A very (for myself at least!) interesting article I found on AppleInsider, written by Kevin Bostic.

Are there any other Medical Students / HCPs in this forum? What are your thoughts on that topic.

As medicine goes digital, Apple's iPad is top choice among doctors
    06-03-13 06:07 AM
    Can't speak to the medical field, but at law school there was a huge bias towards apple products because of how user friendly the OS is for the technologically disinclined. I imagine medical school is going same.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-03-13 08:43 AM
    I'm an X-ray tech in a stand alone E.R. Everybody uses an iPhone. The exceptions being myself on a Z10, 2 other X-ray techs who are on SgIII's, the lab tech who doesn't care about her phone, and the housekeeper who is on some pay as you go phone.i had one Dr. look at my Z when I first got it, but I couldn't recommend it because the apps they use ARE NOT THERE.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-03-13 10:24 AM
    What apps are needed that aren't there?
    06-03-13 11:17 AM
    Just finished med school and there is HUGE preference for iPads over pretty much any other tablet, primarily due to app availability and quality. With the introduction of the iPad Mini last year it was even more evident as they are easier to carry around (can fit in a white coat pocket). I see a few Android tablets and very few of us subscribed to the PlayBook since it was one of the first with a small footprint, but Apple is definitely winning this war. Some residency programs (training for newly graduated doctors in the medical specialty of their choosing) are even providing iPads as part of orientation, and some hospitals are piloting programs to integrate iPads into their medical records systems to access patient/hospital info.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and thecurryman like this.
    06-03-13 12:07 PM
    Hmm.. That's true. They provided us iPads as well. So that's defiantly a valuable point. I think that the iPad mini was real game changer ~ even if the PlayBook was advertised with some radiology/sonography Apps (?) I never got a hold on these.

OsiriX on Mac and iPad is just the top of the iceberg what is provided in the Apple environment. And everybody that used OsiriX for one time, is never willing to use another one. One main reason why I would never ditch my MacBook.
    06-03-13 12:24 PM
    In practice for 8 years now.. yes, Apple iPads are the preferred tablet because of certain apps. I have an both an iPad and a Playbook, however, the apps aren't available for the PlayBook.

None of us use our iPads that much though. More of a toy.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    06-03-13 12:34 PM
    The idea of my medical data, minuscule as it is, floating around the airwaves makes me a tad nervous. I'm glad it's not Android (Apple is more secure than Android after all) accessing it, but nonetheless...
    06-03-13 01:05 PM
    The idea of my medical data, minuscule as it is, floating around the airwaves makes me a tad nervous. I'm glad it's not Android (Apple is more secure than Android after all) accessing it, but nonetheless...
    Lol understandable. It's actually very secure. And our system doesn't allow for any data to be saved on the actual iPad. Just access to the server.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and BergerKing like this.
    06-03-13 01:10 PM
    Yep, just as the good Dr. said. Way too much liability for practices and hospital systems to allow patient info directly on the mobile device and very likely a violation of HIPAA.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-03-13 04:41 PM
    Yep, just as the good Dr. said. Way too much liability for practices and hospital systems to allow patient info directly on the mobile device and very likely a violation of HIPAA.

Posted via CB10
    In our clinics, we use a mix of Windows 8 pro, and Samsung tablets that have the required hardware to run the EMR software. An iPad can't run those programs. Doubt the PlayBook could either but unsure of that one.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-03-13 07:26 PM
    In our clinics, we use a mix of Windows 8 pro, and Samsung tablets that have the required hardware to run the EMR software. An iPad can't run those programs. Doubt the PlayBook could either but unsure of that one.

Posted via CB10
    That's a nice set up, and great way to keep things as unified as possible with traditional desktop machines. Though, regarding your comment about iOS, I'm in Nashville and I know Vanderbilt's hospital system was piloting a program about a year ago to extend their EMR to iPads for the residents. I haven't gone back to follow up on it but it seemed promising at the time. As for the PlayBook, you could potentially use remote desktop software to access the EMR via VM.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    06-03-13 09:07 PM
    That's a nice set up, and great way to keep things as unified as possible with traditional desktop machines. Though, regarding your comment about iOS, I'm in Nashville and I know Vanderbilt's hospital system was piloting a program about a year ago to extend their EMR to iPads for the residents. I haven't gone back to follow up on it but it seemed promising at the time. As for the PlayBook, you could potentially use remote desktop software to access the EMR via VM.

Sounds interesting! Will bring this up with our IT contractors.. would love to get more use out of my Playbook! Thanks!

Not exactly sure what about the iPad or a galaxy tab tablet that can't run our EMR software, but we had to wait for the Surface Pro to do it. Our Samsung tabs are also much bigger than Galaxy tabs.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 10:03 PM
    Sounds interesting! Will bring this up with our IT contractors.. would love to get more use out of my Playbook! Thanks!

Not exactly sure what about the iPad or a galaxy tab tablet that can't run our EMR software, but we had to wait for the Surface Pro to do it. Our Samsung tabs are also much bigger than Galaxy tabs.

Posted via CB10
    You're welcome! "Remote Desktop for BlackBerry" by Todd Grayson is a good app and doesn't require any additional software to be installed on the desktop machines as it uses Windows' native Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) service to make the connection. I think pretty much any Windows OS after XP has it built in (unless you have the "home" version) and your IT guys should be well aware of it. I have it on the PlayBook and it works well, here's the link for the BB10 version though I haven't tried it on the Z10 yet.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/21742946

06-03-13 10:20 PM
    You're welcome! "Remote Desktop for BlackBerry" by Todd Grayson is a good app and doesn't require any additional software to be installed on the desktop machines as it uses Windows' native Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) service to make the connection. I think pretty much any Windows OS after XP has it built in (unless you have the "home" version) and your IT guys should be well aware of it. I have it on the PlayBook and it works well, here's the link for the BB10 version though I haven't tried it on the Z10 yet.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/21742946

Again, thanks for this! Will have to run it through the IT guys and the College yo make sure it doesn't violate any bylaws.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 10:42 PM
    Very True, All the doctors i know use iphone and i think the facetime feature caused the boom. it made it easier for doctors to communicate, collaborate and consult on patients.
    06-10-13 07:18 PM
    But lots of people entrust the smartphones their bank account data and other very personal information. So, I don't think that secuirity is the thing to worry about. Moreover, mobile technologies are being applied in healthcare very actively. Here are some facts about it.
    00stryder likes this.
    06-12-13 06:19 AM
    But lots of people entrust the smartphones their bank account data and other very personal information. So, I don't think that secuirity is the thing to worry about. Moreover, mobile technologies are being applied in healthcare very actively. Here are some facts about it.
    The fact that lots of people are Ok with a complete lack of digital privacy doesn't mean everyone should be lol.I understand the usefulness of it for medical personal (less walking to get papers) and that it's going to happen no matter how I feel about it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    BergerKing and KaterinaM like this.
    06-12-13 09:59 AM
    I understand the usefulness of it for medical personal (less walking to get papers) and that it's going to happen no matter how I feel about it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Right, digitalization of all spheres is inevitable....
    06-13-13 02:18 AM
    makes sense, has the best screen, size, and portability mixed in one. Also has great battery life, APPS!!, and tons of accesories!
    06-16-13 12:46 AM