Hi, there do you know what us BlackBerry 10 users need next a native Skype app.
    The one currently offered on BlackBerry World is a terrible android port that duplicates contacts and turns your battery into a radiator, anybody interested

Posted via CB10, On The ZedTen
    05-28-14 08:39 AM
    I think that's not going to happen, typical blackberry app ecosystem.
    05-28-14 08:48 AM
    How comes

05-28-14 12:47 PM
    Blackberry is least bothered for its application development and also towards it developers
    05-28-14 01:39 PM
    Fair play, so any developers here?

05-28-14 03:34 PM
    @altaf is so out of tune. An independent company showed that BlackBerry is the most developer friendly company and android the worst.

Personally ever since bbm video came I rarely if ever use skype. And once video call is available cross platform (which is hopefully soon) I will be deleting the skype app.

For me too little too late by the skype team.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4185604) likes this.
    05-28-14 03:51 PM
    I think it's ridiculous that people complain about the Skype app. Though I have no love for android, I'm happy just to have Skype, something BlackBerry has been lacking, and I have good experiences using it every day. The video calls are terrific over wifi and over the mobile network. I keep it open as an Active Frame because I like to, but it's not necessary to leave it open; messages and video calls still come in even if I "x" out of the Active Frame, so long as I'm signed in. I don't have any of these oft mentioned battery draining complaints.
    05-28-14 04:45 PM
    PS - I love BBM video calling, but I use Skype video calling to communicate with my contacts when they are at their laptops.
    05-28-14 04:48 PM
    I think it's ridiculous that people complain about the Skype app. Though I have no love for android, I'm happy just to have Skype, something BlackBerry has been lacking, and I have good experiences using it every day. The video calls are terrific over wifi and over the mobile network. I keep it open as an Active Frame because I like to, but it's not necessary to leave it open; messages and video calls still come in even if I "x" out of the Active Frame, so long as I'm signed in. I don't have any of these oft mentioned battery draining complaints.
    I hope you're being sarcastic. :| On second thought, I hope you're not.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 04:51 PM
    I agree with you, I do not notice any issues with the current Android port of Skype but it would be awesome if Skype made a native version!

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:05 AM
    I agree with you, I do not notice any issues with the current Android port of Skype but it would be awesome if Skype made a native version!

Posted via CB10
    Um? Battery drain? Battery overheat? Application lag? No active frame support? Oh and obviously **** UI.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 01:45 PM
    Um? Battery drain? Battery overheat? Application lag? No active frame support? Oh and obviously **** UI.
    No battery drain, only the expected battery use during a full-bore video call, no application lag whatsoever, problem-free user interface. Active Frame performance isn't any worse than most apps. Conversations do not show up in the Hub, but Skype general notifications and notifications of incoming communications do.
    05-29-14 02:16 PM
    No battery drain, only the expected battery use during a full-bore video call, no application lag whatsoever, problem-free user interface. Active Frame performance isn't any worse than most apps. Conversations do not show up in the Hub, but Skype general notifications and notifications of incoming communications do.
    Skype always has this notification in the HUB saying "Online" - delete it several times it keeps reappearing. Furthermore, if you put it in the background while talking.. My oh my. Just try it. Lastly, I don't know how you're so lucky but me (and my father) experience significant overheating and battery drain. Overheating is terrible for Li-ion batteries, you know that. Also, I know it's not normal battery drain and heat as I've used both BBM voice and BBM video.

Ps: The application lags more than my internet connection with a latency of 1000 ms.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:46 PM
    Skype always has this notification in the HUB saying "Online" - delete it several times it keeps reappearing. Furthermore, if you put it in the background while talking ...
    I get that notification when I first sign into Skype or if I get a message while Skype is an Active Frame or closed (not signed out). Don't delete it. Just open it and click on the box at the bottom in the center - the one with the arrow. The one when Skype opens takes you to the Skype app. The one to let you know you have a message takes you to that conversation. If you are in the open conversation and get another message, you won't get the notification in the Hub.

... me (and my father) experience significant overheating and battery drain. Overheating is terrible for Li-ion batteries, you know that. Also, I know it's not normal battery drain and heat as I've used both BBM voice and BBM video.
    Yes, heat is bad for Li-Ion batteries. I see the battery drain from video calls. I don't have any BBM video call experience because my contacts are cross-platform, but are the battery drain and heat during a BBM video call equivalent to that of a Skype video call?
    05-29-14 07:58 PM
    I get that notification when I first sign into Skype or if I get a message while Skype is an Active Frame or closed (not signed out). Don't delete it. Just open it and click on the box at the bottom in the center - the one with the arrow. The one when Skype opens takes you to the Skype app. The one to let you know you have a message takes you to that conversation. If you are in the open conversation and get another message, you won't get the notification in the Hub.

Yes, heat is bad for Li-Ion batteries. I see the battery drain from video calls. I don't have any BBM video call experience because my contacts are cross-platform, but are the battery drain and heat during a BBM video call equivalent to that of a Skype video call?
    Nope, as far as I remember (haven't done so in ages) BBM video didn't produce significant extra heat to notice. Battery drain, well, it was a short call, so I don't remember. I only did this when I first got my Z10 but I know for a fact that there was no overheating. Skype immediately overheats my Z10 so much :|

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 08:09 PM
    I have no complaints about the Skype app right now either. I mean I totally 100% agree that it would be better as a native app, but I honestly haven't experienced any battery drain, or heating up which was caused by this app. Duplication of contacts don't happen, because it was fixed months ago ny turning off Contact Syncing.

Calls and video calls work great, it's smooth-ish.
    But yeah, a native app would be most welcome. Along with native apps of Soundcloud, Wattpad, Kindle, PicsArt, and whatever Android Ports the creators thought would suffice in BlackBerry World.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    05-30-14 12:33 AM