I have heard it over and over and over again.

"It is cheaper to build a computer than to buy a computer." - High Tech Geeks

So, I am looking for a good computer. I've done some research and found out what ATX motherboards are, couple stuff about what processors certain sockets take, a little bit about graphics cards. My main stuff is I want my computer to be fast, run smoothly, and look purdy. But I'm a vergin at this. I so do not want a gaming computer and I definitely do not want a leviathan.

Help?
    02-09-12 10:08 PM
    If you are capable of building your own computer then it is cheaper. if you dont know what you are doing then it isnt worth it
    02-10-12 12:43 AM
    I disagree. If you are looking for an entry-level computer for web-browsing and iTunes and word processing, you can't beat the prices of the manufacturers. Right now, we are in a good spot, where the hardware really is ahead of the software, so with a little bit of knowledge, you can get a computer that can easily run anything that 80% of users will throw at it.

The lowest base-model Dell is $329. It has a single-core processor, so I'd pass on that, but for $40, you can upgrade to a dual-core processor.

But if you keep looking, you can get an Inspiron 620ST for $450. This comes with an 18.5" monitor (the last Dell monitor I saw was pretty nice), 4Gb of RAM, and a dual-core processor.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

It would be difficult to build a PC at that price, with an operating system (Windows alone will set you back $100) and a monitor without using some bottom of the barrel parts.

I build my own PCs because I'm a gamer. As a gamer, I can save considerable money over Alienware and get only what I want, not what they want to charge me for. When my dad needs a new computer, I'm going to find him a Dell and move on. It's not worth my time to try to match the price.

I picked the same processor, a HDD that's almost as big, the first motherboard I would trust that has a DVI output (for video). Memory, PSU, case are all the ones I'd choose for a family member. First decent item I came across when sorting by price. Last two items are guestimates. Price: $573.

NewEgg prices:
    HDD: 750Gb Western Digital - $110
    CPU: Intel G630 - $80
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-E23 - $70
    RAM: Crucial 4Gb DDR3-1333- $20
    PSU: CoolerMaster Elite 460 - $30
    Case: Rosewill R101-BK - $30
    Monitor: Hanns-G HL193ABB - $90

DVD - $20
    Keyboard / mouse - $20

We can debate Intel / AMD all day, but with OS / HDD / RAM / PSU / Case / Monitor / DVD / Keyboard / Mouse, we are at $425.

Can you maybe upgrade a few parts and get better bang for the buck? Maybe slide in an i3 processor for an extra $20? Sure. But for general consumer use, you can't beat the big manufacturers. You just have to find the right deal.
    02-10-12 07:11 AM
    I don't know; Wally world has an Acer I've been eyeing that has an AMD Quad core, 4gb of Ram and 1tb hard drive for $399. Pretty badas* for pre-built I think.
    02-10-12 09:00 AM
    That's not a bad deal at all. Does it come with a monitor?
    02-10-12 09:10 AM
    No, but for that hardware I may hop on one myself.
    02-10-12 10:53 AM
    Just don't let Jef breathe on that AMD.
    02-11-12 02:17 PM
    I would go for a P4, or a socket 775 motherboard and upgrade from there. One that can at least support DDR2 and a good, fast dual-core processor. Max out the RAM (until it beeps and doesn't turn on, then drop it by 1 or 2GB), add multiple hard disks, dual burners, include GNU/Linux instead of windows for more freedom of software choice. My pal tom has many computers he built himself and has sold 60 so far. Socket 775 P4's can be upgraded to faster P5 (dual core/core 2 duo) chips as long as the FSB matches the maximum supported. Don't forget the graphics card, AGP or PCI/PCIe, or your preferred type. If there is tons of addon slots, you're in luck if something fails on-board.
    02-13-12 01:03 PM
    I have heard it over and over and over again.

"It is cheaper to build a computer than to buy a computer." - High Tech Geeks

So, I am looking for a good computer. I've done some research and found out what ATX motherboards are, couple stuff about what processors certain sockets take, a little bit about graphics cards. My main stuff is I want my computer to be fast, run smoothly, and look purdy. But I'm a vergin at this. I so do not want a gaming computer and I definitely do not want a leviathan.

Help?
    you mean you want to build a computer by yourself? actually it's much cheaper than buy one,however you have to accept a certain amount of risk at the same time while the build one may lower quality than the end product.So you may call in a favor with friends who have a good knowledge about computer. Good luck~ have a nice day
    02-20-12 01:23 AM
    Maybe this topic is almost about to die, but a late answer is better then not answering at all.
    Building your own pc isnt hard, but the question is: what are you willing to do on that pc?
    You want it to run fast and smoothly, but for what? Gaming, video editting, photoshop.
    If its just a generall pc, to browse on the net and listen to music.
    If you want have a pc what looks awsome, then buy everything cheap but a awsome case and your good to go.
    Like all gamers will say: i build it bymyself.
    My opinion is that alienware is just overpriced sh*t and just the case is looking like its super fast.
    Its just like apple, many people think its better, why? Because its apple.
    I could buy a alienware for about �3000 but i didnt, and trust me, i have a pc now for �1200 what is more then enough, i can play my games, make my websites and photoshopping without any kind of lag.
    02-26-12 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD