41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

20 48.78%
  • John McCain

21 51.22%
    I say marion barry dc mayor should be us prez! He will get things "crackin"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-08 05:52 PM
    Obama! He is the future. McCain is too old. My friend said he should act his age and die. Lol

06-07-08 06:02 PM
    It is a difficult choice - either way and should not be taken lightly.

06-08-08 01:46 PM
    I'm not giving up my guns so Obama isn't getting my vote. Go McCain

06-08-08 01:48 PM
    Obama all the way..

I mean we have Bush now, we already have the worst person in office as we speak. We need change!
    06-08-08 02:34 PM
    I'm not giving up my guns so Obama isn't getting my vote. Go McCain

Why do people think Obama will take their guns?

Did Clinton, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy, Truman, Roosevelt?

That has to be one of the stupidest myths of the democratic party. Next I think they will say, they will take away our cars because they kill just as many people as guns do.

So Silly...
    Last edited by orle8050; 06-08-08 at 02:52 PM.
    06-08-08 02:42 PM
    Why do people think Obama will take their guns?

Did Clinton, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy, Truman, Roosevelt?

That has to be one of the stupidest myths of the democratic party. Next I think they will say, they will take away our cars because they kill just as many people as guns do.

So Silly...
    You call this silly?
    NRA-ILA :: Legislation
    06-09-08 12:18 AM
    You call this silly?
    NRA-ILA :: Legislation
    Yes it is silly, because I think you follow in the myth. The GOP always uses God, Guns and Gays to drive a wedge between the country.

Your website is really funny. First off it is state legistion and NOT Federal and it site NO Sources. I mean none. No One. Nada. I am a web developer on the side. Give me a few minutes and I could put up a site saying you will take guns away if you become Superman. I mean LOL. No Sources. People would believe anything. LOL.

Again, "taking guns away" if you legal own your gun nobody can take it away. You think they are going to go door to door and take away guns. LOL. What's next cars? They kill people. The flu kills more people than guns do. Doctors are going to be locked up next for not finding a cure. LOL.

But you never answered the questions in going back to 1929 to Roosevelt when as a democratic president ever went door to door taking away guns?

Presidents put restrictions on NEW purchases but they don't go to your house and take away a gun you have legally owned for the last 5 or 10 years. LOL.

Same way cars kill people, they don't go and arrest people for crimes they committed when it was legal. They add more restrictions(like seat belt use) and that is really controlled at the state level for most gun and auto legistation. But Nice Try. LOL.

But don't believe the hype and myth. Don't let those old attack tatics mislead people from the truth and the history of this country. LOL God, Guns and Gays. I think the GOP needs a new slogan this election cycle cause google is a wonder thing.

PS. Clinton never took away guns either. He was stricter on laws of new purchases for the saftey of our children. McCain only has a C+ rating on gun laws so WATCH OUT! He might be knocking on your door trying to take your gun too or enforce more laws. LOL. The boogie man is coming. LOL.

Sources:
    Gun control: Election Center 2008 - CNN.com
    Barack Obama on Gun Control
    06-09-08 02:42 AM
    orle8050: Excellent post and points.

And as a member of the NRA, I can say I have been hearing this "the left is coming for your guns" bs for at least 15 years. Hasn't happened, wont happen.

The funny thing about that NRA article posted by sgocka is there is not source attribution whatsoever. Just slapping the word "Fact" at the beginning of a sentence does not make the sentence true.
    06-09-08 05:39 AM
    orle8050: Excellent post and points.

And as a member of the NRA, I can say I have been hearing this "the left is coming for your guns" bs for at least 15 years. Hasn't happened, wont happen.

The funny thing about that NRA article posted by sgocka is there is not source attribution whatsoever. Just slapping the word "Fact" at the beginning of a sentence does not make the sentence true.
    Thank you! I suggest NRA needs to put it's source next to every supposed fact and give the American people the honest facts so we can make honest choices and stop playing on peoeple's fears.

But I was glad that sgocka made a point about an political issue and not this he said, she said, high school popularity contest issue.
    06-09-08 06:25 AM
    I'm not as afraid of Obama taking my guns away as I am of him telling me what to drive, what to eat, and where to set my thermostat!!

Hot Air � Blog Archive � Obama: Let�s eat less so that we can lead by example on climate change
    06-09-08 06:42 AM
    The full quote, because context is extremely important
    The bold is what was left out in the article you posted.

We can’t drive our SUV’s and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times…whether we’re living in the desert or living in the tundra and then just expect that every other countries are going to say OK, you guys just keep using 25% of the worlds energy even though you only account for 3% of the population…that’s not leadership
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-09-08 at 06:53 AM.
    06-09-08 06:50 AM
    The US is always first to respond to world crisis, feed where there is famine, and research/produce continuously. That takes energy/resources.......I resent other people/candidates always throwing these criticisms at us. The world would go to **** in a hand basket in zero flat without the US.
    06-09-08 06:58 AM
    The US is always first to respond to world crisis, feed where there is famine, and research/produce continuously. That takes energy/resources.......I resent other people/candidates always throwing these criticisms at us. The world would go to **** in a hand basket in zero flat without the US.
    I completely agree with you on the good the US has done around the world for years and will continue to do. But that was not my point.

My point was that if we are going to have an honest discussion on where the candidates stand, we should use ALL their words, not cherry pick the ones that make our case
    06-09-08 07:06 AM
    I see your point but look at it like this.

The government already controls what we eat, drive, and where to set the thermostat. Government sets regulations on all of the above. They set food safety standards and what can and can not be sold in stores and the room temp that food must be served at in a restaurant. "The all employees must wash your hands before returning to work" sign is a government controlled regulation. By the way, I guess it's okay when medical doctors tell us we can't eat as much as we want but when someone else says it, it's an uproar. Most American's got to overweight and obese by eating as much as they want, now overall healthcare has gone up to deal with Obesity rates and diabetes, especially in children.

What we drive? Again there are more regulations for the auto industry as I pointed out earlier than the gun industry. Safety standards, the car's weight, fuel standards even down to seat belt and radio loudness standards. Those laws already out there.

Thermostat? The government requires that all children have adequate food and housing. Social workers will make sure that the heat is working and it is set at the appropriate temp. Same for seniors citizens. And government control what kind of thermostat goes in each and every home by city/county inspections. There are certain government controlled requirements that you aren't even aware of. For example, why doesn't thermostat go back 100 degrees because the government won't allow it.

I am glad that we in the a country where we help the other countries around us but I won't be excited about our government until we help the people right here. Katrina, people are still living in trailers. The city is not rebuilt. It took the country days to respond to people in our own country. The homeless population is shameful in America and over 45million people without health care is the worst in any civilized world. 35million Americans living in poverty in this country.
    Last edited by orle8050; 06-09-08 at 07:48 AM.
    06-09-08 07:16 AM
    Of course restaurants, hospitals, schools, etc. have guidelines requirements for serving the population. I don't see where Obama would further tighten down on those requirements in the service industries, so that leaves many to believe he is talking more about what we do as private individuals. I work hard and I don't need a nanny to tell me not to drive my SUV, keep my place at 72 or lower, or to put down my surf and turf for a plate of plants.

Though the response to Katrina, I would agree, was late and needed people better prepared to coordinate relief, we have poured so much money into the area. So money is not the only fix. Give the new governor, Bobby Jindal, some time. He is already making great strides. A fair share of the disaster was attributed to the local governments incompetence.
    06-09-08 08:13 AM
    True once you own a gun its yours but Obama could very well sign another assault rifle ban just like Clinton did. And that is what I meant. As of right now I own 13 firearms and there are many more to come. So if Obama makes certain types of guns illegal because they are "scary looking" just like Clinton did then in essence he would be taking away my guns.

06-09-08 09:10 AM
    Of course restaurants, hospitals, schools, etc. have guidelines requirements for serving the population. I don't see where Obama would further tighten down on those requirements in the service industries, so that leaves many to believe he is talking more about what we do as private individuals. I work hard and I don't need a nanny to tell me not to drive my SUV, keep my place at 72 or lower, or to put down my surf and turf for a plate of plants.

Though the response to Katrina, I would agree, was late and needed people better prepared to coordinate relief, we have poured so much money into the area. So money is not the only fix. Give the new governor, Bobby Jindal, some time. He is already making great strides. A fair share of the disaster was attributed to the local governments incompetence.
    One without the other is not possible. You can�t control individual habits without controlling the industry. The police department is too busy with actual crimes to control how much you are eating , what is the temp in your home or, what is the fuel mileage on your car.

So to break the myth, no president can control is citizens without controlling the market. You can have your surf and turf(which is one of my favs) but also make healthier options affordable so people can�t making everyday grocery decisions not based on what they can�t afford rather what is healthy or non healthy and actually have choices. Side Rant: The McD�s near my job has a double cheeseburger for $1 but if you want the regular cheeseburger it is $1.39. It makes me made but I still get the double cheese at least once a week.

You can have your SUV but the new models will be kinder to the environment, affordable, use less gas and have more perks and whatnots. Which is what they are doing now and Obama is not in the office. Notice, secret service only uses SUV and I hear that they switch to Hybrid but that could just be a rumor.

You can�t control the temp. in someone�s home but they can make newer homes more energy efficient, which they are also doing now. There are tax credits for making your home more energy friendly. Of course, those newer homes I can�t afford.

People(not you) need to stop putting stuff out there playing on people fears at look at reality. Obama honestly didn�t say anything new and stuff already in place by the current administration.

Side Fact: Military fuel consumption makes the Department of Defense the single largest consumer of petroleum in the U.S and is the US military is the biggest purchaser of oil in the world.

Sources:
    http://www.energybulletin.net/13199.html
    Army.com - The US military oil consumption
    06-09-08 09:18 AM
    True once you own a gun its yours but Obama could very well sign another assault rifle ban just like Clinton did. And that is what I meant. As of right now I own 13 firearms and there are many more to come. So if Obama makes certain types of guns illegal because they are "scary looking" just like Clinton did then in essence he would be taking away my guns.

Someone can�t take away something you don�t own. I can�t have �my� Porsche taken away if I never bought it.

I would have to say the Obama would probably put the assault rifle ban back in place but I don�t know for sure.

I am not a gunman and can�t really Google it now but do you what type of animal are you shooting that you would need an assault rifle for?

I think this a great debate.
    06-09-08 09:34 AM
    At this point, I don't believe anybody can fix this country. I am a veteran but still, I am considering Canada at this point.
    06-09-08 09:43 AM
    I am not a gunman and can’t really Google it now but do you what type of animal are you shooting that you would need an assault rifle for?

I think this a great debate.
    Not being a "gunman", you have kind of bought in to the assault weapon myth.

An assault weapon, as defined almost everywhere in the world is a weapon, capable of selective fire (automatic or semi-auto), obvious pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock, etc.

While there are firearms on the US market the do one or more of these things, fully automatic weapons are not generally sold to private citizens (ask rapper TI). And when they are there is an ton of paperwork that the BATF requires.

In the US, the term assault weapon is purely political and quite meaningless, except to foster fear of something that looks like something else. And since mot people are too lazy to do their own research (and I absolutely do not mean you), the government usually gets away with playing fast and loose with words. Think Saturday Night Special.

As to the hunting component of your question, it isn't about the weapon but the caliber of ammunition fired from it, so yes the so called "assault weapon" can be used to hunt. The Colt AR-15 (.223) can be used to effectively take down small to mid-sized game
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-09-08 at 11:29 AM.
    06-09-08 10:18 AM
    That assault rifle ban was nonsence anyway. Banning high capacity magazines, pistol grips, boyonet lugs, folding stocks. The people that buy these firearms legally aren't the ones doing the crime. As far as banning a porsche is concerned. If you wanted one and had the means to buy one and all the sudden somebody told you that you couldnt have it because it was "scary looking" i'm willing to bet you wouldnt be too happy about it.
    Same goes for firearms.
    06-09-08 11:07 AM
    I'm just waiting for 2012.
    06-09-08 02:07 PM
    Spanko75- nice thought, Canada?? Ummmm!! Try Europe. In a little while the US WILL BE called the United States of Europe. Have a nice day!!!

06-09-08 02:24 PM
    ... Obama is a terrorist. ..
    Why do you say this?
    06-09-08 09:21 PM
152 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD