BB10 has C++ as an option to develop for too.

WP8 is also in the same boat as it isn't released yet. Plus code is never 100% portable, as work will still be required to confirm to the new hardware (assumption on my part).
    The hardware is seldom a major issue these days, its the APIs.

It's true that W8 is not released yet but it is not quite in the same boat as BB 10. Microsoft may have market share issues in the mobile space but they have a huge amount of money and the odds of them not releasing WP8 are extremely low.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 07-03-12 at 09:47 PM.
    07-03-12 12:20 PM
    How can you assume the delay will be three months? Heins was very careful in the earnings call never to say *when* in q1, it could be six months for all we know.
    one quarter after original release date estimation ;-) lol
    07-03-12 01:55 PM
    Respectfully, one shouldn't state " leave BB10 behind". The numerous SDKs (and I believe it's why we've been - and still - waiting so long) handle -say- 90% compatibility from BB6 to BB10. I for one planned to develop for B10 only (and see how it could be BB7 compatible later), as my time-line was end of 2013. But now, I just turned it upside down : main target : BB7/Playbook and then update for BB10, with enhanced features.

So, it's more about faith in RIM future than BB10 delay. Of course this delay can't be pushed further; anyhow, they can't (financially) afford it.
    I applaud you and can't wait to buy some of your apps. That is what a person in business does- you adjust to the market- you will go far!!!!!!
    07-03-12 05:00 PM
    HTML5 may be somewhat of a savior here. The FB mobile app, for example, will work well right on day one. Cross platform mobile is more viable than it has ever been and this evens the playing field a bit.
    Interesting that you mention the FB app. Facebook is releasing a new version for iOS devices. They are dumping HTML5 (used for the previous version) and going with Objective-C and Cocoa Touch to provide a better user experience.
    07-03-12 09:49 PM
    I call cow paddies on this claim. If the developer were indeed working 80-hour weeks on BlackBerry 10 then where is the finished product? Exactly. It does not exist and apparently even the Dev Alpha devices were running pseudo applications. But if your statement is true, the development team should be fired immediately because clearly they are not up to the task. All the excuses in the world will not restore the credibility of Research In (Fiddle Til the End)Motion.
    First off yes they are. Second, they are extremely talented and hard-working employees undertaking a extremely complex long-winded task, I know them personally, show them some respect.

Okay and Third, Im assuming you watched a re-run of the movie Swordfish and became an expert in Computer Science. However, unlike the movie, innovation doesnt happen overnight, OS's take time. Take Apple for example, when did Apple buy NeXT? When did OS 10 ship? When was it actually usable?

Answer is 1997-2001 and Panther 2003.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-11-12 08:43 PM
    Take Apple for example, when did Apple buy NeXT? When did OS 10 ship? When was it actually usable?
    Just to underscore your point, I think the task of building a complete mobile OS on top of the QNX acquisition is actually a *much* more formidable task than turning NeXTSTEP into OS X.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-11-12 at 08:51 PM.
    07-11-12 08:48 PM
    Just to underscore your point, I think the task of building a complete mobile OS on top of the QNX acquisition is actually a *much* more formidable task than turning NeXTSTEP into OS X.
    I don't. OS-X contained all sorts of backward compatibility features for Mac apps and a new GUI that had to be similar to previous Mac OSs rather than NeXt.

However, the major mistakes in the BB OS 10 project were made by senior management, not the developers or their immediate managers. The two big ones were developing the Playbook and announcing BB 10 long before it was ready to ship.
    07-11-12 10:29 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD