So I stopped at the grocery store one night after work. I unload my cart and I stand there waiting for it to be my turn. Out of nowhere, I feel this crash against the back of my calves and let a out a spontaneous "Gah!"

I turn around and here is this old lady (bless her heart) who for whatever reason was attempting to back into the checkout lane. She turned around and in 10 decibles louder than normal grocery store speaking volume shouts "Oh no did I just run into you?!? I said "Im fine" and smiled. So even louder (and drawing even more attention to the spectacle) she asks "Are you sure you are ok?" I again smiled and said I was fine (even though getting rammed with one of those smarts.....even in reverse). Then she sped off. *dumbfounded*

So my question is......arent those things supposed to beep when in reverse??

I have attached a diagram

10-08-09 01:35 PM
    Was this at a Hy-Vee?
    10-08-09 01:41 PM
    Was this at a Hy-Vee?
    Yes. Yes it was. Walmart I could understand, but NOT the Hy-Vee. I guess its just not safe anywhere anymore

***edited to add.....this type of nonsense would never happen at a Trader Joes if we had one
    10-08-09 01:43 PM
    Mavis, Are you anorexic?
    10-08-09 01:45 PM
    Quick question (by the way, LOVE the artist's depiction):

Was the old lady's hair that curly?

Speaking of hair, you forgot to add volume to yours.
    10-08-09 01:46 PM
    ohhhh, now I get it....

It's the money I could have saved looking at me from under your cart.
    10-08-09 01:48 PM
    Quick question (by the way, LOVE the artist's depiction):

Was the old lady's hair that curly?

Speaking of hair, you forgot to add volume to yours.
    Bwahaha!

a. yes, she had a glorious frock of tight white curls. Like the Ogilve Home Perm-esque curls. AND she was wearing huge black sunglasses. Maybe she was blind, maybe she is a local Des Moines celebrity. One will never know.

b. In my stick figure reinactments, I always make myself thinner, and the hair less voluminous. I am also always nude, nor do I have breasteses.
    10-08-09 01:51 PM
    I see, and just how long have you been having these "reinactments"?
    10-08-09 01:54 PM
    I see, and just how long have you been having these "reinactments"?
    For quite awhile now. I have an entire collection of them. Its pretty much my special gift, my stick figure recreations. Yeah, I kind of got cheated when God was handing out special gifts. But I roll with it anyway
    10-08-09 02:00 PM
    Ahh...so those are sunglasses. I thought the Jack-In-The-Box clown was cruising for some Des Moines action.
    10-08-09 02:04 PM
    I would've thrown an overripe cantaloupe at that old bag's head if she ran into me.
    10-08-09 02:06 PM
    I didnt have anything at hand to throw. All my stuff was already on the belt. I suppose I could have grabbed a Nat'l Inquirer, or a bottle of Ensure from her cart. What puzzles me the most is what in fresh h3ll she was trying to do! Was she backing into the lane? Executing a really bad 3 point turn? The mind boggles
    10-08-09 02:12 PM
    Her Alzheimer's probably kicked in and forgot she had the cart in "Reverse". Then probably didn't realize she was going backward because of her uncontrollable dementia.

Either that, or she was just trying to hit on you and figured backing into you would be a solid icebreaker.
    10-08-09 02:15 PM
    Her Alzheimer's probably kicked in and forgot she had the cart in "Reverse". Then probably didn't realize she was going backward because of her uncontrollable dementia.

Either that, or she was just trying to hit on you and figured backing into you would be a solid icebreaker.

of course I would totally fall for that, if that was ever the case! *swoons*
    Ima going to start hanging out at the store more often
    10-08-09 02:17 PM
    Hahaha! Hey, I've seen it work before.
    10-08-09 02:21 PM
    they should beep when in reverse...btw where are you bewbs in your drawing! thats not the jen i know!
    10-08-09 02:21 PM
    The old lady was probably jealous of your sparkling teef, and lashed out by ramming into you.
    10-08-09 02:25 PM
    She prolly thought she was in the polident aisle and couldn't figure out what the heck you were doing in her road.
    10-08-09 02:27 PM
    The old lady was probably jealous of your sparkling teef, and lashed out by ramming into you.
    Ha! I should just go out in public with a "kick me hard" sign taped to my back. Im pretty sure that would hurt less! I haz a bruise
    10-08-09 02:27 PM
    Hah! What a story.
    10-08-09 02:39 PM
    Woe is me...
    10-08-09 02:40 PM
    I hate old people.
    10-08-09 03:04 PM
    I'm going to stick to this thread... Seems like my posts on other threads keep magically disappearing. Odd, isn't it?
    10-09-09 02:19 PM
    yes.......in my threads, hijacking is not only allowed....its encouraged
    10-09-09 02:22 PM
    Hooray! I mean, really... The forum is called "Off Topic" for a reason, right?

And I was actually trying to keep the previous thread on topic... Boo.
    10-09-09 02:23 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD