My 16 year old daughter asked tonight if she could get a tatoo... I immediately said, "No" but then we talked about it and I am kind of wavering.
    I say never in a million years. I'm completely with your husband.

I've never gotten the idea of tattoos. Would you want to wear the same shirt every day for the rest of your life? Why oh why would anyone want something inked into their body that they can never get rid of?

I had a girlfriend years ago who had a tattoo. She always regretted getting it.

In years past, tattoos were a sign of poor taste and low class. Much has changed and they are more acceptable today but things in life tend to go in cycles and tattoos could become out of fashion quickly again.

Heck, if this is so important, use some of the water-based temporary tattoos. The quality is excellent and they last for a week. I put one (a heart) on my rear end once and took my clothes off and got into bed with my gf and she screamed and laughed so hard I thought I'd have to take her to the hospital. I had her believing for days that it was real. Then it started to peel off.

My kid would never get a tattoo under 18. With that said, the more a parent makes anything taboo, the more a kid is going to want to do it. I'd tell my kid that I don't like the idea and they would need to wait until they are 18 if they wanted to do that. Case closed.
    05-11-08 02:24 AM
    Wirelessforever, I'm not a tattoo person myself but I get it. There are some things a person would want to wear everyday, such as that scripture that means so much to that young lady. I have a friend that has a tattoo of a Maltese Cross that has the Engine number and date that his best friend, a firefighter, died in the line of duty. That's his way of always keeping his friend with him, and I don't begrudge him that.

All i'm saying is, it may not be for you, or me for that matter, but to some these things are quite meaningful, and yes something they want to wear everyday. Consider it wearing your heart on your sleeve, new millennium style.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-11-08 at 03:27 AM.
    05-11-08 03:23 AM
    She sounds like a great kid.
    But even if you are fine with it sounds like your husband wount be.
    And does she know abt Leviticus? Sounds strange tht she wud still want a tattoo.
    Anyway I would say she could wait until she's 18. The tattoo shops aren't going to be all closed anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 09:21 AM
    Oops I now read where he said she cud have it.
    So then why could he tell her its her body and yet still he didn't want you to have one?

05-11-08 09:26 AM
    I don't see what the problem is. She's going to pay for it and is very obedient. She's about to leave home soon anyway. As long as she's paying for it, she has responsibility. Let her get it!!!

05-11-08 09:27 AM
    I say you should let her get it, but its 7 months away and by then she may change her mind. In addition I agree with points already made. At least she isn't having wild *** tat that she will regret when she's 30.

I have ink and my son has always thought they were cool. When I got my last piece of art I allowed him to come with me and watch. After seeing the blood and the care I had to give it afterward he has swore he will never get one.
    05-11-08 04:07 PM
    I have a friend that has a tattoo of a Maltese Cross that has the Engine number and date that his best friend, a firefighter, died in the line of duty. That's his way of always keeping his friend with him
    Wow. Small tear welled up in my left eye reading that. I understand the sentiment. I'd choose to express it differently, but I would never take away from what that means to your friend.

Now with that said, I just don't get tattoos. Never have. But as we agreed above, if an adult wants one and knows what he or she is getting into, that's fine.

Kids are another thing. Peer pressure makes kids do funny things. And I think we'd all agree that the person you are at 17 ain't anything like the person you'll be when you are 27, 37 or 47. As I said in my original post, I had a gf years ago who got a small tattoo in a private place when she was 18. At 21, she deeply regretted having got it. Wasn't anything I objected to. Most people other than her doctor and me would have ever seen it. But she got it at 18 because a friend was getting one too. Peer pressure. She even told me she hated it when the guy was only 1/2 through doing the job.

If an adult wants a tattoo, I say fine. I just can't agree with allowing a kid to get one.
    05-12-08 01:30 AM
    A religious girl who is not aware of, or just completely indifferent to, the bible specifically mentioning that one shall not deface themselves. Tell her to crack open her bible and look up the verse. Plus what happens when she goes to college and stops believing in God, trust me the left wing loons, prof and ****** student alike, will try to shove their God hating secular rhetoric down her throat.

Oh yeah plus tattoos are just horrible looking, be a good mom and don't let her get it, unwanted pregnancies are cheaper and easier to get rid of.
    Last edited by KeithF40; 05-12-08 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Having the spelling proficiency of a fourth grader
    05-12-08 02:01 AM
    I also recommend you let your husband make all remaining decisions related to your, your daughter's, and your mother's lives.

I have no idea what the whole infatuation with tattoos is. Are we really that vain that we need to get modifications done to our body to look "cooler" or stand out. Do we feel that if we have something written on our body, a bible verse or a person's name, that that makes us closer to the Lord or that person. Since when does having something written on you somehow outweigh one's actions.

Anyway I digress, at least having my wife's name tattooed on my forearm makes me feel better about beating her every night.
    05-12-08 02:07 AM
    AHHHH I tend to read only the initial post but someone already referenced the bible verse I was referring to. What is the world coming to. I'm just gonna quote and believe in the bible verses that are convenient. I am SO sick and tired of convenient religion.
    05-12-08 02:12 AM
    As far as the bible reference...

It's old testament scripture. And if I'm not mistaken, it even states that people should not wear jewelry or cut their hair a few verses later.

Please don't just spout off a verse or something blindly, as part of a systematic religious viewpoint.

I am all for her getting that tattoo. Of course, I must state that I'm an 18 year old who just had "god is love" tattooed on my wrist. Haha

I have friends involved in young life, although I never have been. Is it an ohio thing? Because that's where I'm from.

Going back again to that verse, and this can apply to other things... The way I see it, it's about the meaning behind something. If a tattoo is random, or just one of those stupid ones, then I can't see myself liking or agreeing with it. If there's a personal meaning behind it. Such as the memory of a friend or a verse, then how can that possibly be wrong?

So' there's my two cents on this.

And @ keithF40... When you mention going to college and not believing in god anymore for her and all that, certainly you can see the benefit that having that tattoo would have? Having it as a constant reminder, a guide for when one stumbles in life? I got my tattoo mostly for that reason.

05-12-08 02:56 AM
    be a good mom and don't let her get it, unwanted pregnancies are cheaper and easier to get rid of.
    I considered responding to your uneducated, rude remarks then decided to let your own words speak for themselves...

Bravo, troll, bravo!!!
    05-12-08 07:54 AM
    be a good mom and don't let her get it
    Wow. I'll put religion aside since that's been the main theme here.

If you believe letting her get a tattoo makes her a bad mom, then you didn't read the whole original post. This kid sounds awesome to me, and that would be a direct reflection of good parenting. She was asking for opinions, true - but about kids and tattoos, not about her parenting skills.
    05-12-08 08:04 AM
    AHHHH I tend to read only the initial post but someone already referenced the bible verse I was referring to. What is the world coming to. I'm just gonna quote and believe in the bible verses that are convenient. I am SO sick and tired of convenient religion.
    You seem to practice that yourself. If you would read the Bible it also mentioned in the same verse about cutting your body that some people will interpret to mean piercings. It also mentions how men should cut thier hair and sideburns. That ones seems to be followed to the T in the modern church doesnt it? I love how people will only quote the bible to support personal opinions.

When Jesus said "He who is without sin cast the first stone." he meant shut your pie hole and dont judge other people. You should take some of that advice.
    Last edited by squiddaddy; 05-12-08 at 08:11 AM.
    05-12-08 08:05 AM
    I also recommend you let your husband make all remaining decisions related to your, your daughter's, and your mother's lives.

I have no idea what the whole infatuation with tattoos is. Are we really that vain that we need to get modifications done to our body to look "cooler" or stand out. Do we feel that if we have something written on our body, a bible verse or a person's name, that that makes us closer to the Lord or that person. Since when does having something written on you somehow outweigh one's actions.

Anyway I digress, at least having my wife's name tattooed on my forearm makes me feel better about beating her every night.
    WOW...this has got to be one of the most offensive things I've ever seen here on CB...maybe anywhere...
    First and foremost, it's sexist and elitist.
    Since when should the HUSBAND make all decisions in a marriage? Are you stuck in the Dark Ages??? Oh, wait...you are, apparently, since you're taking the Old Testament word for word and living in a cave with no tattoos, no television, no internet, NO BB...oh wait...umm, do I smell hypocrisy?
    Kind of has a brimstone-ish quality?
    Having tattoos do not make a person less than human or promote violent action. In most cases, it's an expression of creativity and artistic influence.
    You are certainly not better than them or anyone else just because you happen to be some wacked out form of Christian...
    05-12-08 08:17 AM
    I have friends involved in young life, although I never have been. Is it an ohio thing?
    No, it is an international organization!

I really, really, really do NOT want to get into a debate over biblical teachings, religion, etc. I came here looking for opinions from the general public, which I received and am very grateful for. Honestly I am. When the opinions turn to slamming me as a mother, my husband and my daughter's intelligence I get upset.
    Last edited by pashan; 05-12-08 at 09:20 AM.
    05-12-08 08:19 AM
    This whole thread has turned into something that pashan never intended. She was not trying to start a religion related thread (which doesn't belong here anyway, plenty of forums for that elsewhere), just looking for tattoo opinions.

I think it's time for a mod to close or delete this whole thread now, as it has become too off-topic even for the off-topic forums.

I wish pashan and her family all the best - she's done a great job raising her daughter to this point, and I"m sure she'll continue to do so.

Let's just leave it at that.
    05-12-08 08:27 AM
    Thanks for your support folks! Chaz, you are correct - this thread was not intended to be a debate about religion or me personally and my skills as a mother.

The ONLY reason religion was brought into it was because the tattoo was religious in nature. If she wanted that lovely mermaid that editionfws suggested in Post #2 we would now be debating the merits of live on the sea I suppose!

I could come running back in here and defend myself and my famiy but I have enough self-confidence that I don't have to do that. I know that I am a good mother, my children, husband and parents know that as well. Those who matter know. That is all that counts in my book!

At this point I am not worried about one person's ranting opionions. It does strike me as interesting that Amazinglygraceless quoted the same verse as Keith yet did so with such tact and respect that it didn't incite a riot.

Just goes to show that it's not the words but the mouth (or fingers, as the case may be) that use those words.

That being said, if the mods choose to close this thread I will certainly understand. Otherwise, I am capable of ignoring the rotten apple here in our bushel of red delicious!

Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by pashan; 05-12-08 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Tiny typo
    05-12-08 09:29 AM
    Since your husband has no problems with a tattoo now, would you be getting one?

05-12-08 01:05 PM
    Since your husband has no problems with a tattoo now, would you be getting one?
    Sadly, no, he is still very much against his wife being tattooed and I can respect that, I think this is something that EVERYONE has to be on board with.

He might change his mind someday down the road... until then it doesn't matter so much!
    05-12-08 01:49 PM
    All - My daughter asked, neigh, begged to add a post to this thread so I am allowing her to put a post here under my screen name. (Gotta get that post count up, ya know!) Please know that what you are about to read are HER words, and her words alone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi everyone! This is Pashan's daughter (the one getting the tattoo) I've been reading this thread as it has developed and thought i should share my thoughts

I know not everyone agrees with the thought of a tattoo and I respect your opinion. When my mom informed me about the Leviticus verse it made me laugh because i had forgotten about that verse. To that i have to say, a friend of mine went with her youth group leader to get a tattoo of a fish AND my YoungLife leader has one as well which just happens to be a cross in the same spot i want mine (didn't know that when i made my decision).

Keith - i don't appreciate your remarks about my mother. She has been a wonderful mother and when i first asked for a tattoo i never thought we'd get this far in the process (kind of out of her norm to let me do such things) I'm currently striving to live my life for Christ and i've made so many more positive decisions in my life since i started Younglife. I doubt i'll be running from Christ anytime soon and the one thing i've learned the most is that Christ will be there for you no matter how far you run from him. I'm currently reading a wonderful book titled Just like Jesus by Max Lucado. Under a part titled "The Race" it says - "The word race is from the Greek agon, from which we get the word agony. The Christian's race is not a job but rather a demanding and grueling, sometimes agonizing race." With that sad - who cares if college people make fun of me, i plan to be a YL leader in college and i'll have them backing me up along with Christ. If anything maybe i can convince them to start their own life with Christ. I respect your opinion on tattoos but please don't be disrespectful towards my mother and her parenting. She's done wonderful so far and i doubt she'll continue doing anything but.

Thank you to those who gave their opinion in a respectful manner and i can't wait to get my tattoo

-lil Pashan

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the lord looks at the heart" - 1 Samuel 16:7
    (Old Testament)
    Last edited by pashan; 05-12-08 at 05:23 PM.
    05-12-08 05:17 PM
    Kiddo, let me say you seem well grounded, and your mom should be as proud of you as you obviously are of her.

As long as in your heart you feel what you are doing is not an offense to your faith, go for it. I was the first to bring up the OT scripture, but not to cast aspersions on what you were considering, but simply to understand whether it "squared" with your faith.

As it seems you have figured out, ignore judgmental people and seek counsel of the wise (hint, your mom and dad).
    05-12-08 08:12 PM
    My daughter asked me if she could get a tattoo, and she is 17 which is not legal in our state, I have 20 tattoos... I made her wait awhile while I checked into it, thinking if she really didn't want one it would drop, and it didn't! LOL Long story short, we ended up having a tattoo party at our house, for my friends, my daughter went first, still loves it to this day. I admire her individuality! Good luck to you both!!!
    05-12-08 08:16 PM
    To lil pashan - Wow...

what a great first post here. I absolutely respect what you want, who you are, and where you're heading in life. I don't even know ya, and I'm proud of ya.

To pashan -

What a great job you've done..
    05-12-08 08:25 PM
    I'm tatted and don't regret it. Mine are hidden cause I am in a corporate environment. Let her get it.

05-12-08 08:32 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD