I'm wanting to get out of this small kentucky town and move west. What all does one need to start anew alone in a city and state you've never been too? Please, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Double ttyped and posted without the help of autocorrect. Q10 10.2.1.2976
    john_v likes this.
    08-30-14 08:49 AM
    Well, first and foremost a job and a place to live lol

Once that's nailed down everything else is easy
    08-30-14 08:53 AM
    I'm wanting to get out of this small kentucky town and move west. What all does one need to start anew alone in a city and state you've never been too? Please, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Depends on which city you move to. The cost of livings varies. Having an income to sustain a living by yourself is essential. Hope you have savings enough for at least 3 to 6 months to start anew while looking for a job. Accommodation will be your largest expenses. To cut that down, you might have to share a place with some strangers. Depending on how the arrangement is, there might be other expenses such as hydro and gas/ electric bills if not phone line and Internet services. Living with roommates is a good learning experience. You are going to learn the negative and positive social networking regardless. Your goal eventually is to land a descent job that allow you to slowly upgrade your living lifestyle. The ability to afford a place of your own. Be it rental or your own. Having a social circles of your own to enjoy life. Whether it's sports , dining, traveling or entertainment. One day you shall realize the importance of gaining physical and financial independence from your parents. That's the first step of learning to be your own self. It will makes you tougher and strengthen your survival skill in this world. I highly recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:00 AM
    Depends on which city you move to. The cost of livings varies. Having an income to sustain a living by yourself is essential. Hope you have savings enough for at least 3 to 6 months to start anew while looking for a job. Accommodation will be your largest expenses. To cut that down, you might have to share a place with some strangers. Depending on how the arrangement is, there might be other expenses such as hydro and gas/ electric bills if not phone line and Internet services. Living with roommates is a good learning experience. You are going to learn the negative and positive social networking regardless. Your goal eventually is to land a descent job that allow you to slowly upgrade your living lifestyle. The ability to afford a place of your own. Be it rental or your own. Having a social circles of your own to enjoy life. Whether it's sports , dining, traveling or entertainment. One day you shall realize the importance of gaining physical and financial independence from your parents. That's the first step of learning to be your own self. It will makes you tougher and strengthen your survival skill in this world. I highly recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent advice!

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    08-31-14 03:10 PM
    Witch ways west then eh?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:36 AM
    Leaning towards Oregon and Washington the most

09-01-14 03:29 PM
    It's funny how our human nature is. Having grown up and lived in the suburbs of Chicago for 36 years, and having visited several small Kentucky towns, I'd be happy to trade places with you

But again, just our human nature, grass always being greener and such.

Sent from my Note 3
    09-03-14 08:25 PM
    It's funny how our human nature is. Having grown up and lived in the suburbs of Chicago for 36 years, and having visited several small Kentucky towns, I'd be happy to trade places with you

But again, just our human nature, grass always being greener and such.

Sent from my Note 3
    Small world, John. I spent 12 years in Arlington Heights, but that was 25 years ago.

09-03-14 08:30 PM
    Wow, right down the road in Wauconda!

Sent from my Note 3
    09-03-14 08:41 PM
    Wow, right down the road in Wauconda!

Sent from my Note 3
    Know right where that is. Been there from time to time. Long time ago, though.

09-03-14 08:46 PM
    BigBadWulf (Ed) is working in Arlington Heights now... One of these days we'll meet up for lunch.

Sent from my Note 3
    09-03-14 08:48 PM
    About 12 years ago I did just that.
    Definitely do your homework about cost of living and have a few months worth of money to go on. Try sending letters and making phone calls about a job before you go. You probably won't get hired over the phone, but you might at least land an interview. If you can, get a job where you are with a national chain company that can transfer you to another location.
    Cheap housing is your friend, but make sure it's a safe area. I'll never forget the cops chasing someone through the back yard of my apartment house my first night in town! Temporary housing like hotels is really expensive too, so also try to line up whatever you can before you go.

Crack-a-lackin' since '08
    09-03-14 09:01 PM
    Yeah, I would add internet is your friend when it comes to searching for accommodation and learning about the environment of the location. If you do not know anyone there, spend some time googling the area. There are plenty of information available.
    09-03-14 09:39 PM