for last few weeks i have been leaving all my junk mail and catalogs and coupon offers in my mail box because i didnt want to carry them around and throw them away...
    i didnt ask for them to be mailed to me in the first place!!!!
    so today i walk to my mail box and its empty.

the post office took all my sht back, leaving a note that says: your mail is held at the office untill (date) and then mailed back to the sender.

WTF mate.
    i still want the mail that has my name on it i just dont want the junk...

some of you guys might say oh its normal just throw it in the garbage every time u get your mail.

but i say to you what if i ran your foot over with my car and stay there.
    is that normal? i mean it doesnt bother me.

what id like to know.
    is there a way to fight back those damn ads in my mailbox?
    i dotn just want to be a good beach and waste my time digging thru the mailbox in order to find a piece of a real mail.
    id like to do something about it.
    because now i have to drive to the frikkin post office to get my mail BECAUSE OF the junk mail filled up my box.
    05-15-09 12:20 PM
    Ok were to start.... First I see no one really wants to call you stup1d so I will... Second take your junk mail out don't let it fill up cause they can't fit any more mail... That's what they do its not a case of getting back at them its a case of you getting off your lazy @ss and removing the mail and recycling it... Some people rant about the stupidist things

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 06:43 PM
    What kind of junk mail are you talking about? Most advertisers that send mail to you received your name/address somehow.

That is what the post office does. If your mailbox is full and they cannot put any more mail into it standard procedure is for them to leave a note card and take the mail back to the post office. They aren't going to continue leaving the mail there for you if it is piling up because of privacy issues.

Just take all of your mail into your house and dispose of the junk mail. It really isn't that much of an inconvenience.
    05-15-09 07:11 PM
    Okay, I do understand this somewhat. We live in a nice, but LARGE, apartment community/complex. We have tiny mailboxes, and twice weekly (at least) get the "Customers @ (address)" mailings, that are packets of grocery store fold-out, newspaper-size ads, local store coupons, etc, etc, etc. Each one is almost 1" think with absolute spam. Now, curl this up in our little mailbox...and tell me how much space would be left. We also have a roommate who at some point signed up for seemingly every magazine under the sun (seriously...parenting mags (he's not a dad), PC Gamer mags, fishing, body building, outdoor/hiking mags...and he's in a wheelchair), so our mailbox gets loaded up very quickly.
    Verizon put in their FIOS network in the complex, and we've gotten weekly ads from them ever since. Clearwire, too. And let's not forget our own cell phone companies. And bills. And community college booklets.
    People kept leaving them next to the mailboxes so often that the complex took to putting a garbage bin next to the mailboxes.

HOWEVER, it is really stupid (yep, I said it, too) and lazy as heck to leave it there.
    If you REALLY want it to stop, be PROACTIVE. On most mailings, there's an address or phone number or website. All those Val-U-Pacs and such have 'em. If you're too lazy to recycle them, then call or write them and have them remove your address.
    HOWEVER, they may not. Why? Because they're not invading your privacy: they don't have your name or number. You can throw it out or recycle it.
    It's basically the same as asking pizza places to not hang their flyers on your door. It's not going to happen.
    05-16-09 12:01 AM
    Howdy raverx3m,

No, you have to drive to the post office because the person that delivers your mail, assumed that because the mailbox was filling up, that you were not home. So to keep important mail from getting stolen, they held it until you come to get it and resume your service.

If you live in an apartment complex, suggest that they put a paper recycling bin next to the mail boxes.

If you are in a private home, put a recycle bin out by the mailbox to drop the junk mail into, then once a week, month, throw all the junk mail into your normal recycling.

Go here to help get off mailing lists for coupons and flyers.

Reducing Junk Mail

It's a pain in the rump to have to opt out of flyers and other junk, but as sodakitty said, check for the senders address and or phone number, to get off their mailing lists. I removed myself from all the flyer and coupons years ago. And you can go to the post office to request that mail that is not addressed to you, not be put in your box. Years ago I filled out a form to stop flyers and such getting into my mail box. And any that got through I just called them up to have them not mail things to me.

Hopefully one of these days they will change things so that if you want junk mail you have to opt in to get it. Bet the junk mailers will be happy to make it easy to opt in once they can't do blind mass mailings, only to find out no one want their crap.
    05-16-09 12:28 AM
    I work at the post office. If you really want to avoid any junk mail, Get a PO Box you will see a dramatic drop in flyers,coupons and other junk.
    05-17-09 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD