So, who here trains in the martial arts?

I have been doing martial arts for just about 13 years now (I'm 17 and I started at 4 and 1/2).

But, I practice in Tung Su Doe (A korean style quite similar to basic Tae Kwon Doe), and I have also practiced Wing Chun (Kung Fu) mixed with some Bogwa and leung gung stretching technique.

Not only do I want this thread to serve as a place for our diverse crackberry community to discuss their martial art talents, but I also have a question to pose.
    I am looking to try a different style of martial arts; I am happy training right now, but I feel like I still haven't found my place. I'm strong and definitely at the top of my class, but I feel as though my potential still hasn't been reached.
    I'm kinda short, but muscular (not skinny, but not fat... maybe a little less than 'stocky') ... my kicks in Tung Su Doe are pretty solid, but of course, I will never be able to kick as high as others because of my body type, and I'm also not as fast (or quick) as some others. I usually am able to overpower my opponents because of my core strength and just sheer strength and will power... but I feel as though there is definitely a specific style of martial art that will fit my body type, and I was just wondering if anyone had any input.

Now, discuss martial arts! (and help me if you can )
    02-03-11 11:46 PM
    I do know Yubiwaza (One finger defense) and about 5 other Japanese words.

But my favorite defense is an old Austrian tool... Glock
    02-04-11 10:13 AM
    14 years of Kung Fu (that's why my screen name is what it is lol) .. a lot of it is internal .. check out the website HGVN - Vietnamese martial arts - Hồng Gia Việt Nam

and 3 years of Tae Kwon Do (my least favorite..it was all exhibition to me)
    02-04-11 10:25 AM
    I'm also not as fast (or quick) as some others. I usually am able to overpower my opponents because of my core strength and just sheer strength and will power... but I feel as though there is definitely a specific style of martial art that will fit my body type, and I was just wondering if anyone had any input.(and help me if you can )
    I also started when I was 4 1/2. I'm 23 now.

In 2004 I was 4th in the Nation, I'm also a Certified Instructor and Ring Ref.

I've studied Tae Kwon Do (my fav because I love tournaments and showmanship) and Shukokai.

Here is a GREAT practice I had to BURN into my body when preparing for the Nationals-

Take two objects (preferably about 6 inches, to a foot tall), and set them about a foot apart.

Stand them up, parallel to each other, then stand next to them so that one of the objects is directly underneath your right hand.

Keep your hands still and at your side, and jump to the other side of the other object(so that the object is directly under your left hand)-

While keeping your upper body as still as possible.

You should do this so that you're jumping and only your knees are moving.

The moment you land on the other side of the other object, immediately jump back to your starting position.

Repeat this with steady increments until it gets easier. Then spread the objects out little by little, OR use taller objects.

If you incorporate this into your practice your twitch muscle movement should improve, and little by little you should get faster.

In High School I used to walk around with 5 pound ankle weights under my uniform. It was a pain, especially in summer.

Also, have you tried using a weighted uniform? Going from a heavier canvas, to a lighter canvas uniform can help out too.

I find that flexibility and practice, really help with kicking higher.

Growing up, my sensei used to make us do spinning heel kicks over and over again over metal folding chairs.

You either do it high enough to clear the chair, or you hurt your heel in the process.

As we got older we moved onto small to medium sized ladders or hand truck dollys.

Stretch, and Practice! No pain no gain!

The nerves in my shins are pretty much dead from kicking tree trunks over and over again!

Now a days, I realize HALF the things I was made to do growing up, would never fly in todays CUDDLE PILE Karate institutions.

But privately, theres no reason not to try outside of your Dojo.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-04-11 at 03:30 PM.
    02-04-11 03:01 PM
    I got my yellow belt in tae kwon do when I was 12.
    I've considered getting back in, but... too much time, too expensive, and no roundhouse kick will stop a bullet.
    02-04-11 05:41 PM
    Chinese kickboxing for 12 years (from 8 to 20) but came to the realization that unless I'm getting paid GOOD that I shouldn't get my face punched in. Similar situation with my basketball career when I realized my 6' white boy frame probably wouldn't lend any cash in the NBA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 01:15 AM
    I got my yellow belt in tae kwon do when I was 12.
    I've considered getting back in, but... too much time, too expensive, and no roundhouse kick will stop a bullet.
    Unfortunately, very few things will stop a bullet for the layman anyway.

Learning Martial Arts has more perks than just Roundhouse kicks-

When put in a certain situation a Martial Artist is more likely to react proactively when put in a stressful situation.

Due to their years of training and mental conditioning.

Second nature kicks in naturally.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-05-11 at 09:11 AM.
    02-05-11 08:57 AM
    Unfortunately, very few things will stop a bullet for the layman anyway.

Learning Martial Arts has more perks than just Roundhouse kicks-

When put in a certain situation a Martial Artist is more likely to react proactively when put in a stressful situation.

Due to their years of training and mental conditioning.

Second nature kicks in naturally.
    Totally agree to that! And not everyone has a gun (or a knife, even though many talented martial artists can stop an inexperienced knife user).

I'm going to a new Wing Chun class next Tuesday to try it out again. Supposedly the Si-Fu there was taught by the same man who taught Bruce Lee (Yip Man)
    02-05-11 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD