Hey all
    Didn't know what section to post this in so here I am.
    Driving home today, I was using blackberry traffic. I always like to look at my speeds. How is my maximum speed 74mph but my average is 78?? Does that make any sense?? There's no logical way this could be.

Why would it say that? It doesn't honestly matter, just curious how this could be!
    08-02-12 07:34 PM
    Probably distance travelled/time it took to determine your average speed...idk, I'm not a maths kinda guy
    08-02-12 07:59 PM
    Hey all
    Didn't know what section to post this in so here I am.
    Driving home today, I was using blackberry traffic. I always like to look at my speeds. How is my maximum speed 74mph but my average is 78?? Does that make any sense?? There's no logical way this could be.

Why would it say that? It doesn't honestly matter, just curious how this could be!
    Could you maybe,.........oh I don't know,...gone through a worm hole or something?
    08-02-12 08:30 PM
    Mathematically speaking it is nearly impossible in real life. However with imaginary numbers, it is possible in atomic level. But I don't think that's the case here.
    08-02-12 09:10 PM
    Lol I know its not possible in reallll life. Just pretty interesting how bb traffic said it.
    I was driving when I opened bb traffic, with cruise control on at 74. (Have an NFC tag preset in my truck for it so no yelling) looked at it about 5 miles later because I was curious. My speed never changed because I was using cruise control (maybe a little because of small hills and wind, but not 4mph).

Just a little weird. No biggie.
    08-02-12 10:21 PM
    Possible the elevations warped your time/distance, or that your truck's speedo is inaccurate, and you did average 78mph.
    08-02-12 11:55 PM
    My guess would be temporary loss of signal. When re-connection occurs it
    will be at the GPS point where the signal was lost. That gets computed against
    your current position with no adjustment for the amount of time the signal was absent
    and viola!! the anomaly appears.

Say you are driving 60mph (a mile a minute). At 30 minutes the signal goes
    out for exactly 3 minutes and comes back on. At minute 33 the GPS will assume
    you are still at the 30 minute position, recalculate instantly to put you at the
    33 minute position.

To the GPS you traveled that distance not in 3 minutes
    but in mere seconds. That is, the first 30 miles you drove one mile per minute.
    The next 3 miles are calculated as having been traveled in say 5 seconds,
    thereby skewing your average upwards of your maximum speed
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-03-12 at 06:06 PM.
    08-03-12 05:51 PM
    your current position with no adjustment for the amount of time the signal was absent

you are still at the 30 minute position, recalculate instantly to put you at the
    33 minute position.

Sigh.

The worm hole and time warp theories are much more fun AG.
    BigBadWulf, middbrew and john_v like this.
    08-03-12 07:10 PM
    Sigh.

The worm hole and time warp theories are much more fun AG.
    Sorry, we bean counters don't have reputations for being laugh riots
    08-03-12 07:39 PM
    With a GPS glitch my 1995 Pontiac Firefly recorded a top speed of 254Km/h which I took great pride in showing off to everyone saying ya I got my car that fast, when in reality on a down hill stretch with the wind at my back my top speed ever hit was 165km/h and that little car was rattling going that fast.
    08-03-12 08:24 PM
    Sorry, we bean counters don't have reputations for being laugh riots
    My hair booty

08-03-12 09:16 PM
    My Garmin GPS said I was doing 2500 mph! Who am I to say I wasn't
    08-03-12 10:44 PM

33 minute position.

Very good answer!! My phone was on my lap, where it has been known to loose GPS signal. Good thinking! A+ for you!
    08-05-12 08:38 PM
    Very good answer!! My phone was on my lap, where it has been known to loose GPS signal. Good thinking! A+ for you!
    Don't listen to AG. He's just making stuff up. It was a worm hole or a time warp obviously.
    08-06-12 09:34 AM
    Don't listen to AG. He's just making stuff up. It was a worm hole or a time warp obviously.
    So that's how it is? You just gone put my secret out there like that huh?
    08-06-12 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD