Sad news really. Pointless death over a phone. Read on:

Man 'murdered for his BlackBerry'

An Indian man was murdered in south London for his BlackBerry mobile phone, the Old Bailey has heard.

Saravanakumar Sellappan, 24, suffered a brain injury when he was struck on the head near his home in Thornton Heath last October, the court was told.

His brain injury led him to fall into a coma from which he did not recover.

Armenian Roshan Samedov, 18, and Iranians Jegir Ahmmadi, 20, and Awat Muradi, 18, all from Thornton Heath, deny murder and robbery.

Mr Sellappan was walking home from his job at a petrol station when he was attacked.

'Long call'

The court heard he had made a 20-minute call to a friend, during which time the three accused men allegedly began following him.

Aftab Jafferjee QC, prosecuting, said they struck in Langdale Road when Mr Sellappan was just a short distance from his doorstep.

He said: "It was while he was on his BlackBerry that he was spotted.

"It was a long call and that is what has been his misfortune - it attracted those who were tracking him."

Mr Jafferjee said the defendants blamed each other when arrested.

He told the court they were seen on CCTV following the victim and added that inquiries about selling the device had been made at a local shop.

'Nothing was done'

Mr Jafferjee also called into question the standard of care the dying man received at Mayday Hospital in Croydon, south London, where he was given a "plainly cursory" examination.

He said: "The sheer pain Mr Sellappan had been suffering when entering was the pain of a fractured skull and the underlying brain injury.

"He was given a leaflet about head injuries. Because the hospital had run out of leaflets for adults, he was given a child's leaflet."

He continued: "The doctor simply told him just to go home and look after himself. He started to cry because he was obviously in pain and nothing was being done."

He said the next morning a friend found him unconscious in bed and took him to another hospital, where he died despite an operation.

The case continues.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC News - Indian man murdered in south London 'for BlackBerry'

Published: 2010/04/07 14:43:57 GMT

� BBC MMX
    04-08-10 12:40 AM
    Over a phone? I mean seriously criminals are stupid but wow. Id laugh (in irony, not humor) if it was a $100 Curve or Pearl.

And sounds like a pretty good malpractice case there on the hospital/doctor's part.
    04-08-10 01:21 AM
    This article is a colection of sad events.
    May he rest in BerryHeaven.

And to think it all happened in London. C'mon, aren't you guys supposed to be "1st world"? Or was it because the guy was from India?

Anyway, casting blame, arresting culprits (which are sub-product of poverty and lack of education in most cases) and banning the doctor won't fix the whole picture.
    04-08-10 08:39 AM
    So Sad,

Oh this is just unbelievable
    04-14-10 02:40 AM
    Wow. What is this world coming to! This is just insane! Not only the attack but the lack of treatment from the hospital. Unbelievable!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 02:51 AM
    Socialized medical care FTL, now we have it coming!

04-14-10 03:28 AM
    Too bad that poor chap wasn't allowed to have a gun...

04-14-10 04:04 AM

sorry bad joke

There's an app for that.....

Tis a shame really.
    and even if he did have a gun according to [ohio] laws you are not allowed to pull it over material objects.

04-14-10 03:24 PM

A gun wouldn't of helped.

They wanted to do his damage and would have been carrying their own gun in a armed society.
    04-14-10 03:30 PM
    Socialized medical care FTL, now we have it coming!

The care is very good but obviously with all medical institutions things go wrong.

Or will you tell me no American hospital/doctor has ever been sued?
    04-14-10 03:33 PM
    The care is very good but obviously with all medical institutions things go wrong.

Or will you tell me no American hospital/doctor has ever been sued?
    depends on the state, some of them have laws to protect the doctors from mal-practice suits.

04-14-10 04:13 PM
    depends on the state, some of them have laws to protect the doctors from mal-practice suits.

The point is here the health care is very good although I'm not suggesting America adopts the same policy for a second, it's incredibly expensive.

Mistakes get made everywhere though.
    04-14-10 04:18 PM
    Very good???

I'm leaving this discussion before i say something and get in trouble.

04-14-10 04:20 PM
    This kind of malpractice has been happening in america for a while so don't go blaming it on socialized health care. Once, a woman had a heart attack in an ER waiting room and no one helped. No one as in not the doctors who kept walking by, not the nurses who kept walking by, nor the nurses at the ER counter, and not the other people waiting for help or loved ones. They all just allowed her to die.

Point is, and remains, the people who work there are at fault, not the health care system.

04-14-10 04:35 PM
    sorry bad joke

There's an app for that.....

Tis a shame really.
    and even if he did have a gun according to [ohio] laws you are not allowed to pull it over material objects.

You're not pulling it over material objects, you're pulling it to prevent grievous bodily harm.

That's what many folks don't realize. It's 3 vs 1, large disparity of force and any normal person is going to fear for his/her life in that situation, making it legal nearly everywhere to defend yourself using lethal force.

Still, even if the criminals are also armed, there's a very good chance that most will break contact once they realize their victim isn't just a soft target but rather someone with the means to fight back. Criminals like to prey on the weak/defenseless and don't like a fair fight.

04-14-10 04:37 PM
    You're not pulling it over material objects, you're pulling it to prevent grievous bodily harm.

That's what many folks don't realize. It's 3 vs 1, large disparity of force and any normal person is going to fear for his/her life in that situation, making it legal nearly everywhere to defend yourself using lethal force.

Still, even if the criminals are also armed, there's a very good chance that most will break contact once they realize their victim isn't just a soft target but rather someone with the means to fight back. Criminals like to prey on the weak/defenseless and don't like a fair fight.

I'm no gun hater, I want to make that clear. I did 8 years in the military.

But if there is one thing I've seen living in different countries is where weapons are carried the level of violence greatly increases since you have to make sure the victim cannot fight back.

These malfunctioning people exist in all societies and just increase the level of violence to achieve their aims. If they are willing to use violence as has been shown firing a gun is an awful lot easier than beating someone to death and it takes a far more callous person to do that than to simply pull the trigger.

Guns don't fix these problems, they make them worse.
    04-14-10 04:42 PM
    I'm no gun hater, I want to make that clear. I did 8 years in the military.

But if there is one thing I've seen living in different countries is where weapons are carried the level of violence greatly increases since you have to make sure the victim cannot fight back.

These malfunctioning people exist in all societies and just increase the level of violence to achieve their aims. If they are willing to use violence as has been shown firing a gun is an awful lot easier than beating someone to death and it takes a far more callous person to do that than to simply pull the trigger.

Guns don't fix these problems, they make them worse.
    You sir are 100% incorrect. Here in my state where i live. Crime has gone down, way down since they passed laws that allow people to carry [with permits] concealed weapons.

I carry mine everywhere i go, and will continue to do so.

04-14-10 04:47 PM
    Its a proven fact that in the US guns prevent millions of crimes annually. Most times, people simply have to present one and not even fire a shot. Of course they have to be ready and willing to do so. Crime has gone down or at least not gone up everywhere citizens have access to a lawful means of carrying a weapon.

I don't care what I have to use as a weapon. Knife, gun, car antenna, bare hands, garrote (sp?) cord, or whatever else I have available. Not fighting back is not an option. I look at it as this. I'm already dead if things get to the point where I need to fight. I need to fight to try to regain my life and the way to do that is eliminate the threat to me. I'd rather have a weapon comparable or better than what the criminal has.
    The mentality that has developed of "just give them what they want and they'll go away" is unacceptable. What you must understand is more and more frequently they kill their victim or try once they have what they want anyway, at least around here. All the more reason to fight back initially in the absolutely most brutally violent way you can as you might be able to repel the attack.

I don't care if I'm supposedly more at risk by fighting back. That's my choice at that point. That's me picking my destiny, not leaving my fate in the hands of thugs who cannot be trusted to do the right thing or they'd have left you alone in the first place.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 04-14-10 at 04:54 PM.
    04-14-10 04:51 PM
    You sir are 100% incorrect. Here in my state where i live. Crime has gone down, way down since they passed laws that allow people to carry [with permits] concealed weapons.

I carry mine everywhere i go, and will continue to do so.

Brave statement.

Which state would that be?
    04-14-10 04:52 PM
    Brave statement.

Which state would that be?
    Michigan should be one of the ones. Florida, Texas, and a bunch of others. Crime is highest in Washington, DC, Chicago, Illinois, etc. Places people aren't even allowed to own handguns. Some of the highest murder rates in the country. Places where guns in the home are even virtually banned much less allowing people to carry them...

04-14-10 04:56 PM
    Its a proven fact that in the US guns prevent millions of crimes annually. Most times, people simply have to present one and not even fire a shot. Of course they have to be ready and willing to do so.

I don't care what I have to use as a weapon. Knife, gun, car antenna, bare hands, garrote (sp?) cord, or whatever else I have available. Not fighting back is not an option. I look at it as this. I'm already dead if things get to the point where I need to fight. I need to fight to try to regain my life and the way to do that is eliminate the threat to me. I'd rather have a weapon comparable or better than what the criminal has.
    The mentality that has developed of "just give them what they want and they'll go away" is unacceptable. What you must understand is more and more frequently they kill their victim or try once they have what they want anyway, at least around here. All the more reason to fight back initially in the absolutely most brutally violent way you can as you might be able to repel the attack.

I don't care if I'm supposedly more at risk by fighting back. That's my choice at that point. That's me picking my destiny, not leaving my fate in the hands of thugs who cannot be trusted to do the right thing or they'd have left you alone in the first place.

Good post and I would probably do the same too, because I'm of the same mentality, I would rather not give up control of the situation unless I have too.

Luckily we don't have many murders here in the UK but I do totally agree with a persons right to fight back.

Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
    04-14-10 04:57 PM
    Michigan should be one of the ones. Florida, Texas, and a bunch of others. Crime is highest in Washington, DC, Chicago, Illinois, etc. Places people aren't even allowed to own handguns. Some of the highest murder rates in the country. Places where guns in the home are even virtually banned much less allowing people to carry them...

I think the problem with states that have more strict gun laws are is because guns are so prevalent in the US, it creates a problem since criminals don't really care which boundary they step in.

If I lived in the US I would surely carry a gun too given not carrying a gun in a country full of them sets you up to be a victim.
    04-14-10 04:58 PM
    So moral of the story is to keep your conversations under ten minutes.

04-14-10 05:13 PM
    Situational awareness is important also. Make sure to keep your head up, look around, and look people in the eyes, which shows confidence. Chances are better that you'll be left alone if you appear confident, alert, and aware of your surroundings. Even if you have a gun, it won't help if you don't see what's going on around you in time to react to a threat.

Guns here aren't the problem. Criminals who aren't afraid of the justice system are. Give law abiding citizens guns to give the criminals something to fear again...

04-14-10 06:42 PM
    Good post and I would probably do the same too, because I'm of the same mentality, I would rather not give up control of the situation unless I have too.

Luckily we don't have many murders here in the UK but I do totally agree with a persons right to fight back.

Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
    What's really surprising to me about those statistics is that the USA came in at #24. All you ever hear about is how violent it is there, how much crime, so many easy to obtain guns, etc.
    I expected to see the USA in the top 5.
    04-15-10 02:10 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD