I have always been true to my BB roots. I have never been a naysayer or dissenter in the BB community. I always tout the greatness of BBs to everyone (especially iphone users). However, I am in need of an intervention. Yesterday, I went to T-Mobile to check out the new BlackBerry 8520. Although, I am not with T-Mobile and wouldn't buy the 8520 Curve, I was curious about the optical trackpad, because I was considering upgrading to the 9700 when it comes to AT&T in a couple of months. While at the store, I got my hands on a Touch Pro 2. I must say, the phone is badass. And I hear that the AT&T version will be slightly better. I spent almost an hour in the store playing with it. If I had the money, I would have changed carriers and bought the phone right then. Consequently, I'm in need of an intervention. I'm being seduced by other phones and it is becoming very tempting. Why don't I go to the other phones? I'm struggling with that right now. HELP.
    08-14-09 11:57 AM
    The real question is how is the phone and OS after the "coolness" wears off.

I've owned a lot of phones and a lot of OSes. They always seem very cool for a while...
    08-14-09 12:21 PM
    Personally I hate the flat keyboard. The slight curve on BB devices feels a lot better if you spend a long time typing like I do.
    08-14-09 12:26 PM
    TF3D is kinda cumbersome imo. I don't really like it. PointUI and SPB shell both seem better.
    08-14-09 01:47 PM
    Everytime I "feel" the urge to buy a new phone I go on sprints website and compare the two phones my curve always comes out on top, except for the tour in some ways. Then I get shocked back into reality. And realize that I have one of the best phones on the market. If not the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 01:55 PM
    The real question is how is the phone and OS after the "coolness" wears off.

I've owned a lot of phones and a lot of OSes. They always seem very cool for a while...
    x2!

Yes, we do go for the latest thing but how soon will that last? Until the next cool thing comes out. Think to yourself.. how long would it take until you got bored with a TP2?? Would you still come back to the BB??
    08-14-09 02:32 PM
    x2!

Yes, we do go for the latest thing but how soon will that last? Until the next cool thing comes out. Think to yourself.. how long would it take until you got bored with a TP2?? Would you still come back to the BB??
    You don't understand. The tP2 made my BlackBerry Bold look like a toy. I have the king of all BBs and this phone seemed to outdo it in every way. I'm shakin.

08-14-09 04:05 PM
    RIM's build quality has been slipping. The TP2 is the last hurrah for WM 6.1 and will be on 6.5. WM is still a joke. I'd rather use a Storm which I dislike compared to QWERTY BBs than have to use a WM phone. TF3D is a marvelous achievement for HTC but it really shows how bad the OS under it is when an OEM has to make their own skin to make your OS finger-friendly. I will say that Windows Mobile allows you to do anything but that comes at the cost of stability and speed. I'd love WMWiFiRouter for my BlackBerry even though I can tether with my laptop.
    08-14-09 04:12 PM
    So, try it out. What's the big deal? If you don't like it, put your SIM back in your Berry and move on. Presumably, you use a BB for reasons other than the way it looks and feels in your hand.
    08-14-09 04:13 PM
    You don't understand. The tP2 made my BlackBerry Bold look like a toy. I have the king of all BBs and this phone seemed to outdo it in every way. I'm shakin.

Ahhh.... but I do my friend. How? Before I got a BB, I was just looking into the TP2. I was researching it like a mad man. I was read everything I found online. My plan was to get to the TP2 when it would came out but I first wanted to stop using my ic502. So, I went looking for a phone in the mean time while the TP2 came out. I came across my Curve and decided why not. I had never experienced a BB and was totally amazed by it. I was hooked badly. It's been 4 months and I've moved past the TP2. Now, don't get me wrong, the Touch Flo is a good step towards a better direction but I come back to BB.
    08-14-09 04:33 PM
    The WM work flow and UI flow is simply not as good.

Yeah you can shell the crap out of every single component in the OS (which is almost mandatory) but it doesn't address some of the slowness and poor work flow optimization.

TF3D looks nice, but on the surface it does not offer much functionality. You look at messages, but you can't delete them without going into pocket outlook anyways. You can't really customize the way it looks and all the envelope graphic on the email preview does is hide text from the email.

The internet tab has a browser link + some "push" data links. The weather tab is very nice looking, but you could basically do the same thing without the tab. The stocks tab is the same thing as having an app that lists stocks, except it's in a tab and is more limited than most stock apps.

The "favorites" tab is a selection of contacts. I guess that's useful? I don't particularly see large benefits to this over using the address book that already exists.
    Last edited by papped; 08-14-09 at 04:40 PM.
    08-14-09 04:35 PM
    I had once before put my BB aside to get an HTC Tilt. I kept the phone for less than a couple of weeks because of some major issues: battery life, email was inconsistent, touchscreen wasn't as reponsive as I would have like, multimedia was subpar, no 3.5 mm headphone jack, and syncing was always an issue. HTC phones always look amazing and that prompted my switch the first time. I soon came back to BB and felt at home. But the TP2 has seemed to correct most, if not all, of my issues with the Tilt. But I am hesistant to pull the trigger because I don't want to get burned AGAIN. A part of my confusion is that logically, someone has to build a smartphone that is better than a BB. It doesn't seem realistic that BB will be the best always. So I invariably look for that device that will oust BB from its top post. The TP2 seemed to be a prime candidate. However, parting ways with my Bold - seems to be a no go.
    08-15-09 03:07 AM
    The keys on the TP2 reminded me of the keys on the G1 and they used to drive me nuts! Although I will say the device looks beautiful and TF3D looks BA, but the problem there is that it does run on 6.1 and who knows when 6.5 will come out and if Tmo will pick it up. I'm not going to front and act like its not a solid either!

08-15-09 04:36 AM
    I have always been true to my BB roots. I have never been a naysayer or dissenter in the BB community. I always tout the greatness of BBs to everyone (especially iphone users). However, I am in need of an intervention. Yesterday, I went to T-Mobile to check out the new BlackBerry 8520. Although, I am not with T-Mobile and wouldn't buy the 8520 Curve, I was curious about the optical trackpad, because I was considering upgrading to the 9700 when it comes to AT&T in a couple of months. While at the store, I got my hands on a Touch Pro 2. I must say, the phone is badass. And I hear that the AT&T version will be slightly better. I spent almost an hour in the store playing with it. If I had the money, I would have changed carriers and bought the phone right then. Consequently, I'm in need of an intervention. I'm being seduced by other phones and it is becoming very tempting. Why don't I go to the other phones? I'm struggling with that right now. HELP.
    I was just in there myself and looked at it but I still went with the BB 8900. I guess I kind of figured that after all the eye candy wore off, I'd still be much happier with my 8900. No regrets but given the amount of money we're all spending, you have to make sure you get what will make you happy.
    08-15-09 04:39 AM
    If you really want it you should get it. I was looking at it too but read that it was basically a TP1 with a better camera and a new look. I've read that it lags and that's a big no no for me. I can't stand lag. I was playing with my friends sprint TP1 and it was terrible. It really was. The phone was so slow. Now, I don't know if my friend had overloaded it with apps or whatever but using it was painful. Maybe he just needed to do a battery pull and it wouldve been faster? If the TP2 has the same processor and memory as the TP1 then I can already imagine the headaches. I'll pass until they release one with better specs. My 8900 is just blazing fast. I can't get over the speed. Everything else just seems slow. Just my .02.

Last edited by dragonsamus; 08-15-09 at 10:53 AM.
    08-15-09 10:49 AM
    Well guys, I am over my flirtation with the TP2. I have gone to the T-Mobile store two more times since my first visit last week. I have tried the TP2 again, and have found what I had feared would be the problem with an HTC phone. The specs are nice and the look of the phone is amazing, but I put it through the paces and found all of the issues that I cannot tolerate in a smartphone. The second time around - experienced the infamous WinMo lag. I have come to despise the rotating beachball. Even though the screen resolution is great, videos don't play any better on it. Actually, the videos on my Bold look better than the videos on the TP2. I am still wondering how that is seeing that the screen resolution on the Bold is half that of the TP2. Also. I hadn't noticed before, but there is no 3.5mm headphone jack. That is a no no. I heard that HTC would make that change with its upcoming devices, but they didn't start with this one. The web browsers are great, but aren't as intuitive as the BB browser. I am one of the few that is a big fan of the BB browser. Also, I didn't factor in that I would no longer have my BB messenger. I don't send a lot of text messages because most of the people I IM have BBs. The App World I would dearly miss and I remember that I didn't particularly enjoy the sliding the keyboard out every time I had to type a message. I suspect the bttery life wouldn't be the greatest. I have come to my senses all. All of you have been right. The glamour and glitz eventually wear off and what you have left isn't much unless you have a BB.

08-16-09 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD