Not sure which forum to use, so I picked this one. I have a dilemma, and it is this. I have only ever used BlackBerry smartphones, and actually, only the 8330 Curve. I need a new phone as this one has seen it's better days. It still functions well after many years of use and abuse, but it is physically falling apart. Also, my eyesight is not good anymore so I need something with a larger screen. The problem is that I'm on US Cellular, and they do not carry the BB10 line of devices. As a carrier, I like US Cellular, and have been with them for years. But The rest of my family are happy with their phones, and our current service and do not want to switch (I'd have to go over to Verizon to get a Z10 - Z-30, and their nearest retail store is 35 miles away). So, it seems as though I will have to compromise and purchase an iPhone 5C, a Samsung Galaxy S4, or Motorola Moto X. I was hoping to get some unbiased opinions here on which of these 3 phones are the best. Reception is an important factor because I live in a Rural area where reception is not good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Having to go to another brand does not sit well with me, but I put my family above on own wants, so it must be done (for now).
    12-12-13 03:26 PM
    Not sure which forum to use, so I picked this one. I have a dilemma, and it is this. I have only ever used BlackBerry smartphones, and actually, only the 8330 Curve. I need a new phone as this one has seen it's better days. It still functions well after many years of use and abuse, but it is physically falling apart. Also, my eyesight is not good anymore so I need something with a larger screen. The problem is that I'm on US Cellular, and they do not carry the BB10 line of devices. As a carrier, I like US Cellular, and have been with them for years. But The rest of my family are happy with their phones, and our current service and do not want to switch (I'd have to go over to Verizon to get a Z10 - Z-30, and their nearest retail store is 35 miles away). So, it seems as though I will have to compromise and purchase an iPhone 5C, a Samsung Galaxy S4, or Motorola Moto X. I was hoping to get some unbiased opinions here on which of these 3 phones are the best. Reception is an important factor because I live in a Rural area where reception is not good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Having to go to another brand does not sit well with me, but I put my family above on own wants, so it must be done (for now).
    Hmm...for your situation, I would probably recommend the LG G2. I can't say that I've used it but I've read good things...especially on battery life. The screen should be very nice since it has an IPS LCD screen.

If reception is the biggest issue, then the obvious choice is the Z30 with the Paratek antenna. However, you already said that your carrier doesn't have it. If you're not up to getting it SIM-free, then maybe a large Android device would suit your needs.

I've used the S4 a lot since my fiance has one and I actually wouldn't recommend it, since TouchWiz seems a bit clunky to me.

If you want a big screen, I don't think the iPhone is the best choice...

I can't speak for the Moto X as I've never even seen one in person.

I don't know how you feel about WP8, but they also have some large-screen devices with good reviews. I was wanting the Lumia 1020 but decided to get the Z10 instead.

I still think that getting the Z30 SIM-free would be your best bet. :-)
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 03:46 PM
    GS4 is an awesome device.. Motox is great too.. for the price of an Iphone 5c? Motox will def be better..
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 03:47 PM
    A friend of mine also has issues with eyesight, and an iphone 5, and he can barely use it, so he will give it away soon. It's really tiny, based upon today's standards, and with eyesight problems, it will not be the right choice, I think.
    Have you considered a Windows phone? To me it seems to be the most eye-friendly OS.
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 03:56 PM
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, explain SIM-free, and how that would work. Thank you
    12-12-13 04:47 PM
    I can get the Moto X, GS4, and iPhone 5c for 49 bucks each as a current US Cellular customer. Or use my reward points and get either of the 3 for free. That's a plus for US Cellular, as they do give monthly Rewards points.
    12-12-13 04:52 PM
    I can get the Moto X, GS4, and iPhone 5c for 49 bucks each as a current US Cellular customer. Or use my reward points and get either of the 3 for free. That's a plus for US Cellular, as they do give monthly Rewards points.
    Nice! I would consider GS or a Motox.. sim free is like paying a full price for a device but it will be an unlocked one.you can use it on different networks

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 04:57 PM
    A friend of mine also has issues with eyesight, and an iphone 5, and he can barely use it, so he will give it away soon. It's really tiny, based upon today's standards, and with eyesight problems, it will not be the right choice, I think.
    Have you considered a Windows phone? To me it seems to be the most eye-friendly OS.
    My carrier only has an older Samsung Windows phone. I've played with a newer Nokia, and it felt like a really well built device. The navigation seemed a little strange though.
    12-12-13 05:04 PM
    Nice! I would consider GS or a Motox.. sim free is like paying a full price for a device but it will be an unlocked one.you can use it on different networks

Posted via CB10
    Thanks !
    12-12-13 05:06 PM
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, explain SIM-free, and how that would work. Thank you
    Honestly, I'm not in the US, so I'm not sure how it all works there.

