There's a meteor shower on April 22nd. It's called the Lyrids Meteor Shower. I just thought I'd let everyone know. It's also Earth Day!

Have fun!
    04-20-10 02:24 AM
    Thank you for letting us know. And where is it and what time does it show?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 06:35 AM
    Faithful meteor shower
    The Lyrids are an annual display of fairly fast meteors that may be seen any night from April 16 to 25: they are above one-half of their maximum in numbers for about a day or two centered on the date of their peak activity. This year, the peak is predicted to fall during the daylight hours (for America and Europe) on April 22. After the gibbous moon sets at about 2:30 a.m. local daylight time that morning, observers near latitude 40 degrees north will still have about 90 minutes of dark sky to watch for the Lyrids before dawn interferes. The southern states are more favored because the moon sets earlier and twilight begins later.
    A single observer may count anywhere from 10 to 20 meteors per hour.
    Norman McLeod, a veteran observer of the American Meteor Society, has described the Lyrids as rich in faint meteors, but with some occasional bright ones. British meteor expert Alastair McBeath, in the 2010 Astronomical Calendar notes that the Lyrids are capable of producing meteors that are "spectacularly bright, with approximately 20-25-percent leaving persistent trains."

Where and when to look
    Watching for meteors is easy. Find a dark place away from lights as much as possible. The predawn hours are best, because that's when the part of Earth you're standing on is facing the oncoming stream of debris — mostly sand-grain-sized particles — that make the meteor shower.
    Lie back, look up, and scan as much of the sky as possible. The meteors could appear anywhere. Give your eyes at least 15 minutes to adjust to the darkness.
    You can distinguish a Lyrid from any other meteors seen around the same time by noting that its trail points back to near the dazzling blue-white star Vega. You'll see this star sitting just above the northeast horizon around 10 p.m. local daylight time; by around 1:30 a.m. it will have climbed to a point more than halfway up in the eastern sky. Actually the radiant or emanation point for these meteors is just to the southwest of Vega, on the border between Vega's little constellation of Lyra (hence the name "Lyrids") and the dim, sprawling constellation of Hercules.
    04-20-10 07:02 AM
    This isn't going to be the most active meteor shower, but I think it's a nice treat for Earth Day.

You'll see a link in my signature for all of the information. Generally you should look after midnight in the morning of April 22nd (12:01 AM to 6 AM any time zone)
    04-20-10 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD