Drive Safely Corp wants to force safety on all drivers, NOW!!! | BerryReview.com �

"How it works�
    All of Drive Safely Corp.�s products in the SAFe Suite utilize Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) data to determine if the user�s mobile phone is in a moving vehicle. If it is determined that the phone is in motion a screen pops up whenever the user first attempts to access the targeted function of the phone (SMS text, MMS, e-mail, Browser, Multi-Media). For example if the driver tries to read or compose an SMS text message a screen pops up and advises the user that �Texting While Driving is Illegal,� and then asks the user: �Are you a driver?� If the user answers �YES� then texting capabilities are disabled until the phone has stopped moving for a period of time. If the user responds �NO� (not a driver) then the phone enters the Attention Validation Sequence (AVS). The Attention Validation Sequence displays randomly assigned letters, numbers and symbols on the screen. In order to avoid immediate disablement of the phone�s messenger functions the user must input the data exactly as shown in a very short period of time."

Would you allow this on your device? I wouldn't!
    01-19-10 04:32 PM
    nope not in the lease.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 04:44 PM
    I would totally be the one to lie, then run down some old lady whilst trying to scramble and re-enter the sequence.

*shrug*
    01-19-10 04:46 PM
    No I just don't text/call/email/use my phone while driving.

Me and MJ have already discussed a similar matter in another thread. It's ridiculous that these things even exist because people should know not to text while driving.

Also, this will never happen. Think of all the people who would try to enter the AVS sequence while driving causing them to pay even less attention. This is illogical and a very, very stupid idea IMO.
    01-19-10 04:51 PM
    I would never text/email while driving, but nor would I want any mandatory app like this on my device. :/

01-19-10 04:53 PM
    ving.

Also, this will never happen. Think of all the people who would try to enter the AVS sequence while driving causing them to pay even less attention. This is illogical and a very, very stupid idea IMO.
    I agree

people who want to do it, WILL DO IT, if they have to pay less attention to the road to put the key in, that is what is going to happen
    01-19-10 05:26 PM
    I would totally be the one to lie, then run down some old lady whilst trying to scramble and re-enter the sequence.

*shrug*
    If you didn't see her, it's not a hit and run Try again
    01-19-10 08:59 PM
    So if a phone has a locked down GPS, or no GPS, would the software not work?

Or can it work off of cell tower triangulation?
    01-20-10 08:36 AM
    This will only serve to INCREASE the risk because you're going to have people trying to focus even harder on trying to enter the ramdom sequence while driving. DUMB.
    01-20-10 10:18 AM
    What happen to my post? lol wasn't that bad come on now....

01-20-10 04:53 PM
    What happen to my post? lol wasn't that bad come on now....
    It and another post were deleted because this thread has absolutely nothing
    to do with politics. Left, right or otherwise.
    01-20-10 07:07 PM
    I definitely would not allow this on my phone. I do not text/email while driving, however, I have seen some asses on the road texting while oblivious to the rest of the world around them. And the sad part is that these same ppl would try to do the validation sequence while still driving, distracting them even longer.

01-20-10 07:25 PM
    01-21-10 03:00 AM
    I definitely would not allow this on my phone. I do not text/email while driving, however, I have seen some asses on the road texting while oblivious to the rest of the world around them. And the sad part is that these same ppl would try to do the validation sequence while still driving, distracting them even longer.

As i don't do it either but i wouldn't allow in my for one simple reason. Granted it would be nice to prevent teen's and the social active soccer mom from facebooking, but if my wife is setting the pass. seat and needs to write an email for her job, there is no reason why she should not be able to. and installing that program would infact prevent her from doing that when she isn't driving.

I understand that people have died from Texting and driving, and those that have been T&Ding have killed other people, but in the case you need to make reading newspapers, eating on the road, (women) putting on make up, or any type of media also be " against the law"...

Last edited by mjneid; 01-21-10 at 07:39 AM.
    01-21-10 07:35 AM
    The only way I would see this being put into place on cell phones, would be a company would do this for their work force, be reduce liability. I can see this being tied into insurance claims, with the insurance company putting in clauses, that state, that if it is found through the cars computer/GPS or a nanny program installed on a work phone, that the device was in use during an accident, that it has the right to deny any an all claims that resulted from that accident.