Here in South Africa, we can just buy the phone and put whatever SIM card we want into it...that is SIM free.

I was under the impression that you can buy devices like that in the US as well.

I think that of those three devices you listed, I would go for the Moto X...
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 07:15 PM
    Honestly, I'm not in the US, so I'm not sure how it all works there.

Here in South Africa, we can just buy the phone and put whatever SIM card we want into it...that is SIM free.

I was under the impression that you can buy devices like that in the US as well.

I think that of those three devices you listed, I would go for the Moto X...
    Those same options are available in the US, but I've never had a phone that used a SIM. All my familys devices are CDMA, due to the carrier we use. Thanks for your input though !
    12-12-13 07:59 PM
    if apps is not your concerns I will say go for Z30 is the best in signal

Posted via CB10
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 08:02 PM
    i personally work in IT and the gs4 in my opinion is the worst phone ever invented if you have a choice id go moto x or htc one those have been golden for me in my support for android. if you are looking for a beefy battery and best touch type id recommend z30 things a beast with its tech and all, overall the way id go depends on what you want most native apps or sideload/native.
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 08:19 PM
    Why don't you get an unlocked z30 and then just insert the sim! The phone is awesomeness, and with the paratekk antenna, no phone call gets cut, and the speaker quality is the best in all the phones rite now! And the bug screen does no harm!
    PLEASE READ THIS

Posted via CB10
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 08:46 PM
    As the OP has already explained, US Cellular is a CDMA carrier. The OP cannot use GSM phones on US Cellular. I don't think that US Cellular will take a flashed Verizon Wireless phone onto their network either, not that I think that the OP wants to go through that trouble and pay that kind of money to get this accomplished.

As for the OP's question, I have only used a Galaxy S4 from those that are on your list. The screen is easy to read, yet the phone is still comfortable to hold. I have not had problems with my Galaxy S4, so I have no caution statements to issue here. The vast number of features available may be a bit overwhelming to the OP, but I think that all of those phones will have a learning curve since the OP is coming from a BlackBerry Curve.
    easnody likes this.
    12-12-13 08:57 PM
    GS4 is an awesome device.. Motox is great too.. for the price of an Iphone 5c? Motox will def be better..
    It really sucks that US Cellular isn't carrying the BB10 line of devices. But if I was in your shoes I'd go for the GS4.
    easnody likes this.
    12-13-13 09:40 AM
    As the OP has already explained, US Cellular is a CDMA carrier. The OP cannot use GSM phones on US Cellular. I don't think that US Cellular will take a flashed Verizon Wireless phone onto their network either, not that I think that the OP wants to go through that trouble and pay that kind of money to get this accomplished.

As for the OP's question, I have only used a Galaxy S4 from those that are on your list. The screen is easy to read, yet the phone is still comfortable to hold. I have not had problems with my Galaxy S4, so I have no caution statements to issue here. The vast number of features available may be a bit overwhelming to the OP, but I think that all of those phones will have a learning curve since the OP is coming from a BlackBerry Curve.
    Thank you sir ! I have played with (lightly), all the phones I have available as choices. And I'm not a fan of Android, AT ALL ! Not an Apple fan either. Just sick that I cannot get a Z10 - Z30. At this point I'm leaning towards the Moto X. I went to a Verizon store and tested a Z10, and took to it like a fish to water. If BlackBerry is still around after I get off my new to be signed contract, I swear I'll never leave them again. Dark days until then ...............
    12-13-13 04:46 PM
    It really sucks that US Cellular isn't carrying the BB10 line of devices. But if I was in your shoes I'd go for the GS4.
    Sucks big time !
    12-13-13 04:47 PM