Hello, I'm heading to Kuching Malaysia in a while with some co-workers and we're trying to figure out a good high speed mobile Internet with lots of data option while we're there. Anyone from the area that has any advice would be helpful. Since we'll be traveling back and forth for at least a year, longer term commitments may be an option.
    Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:58 PM
    I will get Usman on to you ASAP
    mcstravi and pkcable like this.
    05-13-14 10:15 PM
    Sorry OP I'm in johor area,not in kuching

What you need to know about? Internet provider over there?

Posted via CB10
    mcstravi and pkcable like this.
    05-13-14 10:19 PM
    My guess is that he wants a SIM with data or a mobile hotspot he can use to power his devices. And a reasonable plan for it. . Thanks for the help guys. As you can see I reached out a little.
    05-13-14 10:22 PM
    A quick Google search reveals an ISP that offers 4G coverage on Kuching, you can look into this:

http://www.p1.com.my/kuching/

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    pkcable likes this.
    05-13-14 10:25 PM
    The average is RM 65 for 5 gb/month
    1$ = 3.5 RM

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 10:26 PM
    Post your BlackBerry pin here and I will add you to our active BBM Malaysia group.
    And you can ask them. If I'm not mistaken we have a few from East Malaysia in our group.
    pkcable and mcstravi like this.
    05-13-14 10:27 PM
    Hi OP, can you be more spesific as to what kind of data do you need?

The three main providers are

3G Carriers
    Celcom
    DiGi
    Maxis

The other carriers are 4G, and MVNOs, but some are worth mentioning.

If you're going to be in Kuching town only and not other places, there are options. But if you're mobile (like really mobile) and in need of a lot of data (i don't know how much is "much" for you, I use around 40-60GB a month, but not all of it on mobile data) via mobile lines, then we can't help much.

I can try to formulate a plan for you, but you will have to help us to help you by getting more details.

add on:

For example, one of the 3 major wireless telcos here charge RM250 (that's about give and take less than USD100) for registration if you're going for postpaid (use now pay later). The pay up front, deduct from credit is called "prepaid" here, though it may mean "prepay" if you're from countries like New Zealand, etc.

But without more data on what kind of data you need, we really can't help. Like what's the budget, how many people, etc. I understand that not all projects are MEANT to be divulged, in your case it may even be top secret, but if you can tell us like

a) budget / monetary limit per month per person (because there is no such thing as shared quota, except for one 4G-Wimax carrier, but they DO NOT operate in Kuching)
    b) average consumption per month (how many GBs per person?)
    c) which part of Kuching? Are you just hanging around town area or going as far as remote and rural areas? (coverage is an issue to factor in, so the more data, the better, and we can honestly help you without you revealing too much)

Hope to hear from you, A.S.A.P
    zocster, mcstravi, pkcable and 1 others like this.
    05-14-14 07:31 AM
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback.
    I don't know if I have all of the answers yet but here is what I can tell you.

We will be working at a business in the Sama Jaya Free Industrial zone and I assume staying in a hotel around there.
    The main concern is getting getting connection for a laptop so we can have staff in North America connect with a remote desktop and for upload and download software. But since we don't work for the business directly we can't install anything more permanent so we thought that an 4G or LTE connection would be best.
    Budget is still a wild card but I'd guess 50-100 US would be a good range. Probably more if there are good options.

For data, the more the better but I would say 20Gb would a good start. I noticed some maxis plans that has 12gb peak and 36gb off peak which would probably be OK since the folks in NA could probably use the off peak time primarily.

The secondary request is for individuals who want to connect from their hotel to surf the net or Skype /BBM to home, so either SIM or mobile modem. They would be there periodically a few weeks at a time, sometimes only 1 or 2 trips in a year, while some doing the bulk of the work will spend more time in Malaysia.
    Number of people will vary, but probably 2-4 for most of the work, with management tagging along for some of the trips.

I think we wouldn't need data in any remote areas as that would probably only occur during site seeing.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:42 AM
    Here is my pin, thanks for the help.

2B7E46D3

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:45 AM
    Sounds like some sort of mobile hotspot device with a plan would be your best bet.
    05-14-14 08:49 AM
    Yep you can use P1 wimax 4G servise wifi modem, I use it at home with 20 gb kuota /month with rm 100 bill

Posted via CB10

Edit : and I get 2 modem 1 is static modem connect to pc and another one is mobile modem
    05-14-14 08:52 AM
    Here is my pin, thanks for the help.

2B7E46D3

Posted via CB10
    Added..

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    pkcable likes this.
    05-14-14 08:53 AM
    Badiyee is from kuching if I remember correctly

Posted via CB10
    pkcable likes this.
    05-14-14 08:55 AM
    Discussed (ALREADY) this in group chat with OP, but just reposting for future benefit (by that time PLEASE DOUBLE, TRIPLE CHECK as what you signed up for today may have changed and no longer be valid by the time this is read in the future)

In coverage
    1. DiGi
    2. Maxis
    3. Celcom
    4. uMobile (MNVO)

since this is DATA related discussion:

Postpaid: (for value)
    1. Maxis
    2. Celcom

Prepaid (for value)
    1. uMobile
    2. Instanet (Celcom)

Value refers to PRICE / GB

For Maxis. (postpaid)
    You want https://store.maxis.com.my/maxis/per...wbbpromoformos

You only want this https://store.maxis.com.my/maxis/per...eless-internet
    IF you want the call minutes (maybe good for calling from your mobile HQ to erm, your fellow colleagues, 300 minutes ain't bad)

No overage for data. Calls, yes. You get throttled to 128kbps if you exceed the data. I don't recall if you can buy an add on for this. Expect speeds of 2Mbps, and upload of 384/512mbps. But it should be good enough, because I can do WoW on a remote desktop over this (don't ask me why, let's just say I was desperate enough to do it just because i had to raid)

Maxis Prepaid:
    (NOT WORTH MENTIONING)

Celcom Postpaid:
    not worth mentioning

Celcom postpaid
    not worth mentioning

Special mention:
    Umobile :

The only prepaid plan with proper "add on internet" that doesn't kill the user.
    I mentioned before the 20GB plan but they seem to just VERY RECENTLY (as in less than 1 month) killed it. Will double check as some resellers are still offering it.
    Uzi, zocster, jafrul and 1 others like this.
    05-14-14 10:02 AM
    I am really proud of how our community has stepped up to help here!!!!!
    Uzi and ronfc like this.
    05-14-14 10:10 AM
    Yes, this has been an awesome response!
    Many thanks to everyone who has gone out of their way to help a fellow Crackberrian!

Posted via CB10
    ronfc and Uzi like this.
    05-14-14 10:22 AM
    Update:

Mcstravi,

UMobile will be your best bet for personal internet (upload speeds may be absymal)

The quota is RM98 / 20GB (monthy, cannot be added on), but you won't get it via internet links. Resellers (we call them agents) will be able to get you the plan, and its pre-paid so you just have to bank in and let them do their thing.
    05-16-14 08:21 PM
    Thanks, is it 3G, 4G or 4G LTE?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 12:41 PM
    3g HSDPA / HSUPA that is supposed to peak at 72mbps

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 12:16 AM
    So where do I need to go to get it once I arrive in Kuching? Do I need to go to a u-mobile store or are they available at other stores?
    Also you said the upload speed is bad, do you mean 1Mbps bad or worse?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 08:54 AM
    So where do I need to go to get it once I arrive in Kuching? Do I need to go to a u-mobile store or are they available at other stores?
    Also you said the upload speed is bad, do you mean 1Mbps bad or worse?

Posted via CB10
    just go to a u-Mobile store. For reloads and for the RM98/20GB they normally can do it for you, but normally they try not to tell you, like how American carriers do with BlackBerry devices.

Upload is at 1mbps.
    05-19-14 09:39 AM
    Post your BlackBerry pin here and I will add you to our active BBM Malaysia group.
    And you can ask them. If I'm not mistaken we have a few from East Malaysia in our group.
    Sekarang macam tak aktif je group tu.hehe

White z10 user.
    06-10-14 12:35 PM
    Sekarang macam tak aktif je group tu.hehe

White z10 user.
    Bro.. Keta tak bergerak kalau takde pemandu.
    Be pro active. Engage dalam discussion.
    Semalam kitorang discuss, ko senyap je..
    Kalau takde topik, create topik.
    Takde le senyap..
    Kan? ;p

Posted via my Astro Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-10-14 06:36 PM
    My pin: 2BECD125 add to grup ya..tqvm

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:51 AM