ever sets it off, and I have 19 piercings!
    03-28-08 07:52 PM
    Airports suck. I broke my foot 7 weeks ago and the whole taking off your shoes just KILLS me. Also the metal cane that I am currently using does not help the situation any! Go figure I am sitting at the bar in Dullas intl right now

03-28-08 08:06 PM
    Airports suck. I broke my foot 7 weeks ago and the whole taking off your shoes just KILLS me. Also the metal cane that I am currently using does not help the situation any! Go figure I am sitting at the bar in Dullas intl right now

03-28-08 08:08 PM
    She shouldn't have been made to remove them. A simple pat down or visual check by a female TSA would have been sufficient in my opinion.
    i agree with you.

that's horrible.
    03-28-08 09:39 PM
    Security comes first.
    If something had gone past security and then an incident took place then people would be ******** abt tht to.

No way to please everyone.

03-29-08 06:58 AM
    I was reading about this in USA Today and I can't believe that this was allowed to get out of hand as much as it did. We spend to much money on this to allow stuff like this to happen. They walked through metal detector did not detect anything but the individual in question was pulled aside for a random screening where it was detected by the the hand held detector the female TSA agent was using. This agent appeared to be inexperienced and asked one of the senior TSA agents what to do and that is where things went south.

I doubt this is the last we will hear about this. The TSA policy on this is written well, they did not follow the procedure, the lawyer which appears to be a Rottweiler knows it and is not going to let go of this one. I hope they don't. I don't care how much training you give a TSA agent if they are a creep they can get away with just about anything until someone pushes back. They do not have enough supervision at the security check points and the TSA knows it. I flew out of Dallas a month or so ago and I thought the security check was an fairly unprofessional, disorganized operation. So I am not surprised about this happening there.
    Last edited by jc34; 03-29-08 at 07:49 AM.
    03-29-08 07:46 AM
    Little bit of an update on this...

Here is a article in USA Today.

TSA to change procedures for passengers with body piercings - USATODAY.com

Looks like the TSA is scrambling to get this sorted out.
    03-29-08 11:17 AM
    Security comes first.
    If something had gone past security and then an incident took place then people would be ******** abt tht to.

No way to please everyone.

of course security comes first but the snickering wasn't respectful....i agree that precautions are necessary but you shouldnt make someone feel violated either....
    03-29-08 01:54 PM
    I bet she's glad she wasn't pierced someplace more private

03-29-08 07:53 PM
    I have the same piercings, plus some others, and I did set the alarm off once at the airport. I honestly dont know if it was my piercings that set the alarms off, or an article of clothing. I did have female TSA agent pat me down. She could have at least bought me dinner first....LOL..That was my only complaint about being patted down, its only for our SAFTEY...
    03-31-08 03:16 PM
    I need to get a job as a TSA dude.
    03-31-08 05:38 PM
    the moment i read this i had to tell my friend...we are going on a plane to washington in may lol she better be careful...
    04-01-08 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD