Hey guys,
    I am looking for tips and ideas on proposing to my girlfriend...im not worried about her seeing this so i am comfortable asking on crackberry... this forum has tons of users so i figured this would give me all sorts of ideas... ready, set, go!

ps: i want to propose around new years...maybe new years eve.
    12-17-07 05:17 PM
    Take it from someone who was married 25 years.... don't!
    Yup 25 years... I kept telling her... If I'd killed you the first year... I'd be out now!

Only kidding... you should get married... you have no right to be so happy!

Do I sound hostile?

No really good luck!
    12-17-07 08:03 PM
    A couple of Ideas:

My cousin had special M&Ms ordered that said "I love you________"

Mine was to pretend I was sending her UPS present, getting her to the door, then showing up in the driveway after a 250 mile drive to see her.

Good Luck!
    12-17-07 08:22 PM
    lol, ok member no.1... i see your point...

edmistens, thats a great idea, however she is in town and wouldnt make as much of an impact...thanks though..

anyone have any other ideas?
    12-17-07 09:26 PM
    A couple of Ideas:

My cousin had special M&Ms ordered that said "I love you________"

Mine was to pretend I was sending her UPS present, getting her to the door, then showing up in the driveway after a 250 mile drive to see her.

Good Luck!
    WOW! That is so nice.
    12-17-07 11:12 PM
    I suppose it depends on what kind of person she is. Some girls love all the attention & a big public display & others would rather it was done in an intimate setting. When I proposed to my (now ex!) wife on her birthday I came in from work with a big bouquette of flowers & a bottle of champers. I fixed us a nice meal and brought out the ring towards the end of dinner & did the whole down on one knee thing. She wouldn't have appreciated it much if I'd have done it in a restaurant or something.
    12-18-07 10:22 AM
    well i am planning on new years eve...there is going to be six of us (triple date)...we will have a limo and will be dining at one of Dallas' elite steakhouses (Nick & Sam's)... just dont know how to pop the question...i was thinking we can take turns and tell each other our new years resolutions and then get on one knee when my turn comes... how does that sound?

i know she doesnt want anything extreme, so a nice dinner proposal in front of our closest friends sounds like it might work...
    12-18-07 12:38 PM
    Actually sounds like a good idea, just make sure you go last... nobody will be able to top that. lol
    12-18-07 02:41 PM
    of course...thanks for the encouragement...
    12-18-07 04:28 PM
    Just steal the line from Rocky, "What are you doing for the rest of your life?"
    12-18-07 07:21 PM
    Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
    12-18-07 07:37 PM
    Also have to offer an idea...decorate a Christmas tree with lights and only 1 ornament...the ring tied to a satin ribbon
    12-18-07 07:41 PM
    maggie thats one i actually considered...but i am looking forward to the environment of New years eve and the wonderful restaurant and limo. ill let you know what happens.... hahah "what are you doing for the rest of your life?"...gotta tell her that after the fact ;-)
    12-18-07 09:32 PM
    I don't really have much to offer here - my ex never actually proposed, we just kinda mutually decided to get married (perhaps that should have been my first clue???? )

Watching this with interest.... agree with Chaz that you should go last - anything after a proposal would be anti-climatic.

Let us know how it goes!!!! Best of luck and all the happiness to you and your future bride!
    12-18-07 09:40 PM
    thanks! i am planning to buy some long stems and deliver them to the restaurant for them to bring out along with the ring when its my turn to "tell my new years resolution"...maybe one of my friends can give the waiter a "wink" or some signal... hmmm...this is getting to be pretty exciting!
    12-18-07 10:05 PM
    Well, you've received some very creative ideas. St. Martin's Wine Bistro is One of Dallas' best kept secrets.

Wherever you decide to take her, plan it out (call ahead and work out the details) have a waiter bring a single rose to the table for your fiance'. The single rose should have the ring on the inside of the bud - pre-plan It's been done before. That day will be all about her, so, make it special Good Luck.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-19-07 at 09:46 AM.
    12-19-07 09:44 AM
    Ooooh thats a good one too... i just got a call from a friend that said she might be able to get me a private jet that night to fly over dallas...will keep you guys updated. keep em comin though ;-)
    12-19-07 11:21 AM
    What a wonderful NYE!!!

So we got to Nick & Sam's at 8 o clock and were promptly seated... i made sure to sit on the isle of the round booth of course. We ordered our salads and steaks and the food was delicious! Time for desert... I ordered the "Nick & Sam's Special" for desert. Now, mind you, there is NO SUCH THING...i have been telling my girlfriend about this desert for a week now and got her all excited about trying it. That was in fact the signal to the waiter to bring out the flowers and ring... Next thing you know The chef of Nick & Sam's comes out with 2 dozen long stem roses in hand and puts a plate in front of my girlfriend with the ring box on it. She immediately shrieks and starts to cry. The other 4 in our party started to snap shots like a paparazzi! I stand up and help her out of the round booth. I walk her to the middle of the restaurant floor and get down on a knee. The rest is kind of fuzzy, as I said whatever came to my mind at the time. She said yes, with huge tears running down her cheek and I put the ring on her finger. We hugged for what felt like hours and she couldn't take her eyes off the rock for the rest of the night. woo hoo!
    01-02-08 09:15 AM
    Congrats, sir! I hope for the best for the both of you.
    01-02-08 06:44 PM
    What a wonderful NYE!!!

So we got to Nick & Sam's at 8 o clock and were promptly seated... i made sure to sit on the isle of the round booth of course. We ordered our salads and steaks and the food was delicious! Time for desert... I ordered the "Nick & Sam's Special" for desert. Now, mind you, there is NO SUCH THING...i have been telling my girlfriend about this desert for a week now and got her all excited about trying it. That was in fact the signal to the waiter to bring out the flowers and ring... Next thing you know The chef of Nick & Sam's comes out with 2 dozen long stem roses in hand and puts a plate in front of my girlfriend with the ring box on it. She immediately shrieks and starts to cry. The other 4 in our party started to snap shots like a paparazzi! I stand up and help her out of the round booth. I walk her to the middle of the restaurant floor and get down on a knee. The rest is kind of fuzzy, as I said whatever came to my mind at the time. She said yes, with huge tears running down her cheek and I put the ring on her finger. We hugged for what felt like hours and she couldn't take her eyes off the rock for the rest of the night. woo hoo!
    AWESOME!!!! Congratulations and Best Wishes for all the happiness in the world for you and your bride.
    01-02-08 07:12 PM
    best of luck to you and your future wife
    01-02-08 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD