With all the censorship happening by the United States government it’s time for blackberry to come back out with their own secure 0s10 phone .
    01-09-21 10:52 AM
    With all the censorship happening by the United States government it’s time for blackberry to come back out with their own secure 0s10 phone .
    It's dead and buried, and would take 100s of millions (likely a billion+) of dollars and at least two years to re-develop it for modern hardware.

Besides, there is nothing BB10 can be made to do that modern platforms can't.

The BlackBerry handset division was closed in 2016, and there is no one left to even think about this kind of stuff, let alone do anything. Not to mention there is no money in hardware and BlackBerry has moved on to enterprise and government IoT software - where margins still exist to be had.
    Last edited by conite; 01-09-21 at 11:18 AM.
    bbfanfan and bakron1 like this.
    01-09-21 10:56 AM
    censorship happening by the United States government. LOL.....What a dead company going to do about censorship......
    John Albert likes this.
    01-09-21 11:05 AM
    lol, yeah lets officially put BB out to pasture and lose billions again. Solid plan
    bbfanfan and bakron1 like this.
    01-09-21 11:30 AM
    You saw Google and Apple's strength to control their monopoly back then and you're seeing it now as they flex their muscles. These companies have been given too much power by people who won't care about things like security, censorship and freedom until it's too late. BlackBerry can't fix stupidity.
    parryberry and mskittymarie like this.
    01-09-21 12:14 PM
    Censorship and secure phones are totally different things - they have nothing to do with each other.

Besides, I have no problems saying what I want to say.
    01-09-21 12:18 PM
    You saw Google and Apple's strength to control their monopoly back then and you're seeing it now as they flex their muscles. These companies have been given too much power by people who won't care about things like security, censorship and freedom until it's too late. BlackBerry can't fix stupidity.
    It's not as deep state as you imply. These were two businesses that were very successful because they ultimately gave people the services and features they wanted. They also came up with a system whereby people could actually afford to pay for them (which was necessary for the companies to achieve an acceptable ROI).

Many of us hold Google and Apple stock in our portfolios, and demand that they make as much money as possible, so we in turn can earn returns on OUR investments.

It's also fair, from an open-market perspective, for people to bargain with them for more control of their information. We just have to be careful we don't cut off the hand that feeds us. I'm sure there is a balance we can all be happy with - or at least one we can all hate equally as much.

In general, I'm quite accepting of duopolies that fight neck and neck with each other. Monopolies (of which government is an example) is where I start getting grumpy.
    Last edited by conite; 01-09-21 at 12:45 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-09-21 12:25 PM
    It's not as deep state as you imply. These were two businesses that were very successful because they ultimately gave people the services and features they wanted. They also came up with a system whereby people could actually afford to pay for them (which was necessary for the companies to achieve an acceptable ROI).

Many of us hold Google and Apple stock in our portfolios, and demand that they make as much money as possible, so we in turn can earn returns on OUR investments.

It's also fair, from an open-market perspective, for people to bargain with them for more control of their information. We just have to be careful we don't cut off the hand that feeds us. I'm sure there is a balance we can all be happy with - or at least one we can all hate equally as much.

In general, I'm quite accepting of duopolies that fight neck and neck with each other. Monopolies (of which government is an example) is where I start getting grumpy.
    Duopoly = oligopoly
    ROI ≠ public good
    01-09-21 04:03 PM
    Duopoly = oligopoly
    ROI ≠ public good
    Logical fallacy on both counts.

There are some industries where the natural state is a duopoly. It's simply too expensive for all but the largest companies to keep pace with innovation. We have Google/Apple in mobile OS, and we have Microsoft/Apple in computer OS. (We also have Airbus/Boeing, Coke/Pepsi, MC/Visa.) This has worked out very well for consumers. It's also contingent on free competition between the two companies - which in these examples, is unequivocal.

Take a look at your retirement portfolio and tell me ROI is not a good thing. Not to mention, who will invest their savings in ANYTHING (like new ventures or existing businesses) without an acceptable ROI?
    Last edited by conite; 01-09-21 at 04:26 PM.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-09-21 04:08 PM

There are some industries where the natural state is a duopoly. It's simply too expensive for all but the largest companies to keep pace with innovation. We have Google/Apple in mobile OS, and we have Microsoft/Apple in computer OS. (We also have Airbus/Boeing, Coke/Pepsi, MC/Visa.) This has worked out very well for consumers. It's also contingent on free competition between the two companies - which in these examples, is unequivocal.

Take a look at your retirement portfolio and tell me ROI is not a good thing. Not to mention, who will invest their savings in ANYTHING (like new ventures or existing businesses) without an acceptable ROI?
    Some people look at the stars and they paint a picture. Some think of God (in any sense) and some think about investments on Mars.
    I like the creativity of the first, I understand the spiritual search of the second, I just don't get the materialistic vanity of the third.
    01-09-21 04:32 PM
    Some people look at the stars and they paint a picture. Some think of God (in any sense) and some think about investments on Mars.
    I like the creativity of the first, I understand the spiritual search of the second, I just don't get the materialistic vanity of the third.
    Not sure you can buy an MRI with painted pictures, or pay for your kid's university with fishes and loaves, but whatever floats your boat.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    01-09-21 05:44 PM
    Wish someone would explain to me what specific problem BB10 solves in this context?
    John Albert likes this.
    01-09-21 11:54 PM
    Wish someone would explain to me what specific problem BB10 solves in this context?
    The idea being that Google and Apple are blocking apps on their store that supresses free speech. However, the current major players like Facebook and Twitter have very clear terms of service that some political figures have violated repeatedly. What people dont understand is that free speech is only guaranteed against the government, not private platforms. If another platform comes along and violates the TOS of the app store, wont correct the issue, the app is removed.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-10-21 03:01 AM
    BB is, uh, secure! And because... reasons! Fart apps! Lithuanian! Dark Mode! Err... yeah. Something like that.
    01-10-21 03:06 AM

"Duopoly" is a very dominant feature throughout the universe. +/- electrical forces, N/S magnetic forces (fluxing at perpendicular angles to electrical, interestingly lol). Even "monopolar" gravity is pretty universally opposed by centripetal/centrifugal forces. Also fluxing at perpendicular angle. Interestingly.

I guess my BBOS perspective naturally leads to question if iOS and Android haven't "merged" flux lines into an effective monopolar? Do they truly represent a "duopoly" that can be demonstrated thru relative action? ?? How long till that binary system consumes itself into singularity? ?? Lol.

Perhaps a "third" force might add a third plane perpendicular to the other "two"?? ??? Lol.
    01-10-21 03:28 AM
    Not sure you can buy an MRI with painted pictures, or pay for your kid's university with fishes and loaves, but whatever floats your boat.
    The conceptual moral obligation that is limited to one or two generations is just a convenient psychological alibi
    mototopo likes this.
    01-10-21 03:28 AM
    The conceptual moral obligation that is limited to one or two generations is just a convenient psychological alibi
    Well, if I don't buy food there won't be any more generations.
    01-10-21 06:28 AM
    Well, if I don't buy food there won't be any more generations.

and the oversimplification is the virtue of the ignorant
    01-10-21 06:43 AM
    and the oversimplification is the virtue of the ignorant
    OK, so I'm now vain AND ignorant.

What economic model would you suggest we have?
    01-10-21 09:12 AM
    The idea being that Google and Apple are blocking apps on their store that supresses free speech. However, the current major players like Facebook and Twitter have very clear terms of service that some political figures have violated repeatedly. What people dont understand is that free speech is only guaranteed against the government, not private platforms. If another platform comes along and violates the TOS of the app store, wont correct the issue, the app is removed.
    I’m going to avoid getting into the politics of this, given the venue.

But if the goal is to have an App store that doesn’t make decisions about what apps they want to host, those app stores already exist. You don’t need a new OS just to have a new app store with your preferred policies
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-10-21 09:44 AM
    My point that that someone can make a curated App Store for android devices if they want. BB could do it (although I wouldn’t recommend it if I worked there). But it’s silly to have a completely bespoke OS if the goal is a curated App Store. Or I guess curated differently than Google and Apple are curating the ones they own.

BB could also make their own bank? Banks and other FI’s are prohibited by law and international treaty and many contracts from knowingly facilitating terrorist organizations. PayPal and Venmo are banning accounts this weekend as a result of those responsibilities. But again, you don’t need a new OS to make a payment system that facilitates whatever activities you would prefer to facilitate
    01-10-21 12:42 PM
    My point that that someone can make a curated App Store for android devices if they want. BB could do it (although I wouldn’t recommend it if I worked there). But it’s silly to have a completely bespoke OS if the goal is a curated App Store. Or I guess curated differently than Google and Apple are curating the ones they own.

BB could also make their own bank? Banks and other FI’s are prohibited by law and international treaty and many contracts from knowingly facilitating terrorist organizations. PayPal and Venmo are banning accounts this weekend as a result of those responsibilities. But again, you don’t need a new OS to make a payment system that facilitates whatever activities you would prefer to facilitate
    I believe Cash App is along with Square purging....
    01-10-21 12:47 PM
    OK, so I'm now vain AND ignorant.

What economic model would you suggest we have?

Well it's definitely time to think about it. We must correct our mistakes and try to innovate. Big thinkers (Marx, Keynes, Smith) belong to the past. Our societies and additionally the pace of evolution are a huge barrier for fundamental socio-economic analysis. I am a huge advocate though of the transition from shareholder primacy to stakeholder capitalism. It is the first necessary step towards a more responsible governance and towards a genuine context of corporate social responsibility.
    01-10-21 02:13 PM
    Well it's definitely time to think about it. We must correct our mistakes and try to innovate. Big thinkers (Marx, Keynes, Smith) belong to the past. Our societies and additionally the pace of evolution are a huge barrier for fundamental socio-economic analysis. I am a huge advocate though of the transition from shareholder primacy to stakeholder capitalism. It is the first necessary step towards a more responsible governance and towards a genuine context of corporate social responsibility.
    As long as equality of outcome has no part in it. I'm all for equality of opportunity - which is no small challenge either.
    01-10-21 02:30 PM
    I found this article interesting from a year ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...h=16f82cbb785a

As long as equality of outcome has no part in it. I'm all for equality of opportunity - which is no small challenge either.
    As independent business owner, I’m definitely in huge agreement with this exact statement as-is...
    01-10-21 07:58 PM
195 123 ...