Not sure if anyone has seen this, but at least you can't get stuck in a 3 year contract anymore (as someone who just had to pay high fees for canceling a 3 year contract 6 months prior to end date, this is good to know for hte future)! (and there are limits to roaming charges as well).

New rules lets customers cancel phone contracts without penalty after two years - Yahoo! Finance Canada
    06-03-13 11:11 AM
    That's great news!

Here are the things that stand out for me from the new wireless code drafted by the CRTC

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/201...%20Uaya69g_eYw

1. Wireless customers will be able to cancel their cellphone contracts after two years without any penalties — even if they've signed up for longer terms

2. The CRTC is also capping extra data charges at $50 per month

3. The CRTC is also capping international data roaming charges at $100 per month

4. Customers will have the right to have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full

5. Customers will have the right to return their cellphones within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service

6. Customers will have the right to accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year)

7. Customers will have the right to receive a contract that is easy to read and understand

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-03-13 12:03 PM
    This is pretty good news for Canadian subscribers but it doesn't apply to existing contracts.
    The new CRTC rules won't be implemented until December 2, 2013, and will only be applicable to contracts made after that date. Good news, but not really for those already locked in.
    06-03-13 01:11 PM
    Anyone who thinks that the carriers won't find a new way to screw us over and come out on top is seriously dillusional.

Sent from either my Z10, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, or Playbook
    jayemmbee likes this.
    06-03-13 01:16 PM
    Good i'm dropping Virgin this week for Q10 Rogers
    06-03-13 01:18 PM
    Good i'm dropping Virgin this week for Q10 Rogers
    The new CRTC rules won't apply for a contract you make this week. They don't apply until this December.

Posted via CB10 on a sexy Z10
    06-03-13 02:19 PM
    Finally....what a great news....

Been tired of getting ripped off by ruthless/greedy corps
    06-03-13 02:43 PM
    It will be interesting to see exactly how the market plays out. Tough to know how the market will be in 2014 now. A couple of points:

2 year contracts are great. Of course, device subsidies will either be lower, or plans will be priced higher. OR: the carriers have been screwing us so much that neither SHOULD happen. (but of course it will happen.)

Then: the 90 day smartphone unlocking. Even if carriers want to go crazy with new pricing plans, this policy should help keep them calm, as now every customer can very easily become someone else's customer, so this might keep them in check and create stiffer competition in terms of pricing.

So much can be said, so much can be predicted, but I just hope that whatever happens, it happens in the favor of the consumer. That's what the CRTC created the new policy for, and I trust they've done a good job with it. Only until 2014 will we know the effects it's really had on the market. Here's to hoping it's positive for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 02:43 PM
    Carriers don't really charge cancellation fees anymore. Rogers bell Telus all use tab type plan. Just have to pay off the device.

But I guess if you signed a Contract and brought own phone it helps to get out after 2.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 03:15 PM
    Carriers don't really charge cancellation fees anymore. Rogers bell Telus all use tab type plan. Just have to pay off the device.

But I guess if you signed a Contract and brought own phone it helps to get out after 2.

Posted via CB10
    Not all of their plans are tab type. The majority are on 3 year contracts currently.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 04:59 PM
    I'm thinking they'll be dropping 3 year contracts in favor of 2 year cages after December.

Posted via CB10 on a sexy Z10
    06-03-13 06:33 PM
    How does that work? I assume the phones will be priced the same for 2 and 3 year plans then.
    06-03-13 06:42 PM
    Yeah saw that after, anyway i'm going with Rogers anyway, corporative plan. Need the 6 gig and Virgin don't have
    06-03-13 06:44 PM