After slab smartphones (rectangular, glass, primarily touch driven aka pretty much all smartphones), what's the next step?

How many years do you think that is off?

I'm interested to see what people see happening with mobile technology, in the near future.
    04-11-17 05:34 AM
    Implants (cerebral). They will become a necessity virtually overnight.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 12:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Will that implant have a blackberry logo? Rgb led, pkb! We need a release date and we need it now! Sorry I've been on the Guinness again 😎
    04-11-17 01:51 PM
    Will that implant have a blackberry logo? Rgb led, pkb! We need a release date and we need it now! Sorry I've been on the Guinness again 😎
    I guarantee you there will be those who choose to have their preferred fruit logo tattooed onto themselves to advertise their allegiance/purchase-power...

PKB should be a possibility as a wireless accessory, but probably largely redundant with the advent of a direct neural input/output system. RGB led would be a useful indication to those around as to whether you're 'in the room' or 'out to lunch'.

Release date for the BlackBerry series is October, according to Chen

Posted via CB10
    falbo likes this.
    04-11-17 02:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    That seems pretty far fetched as "the next step". Brain waves as an input method is currently extremely primitive, and our understanding of the brain is still very poor. Such a device would need to run on next to no power, so would itself need to be massively parallel, and we have only just recently developed such chips.

This won't happen for a long time IMO. If at all, given that mobile network access, planted in the brain would be unfeasible due to power requirements, and most likely given one cancer.

The next step will be something much closer. Heck, hard AI will probably come before direct brain interface is viable, and that is at least decades away.
    Matt Reimann likes this.
    04-11-17 10:10 PM
    That seems pretty far fetched as "the next step". Brain waves as an input method is currently extremely primitive, and our understanding of the brain is still very poor. Such a device would need to run on next to no power, so would itself need to be massively parallel, and we have only just recently developed such chips.

This won't happen for a long time IMO. If at all, given that mobile network access, planted in the brain would be unfeasible due to power requirements, and most likely given one cancer.

The next step will be something much closer. Heck, hard AI will probably come before direct brain interface is viable, and that is at least decades away.
    Well thanks ya party Pooper. Lol I was looming forward to having an s4 pro chipset implanted running bb10 . The gesture based ui would be perfect for my brain hahah. But seriously . Look forward to foldable screens and batteries next. Basically tablets that fold shut and can be super tough with the screen only exposed when open
    TGIS likes this.
    04-12-17 08:27 PM
    Most likely flexible screens.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    04-12-17 08:53 PM
    High speed AR glasses connected to the phones.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-17-17 12:10 PM
    High speed AR glasses connected to the phones.
    Yeah MS is working on a true glasses form factor AR display that requires an external hardware driver. Something like that would be ideal, run those full sized applications on the go, while prodding and poking at the air. Strange days ahead.
    06-10-17 08:04 AM
    A round device. That way multiply user can use and access the info at the same time.
    07-07-17 09:43 AM
    Just throwing this out there, if you don't like it throw it back =) nanobot communications like they had in metal gear solid! It would be much more just communication though

Posted via CB10
    07-07-17 10:11 AM
    Slabs are gonna be around for a long, long time.
    08-14-17 03:24 PM
    THis is mine from another post.
    Trump is trying to get FDA approval . Once that's done he has void to implant all newborn babies.

Yep! Mobile devices may soon be a thing of the past.
    "The reality is, it’s coming and it’s coming soon," McMullan told ABC News. "And I think you’re going to see a whole new wave of people who are wanting to get into this.”
    Three Square Market, based in Riverdale, Wisconsin, said it surgically implanted the chips in about 50 volunteers on Tuesday, giving the workers the ability to make purchases, unlock doors, log into computers and perform other office functions with just the wave of a hand.
    They say the chips are less invasive than mobile phones and apps, which it says are rich with all types of GPS tracking data.

Three Square estimates that the technology will become standardized within the next decade or so, eventually allowing people to use their chips for passports, public transit and various purchasing opportunities among many other things.

What started in the 50's as Fantasy/Science Fiction with the likes of Buck Rogers..into the 60's with Lost In Space and Star Trek has become reality.
    Spaceships, talking Robots (proven to be able to self- evolve) , Communicators (that device you're holding in your hand) laser devices. We have the ability to clone a human being.
    Now with the Microchip implants, they can be programmed to do just about anything.
    And if you've been paying attention then you know what's coming next. Once the chip is mastered ( in a few decades) and no doubt causing chaos
    The machines will revolt.
    You think these are exciting times??
    You ain't seen nothing yet.
    08-14-17 08:38 PM
    Within the next five generations Apple will release the "Monolith" iPhone - an iPhone with wireless charging, no ports, no visible speakers, completely encapsulated in vanilla glass. It will be hailed by the Valley elite and other people that don't actually have to use a phone or hire people to do that for them but get panned by everyone else and begin in surety the downfall of the company.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-28-17 11:15 PM
    Within the next five generations Apple will release the "Monolith" iPhone - an iPhone with wireless charging, no ports, no visible speakers, completely encapsulated in vanilla glass. It will be hailed by the Valley elite and other people that don't actually have to use a phone or hire people to do that for them but get panned by everyone else and begin in surety the downfall of the company.
    That's about right, except for the tiny little port that will house the Micro Digital Implant Thingy!!
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-01-17 10:52 PM
    Etch-a-sketches for everybody
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    09-01-17 10:58 PM
    Etch-a-sketches for everybody
    For everyone??? For free??? What's the catch???
    09-13-17 09:22 PM