Despite BlackBerry 10 Delay, RIM Begs Developers to Keep Working - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

If the developers leave BB10 behind, RIM fails.

If they stick with RIM, RIM stands a chance of surviving, and if living up to expectations of BB10, maybe a comeback.

RIM must at all cost and efforts, not have another delay of BB10. That is of the utmost importance.
    07-02-12 01:59 PM
    Unfortunately, RIM has no more goodwill left with anyone. They have consistently missed release targets and are too far behind Apple, Google and Microsoft at this point. I think the only thing that can help them in the app development area is for someone of credibility to buy them out. This would at least give the developers some level of confidence. As a standalone company, RIM is dead.
    07-02-12 02:11 PM
    This just points up the grim circumstances. What developer is going to want to work on an app for a device that won't be released for another 8-9 months, particularly with all of the talk about RIM just stringing everyone along?
    07-02-12 02:20 PM
    there is still the playbook, more or less the same thing as BB10 and apps can be placed for it until BB10 is released
    07-02-12 03:45 PM
    RIM must at all cost and efforts, not have another delay of BB10. That is of the utmost importance.
    I agree with you. The problem is that RIM now has a huge credibility problem.

Until only a few days ago, RIM were telling Devs that everything BB10 was progressing to plan, and were doing nothing to dampen widespread expectation of an October BB10 release... then came the earnings call and the BB10 delay to next year.

I've seen several posts from Devs (and others) who simply don't believe that further delays won't occur. RIM has a well-known history of missing dates, and there are other posts here reporting that the BB10 development team is a dysfunctional amalgam of QNX and RIM cultures, and that the Cascades framework is also behind schedule.

So who would blame anyone being sceptical over RIM releasing BB10 in Q1'13?
    07-02-12 04:02 PM
    Developers are people like anyone else. There are Blackberry fans who will write apps because they love BB. There are Canadian patriots who will write apps. There are people who like Flash or who like C++ (me) who might like this platform when it's finished.

Personally I won't spend a lot more time on it until the end of the year at least.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-02-12 05:08 PM
    Developers should make apps for the playbook. OS2.1 should bring better support for things like Cascades. There are some great apps in app world, it can be done
    07-02-12 05:11 PM
    Semi on topic but I would encourage Berry owners to continue to buy apps from BB App World for whatever device you're on as a show of good faith and appreciation for their support of the platform. The App Devs are indeed in a tough spot with the delays in BB10 release and I really hope they hang in there with those of us who plan to purchase BB10 devices, and who will buy their BB10 apps down the road. I know I will.
    07-02-12 08:22 PM
    I still fully intend to buy a BB10 device. So I'll be waiting it out either way.

I've read the Devs were excited for BB10, and that had me optimistic RIM was poised for a comeback. In the current state however, I feel the delay could be much more damaging a setback than it should be.
    07-02-12 10:35 PM
    Developers are people like anyone else. There are Blackberry fans who will write apps because they love BB. There are Canadian patriots who will write apps. There are people who like Flash or who like C++ (me) who might like this platform when it's finished.

Personally I won't spend a lot more time on it until the end of the year at least.
    If you like C++ and want to write apps for an unreleased smartphone OS, WP8 might be the better option. Most of the code will also be portable to Windows 8 and MS development skills are marketable everywhere. Or you could just learn Objective-C which is pretty easy for a C++ developer to pick up and write iOS apps.

At this point, I think that like WebOS, BB OS 10 will mostly appeal to hobbyist developers who are also BB fans. I suspect that most moonlighting enterprise developers are likely to prefer the MS or Android platform where they can employ their C# or Java skills.

Established mobile developers who are looking to make money are unlikely to seriously consider BB 10 or WP8 until they are in the market and gaining some traction.
    07-02-12 10:39 PM
    Guys they are delaying it by a quarter 3 months. Its a whole new OS, it can be expected. I know for a fact these guys are working 80hour weeks and sleeping in cots, let's cut them alittle bit of slack.

My 9900 is still working great and did not burst into flames when the delay was announed.
    otacon and maddie1128 like this.
    07-02-12 11:11 PM
    Guys they are delaying it by a quarter 3 months. Its a whole new OS, it can be expected. I know for a fact these guys are working 80hour weeks and sleeping in cots, let's cut them alittle bit of slack.

My 9900 is still working great and did not burst into flames when the delay was announed.
    Neither did my 9860. I wonder why people are so hung up about BB10 delay of 3 months when the devices that we carry now are still functioning and serving our everyday purpose.

Back to the topic at hand, I personally am just starting to develop BB10 apps as a hobby. I do not wish to call myself an expert, but am just starting to learn out the basics in app development. I do not rely on my apps to survive, nor do I need millions of people to download my app (it would be nice, though )

As an amateur app developer, I am not that bothered with the delay. But I do understand that for some people, app development is their source of living and that puts food on the table. But for these developers, I don't think that they are developing apps ONLY for blackberry as this would be limiting themselves to a much smaller consumer group.

RIM needs to instill confidence back in their developers by assuring them (or us, since I'm considered an app developer too now ) that everything is still on track and 1st quarter 2013 will be the final date. And maybe throw in a BB10 phone for us when it is launched...
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-12 01:30 AM
    Despite BlackBerry 10 Delay, RIM Begs Developers to Keep Working - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

If the developers leave BB10 behind, RIM fails.

If they stick with RIM, RIM stands a chance of surviving, and if living up to expectations of BB10, maybe a comeback.

Respectfully, one shouldn't state " leave BB10 behind". The numerous SDKs (and I believe it's why we've been - and still - waiting so long) handle -say- 90% compatibility from BB6 to BB10. I for one planned to develop for B10 only (and see how it could be BB7 compatible later), as my time-line was end of 2013. But now, I just turned it upside down : main target : BB7/Playbook and then update for BB10, with enhanced features.