Car computers are already being used to help insurance companies reduce or not payout, with information about braking or lack of, speed at the moment of impact, air bag deployment or lack of.
    01-21-10 11:36 AM
    I understand that people have died from Texting and driving, and those that have been T&Ding have killed other people, but in the case you need to make reading newspapers, eating on the road, (women) putting on make up, or any type of media also be " against the law"...
    I hear you there MJ.

What gripes me is "They", say that even using hands free makes you as bad as someone that's had a few. My thinking is if BT or hands free speaker phone use is bad, then the simple act of conversation with someone else in the car, or singing along with the music, would be equally so.

But I suppose it's easier to make a law and add a tax to a device, than it is to fight the fast food companies, map/newspaper/book readers, or getting up earlier or waiting to get into the parking lot to do your daily grooming. After seeing someone blow dry/style their hair in the drivers seat, I have pretty much seen it all.

Oh and to the couple that was having sex on the way over the mountains a few weeks ago... tinted windows ... I'm just saying.
    01-21-10 11:46 AM
    I hear you there MJ.
    What gripes me is "They", say that even using hands free makes you as bad as someone that's had a few. My thinking is if BT or hands free speaker phone use is bad, then the simple act of conversation with someone else in the car, or singing along with the music, would be equally so.

It's funny that you mention that, I was watching the local news station (which i rarely do) and there was a lady from a local group that is pushing for this type of law.

And they said they are against BT headsets due to the fact that "the voice is in you head"... i had to thinks.... wait my wife setting in my pass. seat and my newborn in the back seat... they are "in my head" when they are making noise... i wonder how long till you have to fly solo everywhere in little "single seater" Smart Cars.

01-21-10 12:51 PM
    It's funny that you mention that, I was watching the local news station (which i rarely do) and there was a lady from a local group that is pushing for this type of law.

And they said they are against BT headsets due to the fact that "the voice is in you head"... i had to thinks.... wait my wife setting in my pass. seat and my newborn in the back seat... they are "in my head" when they are making noise... i wonder how long till you have to fly solo everywhere in little "single seater" Smart Cars.
    Having been trapped in a car with a warring couple (other than telling them both to shut it or get out), I know what you mean! Oh there is nothing more distracting than a baby crying in the back seat of the car. Because you don't know why they are screaming (unless you're the parent), and even then, nothing you can actually do until you can pull over.

But what the people without BT, with voices in there head are going to do, I have no idea.
    01-21-10 02:04 PM
    It and another post were deleted because this thread has absolutely nothing
    to do with politics. Left, right or otherwise.
    I'm with you 100% on that one, thanks...

01-22-10 07:10 PM
    I would not use something like this because it would just be an annoyance. I would not want to type this in when I'm sending a message. As for driving and texting I avoid it already. After all it's too hard to type on the storm without keeping my eyes on it the whole time. I remember way back when I had a flip phone that I could type without even looking at the keyboard.
    01-22-10 08:57 PM
    This program is a terrible idea. And will serve only to make the road more dangerous.

I agree with the other poster it's the same thing as any other distraction. Forcing cutomers and carriers to push this program so this company can make a lot money off their product is asinine. Media hysteria over it will probably bring about some great fantastic program or law that will solve all our problems.....that never does actually solve it.

Bottom line, people need to drive responsibly. Emphasize the dangers in drivers training etc. Enforce current laws on the book. That is all you can and should do.

01-22-10 10:32 PM
    I used to text while driving while I had my Pearl 8100 because I didn't have to look at it while typing and could easily type with one hand. Since I've had my 9000, I rarely, and I mean RARELY try to text on it while driving and that's only if the reply is short.

I think a case study should be done to see who is causing the majority of accidents among drivers who text or use a feature that requires text imput (age, geographic location). THEN make it mandatory WITHOUT the unlock sequence included.
    01-24-10 04:37 AM
    This would be flawed. I'm in a moving vehicle right now, but I'm not driving.

01-24-10 05:29 AM
    Sounds like DriveSafely is bucking for government contracts. Cha-ching!
    01-24-10 06:07 AM
    Best post so far

01-24-10 11:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD