Really? The Surface RT and Pro are the ONLY tablets that have 100% compatibility with MS Office. That in itself is a huge competitive advantage. Ask yourself a simple question... when you're on your PC or Mac, what "apps" do you run 90% of the time? Browser...office suite... ? I'm sure you don't run fart apps or web apps.

Give the Surface RT a chance. Take it for a spin and return it if you don't like it. My daughter and wife have an iPad retina and mini, respectively, they play games and do other trivial things. I create and edit documents, use the full web, and hook up to corporate Outlook... sure.. and I play games and watch Netflix. Overall, the Surface Is a more versatile device. Give it a chance.
    I just don't want to get stuck in a dead ecosystem again. The surface itself is a great device and I want one really bad.. But only non RT and with a decent Intel like at least i3. I love the surface and its keyboard accessory I find they're quality products backed by the real windows ecosystem.

But I can't justify buying an RT just for office. Even on my playbook, I can access sky drive and the office web apps and create and edit documents. I have the mini keyboard case as well so I can do it comfortably. It's not as pleasant as real office but it definitely gets the job done. Besides, I want a tablet that can work and play. For the play part it needs a solid ecosystem. RT doesn't have that. I can see its demise from a mile away. Already prices went down for it. Reminds me of the playbook a lot. A win8 pro tablet makes a lot of sense. They're just too expensive for me at the moment. When they come down in price, I would love to enjoy the luxury of their mobility and performance.

Anyway as for the nexus or iPad.. They're both really great tablets. Personally I would get the Nexus because I don't buy Apple products, but it really depends what you value in a tablet, and if you prefer Android or iOS. Can't make that decision for you. I do like big tablets though so I'd go with the Nexus 10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    08-18-13 06:21 PM
    If you familiarize yourself with the RT, you'll know what I'm referring to.

Easy.
    I understand it's just many people look for functionality of work and play in a tablet. As mentioned in my post above, all the RT does is... Office. For a little more I'd rather get full windows 8. A real tablet/laptop combo.

08-18-13 06:24 PM
    I understand it's just many people look for functionality of work and play in a tablet. As mentioned in my post above, all the RT does is... Office. For a little more I'd rather get full windows 8. A real tablet/laptop combo.

I gotcha. I was definitely debating getting PRO which takes the Surface experience to another level - full Win8 tablet and laptop functionality.

Posted via CB10
    agp101 likes this.
    08-18-13 09:26 PM
    I gotcha. I was definitely debating getting PRO which takes the Surface experience to another level - full Win8 tablet and laptop functionality.

Posted via CB10
    The Surface Pro is a great device... no question. But with the Pro, you don't have "always on" (i.e. it does to sleep like a regular laptop) and it can't notify you of mail and alerts when sleeping (like a regular laptop). The battery life is nowhere near as good as the RT.

One key thing to remember.... the Pro and RT share the Windows Store. Everything in that store runs on both the RT and Pro. So, even if the RT fails, the Pro will continue and the "metro apps" will come. This will be the "new way" for apps. So, the old Windows apps will indeed become legacy moving forward as more and more apps incorporate the new "metro" design language.

Also, RT is being updated to Windows 8.1 in October.... which will certainly be supported for at least 5 more years. Heck, Windows XP support just ended.... How many years does the average person have a tablet? 1, 2, 3?

Don't forget, there are well over 100,000 apps available for the RT now. More are coming.
    08-19-13 06:25 AM
29 12