So, it's more about faith in RIM future than BB10 delay. Of course this delay can't be pushed further; anyhow, they can't (financially) afford it.
    07-03-12 02:55 AM
    there is still the playbook, more or less the same thing as BB10 and apps can be placed for it until BB10 is released
    Yeah. All 8 of them.
    07-03-12 03:13 AM

How can you assume the delay will be three months? Heins was very careful in the earnings call never to say *when* in q1, it could be six months for all we know.
    07-03-12 03:39 AM
    How can you assume the delay will be three months? Heins was very careful in the earnings call never to say *when* in q1, it could be six months for all we know.
    funny ... and could you *possibly* remember that "end of 2012" does not mean October, that has never been nothing but a rumor ? ;-). Anyone that went to latest dev events noticed that APIs would not fully release until ... September at best (the "ish" calendar precaution I've been writing about since BB10 jam in Paris).
    07-03-12 04:04 AM
    Whatever, the end result is the same, nobody can say with any certainly when or if it will be released.
    07-03-12 04:45 AM
    Whatever, the end result is the same, nobody can say with any certainly when or if it will be released.
    You're right. But some are very prompt to consider former announcement was better than on time (october) and latest announcement will for sure be worse than on time (march/april).
    Could be fair to consider that end of 2012 meant December (by the time it was still planned, the exact same "some" predicted it).

Let's bargain ... easy : 1Q late.
    07-03-12 05:27 AM
    Well.. next quarter's results are going to be worse than this one - so I'd go 50:50 that the company is either bought out or spilt into services/hardware by the end of the year. I think if we don't see it at the end of Q1 next year, we will never see it.
    07-03-12 05:33 AM
    Well.. next quarter's results are going to be worse than this one - so I'd go 50:50 that the company is either bought out or spilt into services/hardware by the end of the year. I think if we don't see it at the end of Q1 next year, we will never see it.
    I believe that next 10th of July will clear this out.
    07-03-12 05:49 AM
    I won't be getting any hopes up, because is history is any predictor of the future..., well..., we all know where that goes....
    07-03-12 08:08 AM
    I call cow paddies on this claim. If the developer were indeed working 80-hour weeks on BlackBerry 10 then where is the finished product? Exactly. It does not exist and apparently even the Dev Alpha devices were running pseudo applications. But if your statement is true, the development team should be fired immediately because clearly they are not up to the task. All the excuses in the world will not restore the credibility of Research In (Fiddle Til the End)Motion.
    07-03-12 08:33 AM
    Neither did my 9860. I wonder why people are so hung up about BB10 delay of 3 months when the devices that we carry now are still functioning and serving our everyday purpose.

Back to the topic at hand, I personally am just starting to develop BB10 apps as a hobby. I do not wish to call myself an expert, but am just starting to learn out the basics in app development. I do not rely on my apps to survive, nor do I need millions of people to download my app (it would be nice, though )

RIM needs to instill confidence back in their developers by assuring them (or us, since I'm considered an app developer too now ) that everything is still on track and 1st quarter 2013 will be the final date. And maybe throw in a BB10 phone for us when it is launched...
    The delay speaks to the ability of RIM to deliver on promises. Amateur developers may be unaffected, but anyone who wants to have actual users for their mobile applications have to wait 6-9 months before getting even a single user.

HTML5 may be somewhat of a savior here. The FB mobile app, for example, will work well right on day one. Cross platform mobile is more viable than it has ever been and this evens the playing field a bit.
    07-03-12 09:26 AM
    If you like C++ and want to write apps for an unreleased smartphone OS, WP8 might be the better option. Most of the code will also be portable to Windows 8 and MS development skills are marketable everywhere. Or you could just learn Objective-C which is pretty easy for a C++ developer to pick up and write iOS apps.

At this point, I think that like WebOS, BB OS 10 will mostly appeal to hobbyist developers who are also BB fans. I suspect that most moonlighting enterprise developers are likely to prefer the MS or Android platform where they can employ their C# or Java skills.

Established mobile developers who are looking to make money are unlikely to seriously consider BB 10 or WP8 until they are in the market and gaining some traction.
    BB10 has C++ as an option to develop for too.

WP8 is also in the same boat as it isn't released yet. Plus code is never 100% portable, as work will still be required to confirm to the new hardware (assumption on my part).

C++, as well as webworks (which is really just HTML5) is marketable everywhere regardless. Windows8 has it's own HTML5/JavaScript support as well

If your an enterprise developer, you go where your target audience is regardless of platform of choice. If your customers use iPhones/iPad, BlackBerry or WP, you target that audience for your customers.

On a side note, I am probably the only developer that is happy with the BB10 delay as I get to enjoy my summer instead of mad coding to get development done

EDIT:

However crap like this that Microsoft does makes me think twice. I don't need a bunch of users asking for the same features that are on a WP8 device on WP7.8 in the future. Not looking forward to maintain two code base versions...
    http://www.windowscentral.com/did-mi...r-its-launch-0
    Last edited by menaknow; 07-03-12 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added link and afterthought
    07-03-12 09:46 AM
    I think that if BB10 is to gain any traction, they will have to have strong Dev support. If any wayward Blackberry supporters are to return to Blackberry, or if the even think to pry anyone away from iOS or Android, (which they will have to do one of the two to at a minimum stabilize this tailspin, and at least stop losing US market share) RIM and BB10 will have to have Dev support. Any Devs waiting for BB10 to "gain traction" will, in my opinion be hurting BB10 in gaining traction.

I can understand and sympathize with RIM and Thor for begging the Devs to stick close, because I think in the end, Dev support in onlookers minds may help legitimize RIM claims of BB10's evolution of Blackberry OS
    07-03-12 11:16 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD