Hey folks, Its been a while since I have been here and posted. Since this is the greatest online community (Doing a little brown nosing) I figured this is the perfect place to come for assistance with my slight debacle.
    A few months I switched carriers because AT&T was just painful for me, in my area. During the switch i decided to get one of those cool touch phones instead of a BB (First dumb move) I figured, ehh i don�t really need a smart phone, etc. Damn, I was wrong. So here I am, about 3 months later, with an LG Dare that, yeah, its cool cause it's touch and stuff, but i miss the smart phone functionality very dearly. Now, I have an opportunity to rectify the situation but am very confused on what to do. Do I go back to a BB or a WinMo smartphone? Now this may seem like a simple answer based on the community in which i am posing this question to, however, I do have some requirements and things I would like to stay away from. Hopefully the opinons will be objective
    1) a Pearl - I already had one, I liked it, but its time for something new.
    2) a Curve - Design is dated (no offense to anyone, please) Its a great product, but i would like the features of 3G and wifi - and a different interface
    3) I got really impatient with the touch keyboard, i kept fat fingering things on the Dare, drove me nuts.... but i liked the overall usability of the touch phones - basically i think the keyboard on the Dare was weak on error corrections.
    4) I am big on the latest and greatest type of stuff - gadgets make me happy
    5) I have heard horror stories about the Storm - either people Love it or hate it... very confused - I have tried it and it did seem annoying - just not sure if it is something I can get used to.
    6) The Samsung Omnia has gotten an enormous amount of good reviews - looks like it is loaded with features and stuff BUT its got the touch keyboard
    7) HTC Touch pro - Has everything you could want, But Verizon crippled the crap out of it, the thing is said to freeze, hang, and just ... Suck.... Such a sweet UI though!!!

So now what?? What would you all do... Are there any new BB's coming out that I can use on the Verizon network???

At the very least, I need to get a smart phone back... I need to get rid of the Dare...
    So that�s where I stand
    12-10-08 06:35 PM
    Some have loved their storms. I'd not go to a winmo device. I have an ipaq abd love it but would not want a phone of it. I did the upgrade to windows mobile 5 and regreted it. If you can give the storm a few more weeks to iron out and keep looking at feed back here. I know there was a round robin on here of people reviewing diffrent devices do a search and find them. I'd do it for you but I'm on my bb now. Hope I helped a bit. In the end its what you want and have need for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 06:49 PM
    I wouldn't go with WinMo either, but it depends on what you want it for. I currently have the BB 8830 and the Touch Pro. I like the Touch Pro, but there are definetly cons with it. Touch Flo 3D is laggy and slow to respond, but it IS very cool. I quit using it and switched to SPBM, not quite as cool, but not as laggy. It gets pretty hot, even when just talking on phone calls. The typing is horrid due to lag. I will start typing and no joke it takes 2 seconds for it to show in the screen. It has a good camera, form factor (little heavy though), and touch screen response. There are a lot of free programs available as well as themes and stuff. I'll be getting my Storm tomorrow and then I'm returning the Touch Pro to the store and cancelling Sprint. It's up to you, but I am NOT a fan of WinMo at all. I would with out a doubt recomend BB over WinMo. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll tell what I know, or at least what I think I know. LOL
    12-10-08 08:05 PM
    Thanks guys

JJ, Let me know how the Storm works out for you.
    12-11-08 06:54 AM
    Ordered a Storm.. coming next week
    12-15-08 12:23 PM
    Thanks guys

JJ, Let me know how the Storm works out for you.
    Hey Chas,
    Here we go... I've had the Storm since Thursday now and so far so good. I love it, but not without it's issues. It came with the old OS, so no big deal, just upgraded to .75. No noticeable increase in speed or anything. It's kind of slow in transitioning screens, but could be on purpose as it is a smooth transition from screen to screen. (i.e. fades in and out)

Sometimes when I'm using BB messenger the camera will come on and show in a small box on the screen, no matter what application I go to, except for the phone, so to get rid of it I have to open the phone and then close it. Weird for sure.

Typing is good, but not without my typos. A little bit more then with the Touch Pro, but still acceptable. I have noticed that the screen is defective per the posts that I read about in the Storm threads, but still acceptable. The touch screen is not as receptive on the bottom compared to the rest of the screen. I will ask for a replacement once Verizon is caught up with the back orders.

Sound quality is excellent from the earpiece and the speaker. Ringtones are loud and can be heard just fine. They are a little muted when it's in the holster, but that should be expected. Oh yeah I had to buy the holster seperately. Didn't come with anything to put it in. Crazy....

All in all I am happy with it and will keep the Storm. But you have to be willing to live with the little things for now until it all gets worked out with OS updates.
    12-15-08 12:25 PM
    Ordered a Storm.. coming next week
    WELCOME back to the wonderful world of BB baby!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JJFrigle; 12-15-08 at 04:19 PM. Reason: my bad
    12-15-08 12:28 PM
    WELCOME to the wonderful world of BB baby!!!!!!!!!!!
    You mean... Welcome back

Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by chaszone; 12-15-08 at 02:22 PM.
    12-15-08 02:19 PM
    I use a berry for personal and WinMo for work...

I really don't like the WinMo one. I mean, it does have some nice features, don't get me wrong. But as far as convenience, ease of use and such...I'd always go with blackberry.

My WinMo tends to freeze a lot, even with 6.1 on there. And just nothing really special about the phone that causes me to use it other than make test calls.
    12-15-08 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD