Hey guys,

Just wanted some opinions from you fellow mac users, whether the macbook pro base model is worth the extra 200 bucks vs the white macbook.

There are a number of things that attracts me to getting the macbook pro
    1) Build quality and durability
    2) Overall design

In terms of specs, both are virtually identical, so I was wondering whether it would be worth my money to invest in a mac that is 200 dollars more.

And if there are any other opinions on why you chose the macbook pro over the regular macbook, please state why! As I am very interested in seeing my options.

One of the reasons why I'm planning on purchasing a macbook is due to its weight...one of the main reasons why I hardly ever bring my current lenovo 15 inch around is due to its weight. I also prefer snow leopard over windows for numerous reasons, but I won't get into that. I'm also wondering why I see more macbook pros around campus over the white macbook, and I don't think that even half of these users do anything related to video editing, graphics etc at the slightest.

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry if this post is too long :-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 04:36 PM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted some opinions from you fellow mac users, whether the macbook pro base model is worth the extra 200 bucks vs the white macbook.

There are a number of things that attracts me to getting the macbook pro
    1) Build quality and durability
    2) Overall design

In terms of specs, both are virtually identical, so I was wondering whether it would be worth my money to invest in a mac that is 200 dollars more.

And if there are any other opinions on why you chose the macbook pro over the regular macbook, please state why! As I am very interested in seeing my options.

One of the reasons why I'm planning on purchasing a macbook is due to its weight...one of the main reasons why I hardly ever bring my current lenovo 15 inch around is due to its weight. I also prefer snow leopard over windows for numerous reasons, but I won't get into that. I'm also wondering why I see more macbook pros around campus over the white macbook, and I don't think that even half of these users do anything related to video editing, graphics etc at the slightest.

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry if this post is too long :-P

I feel you, man. As a MacBook owner myself, unless you really need the Pro's extra horsepower for graphics, media editing, etc., I'd go with the white one. Mine, despite being 4.5 years old, continues to do everything I need it to with ease. Granted, I did some upgrades about a year ago but nothing huge. I got a 320GB hard drive, upgraded my Airport card, increased my RAM to 2GB, and upgraded my optical drive from a Combodrive to a Superdrive. All of that for about $120. I wish I could upgrade my processor, but Apple makes that impossible.

This is just a guess, but a lot of the Pro's you see on campus might be regular MacBooks. For one generation about two years back, Apple strayed from the white and silver distinction, and the regular MacBook and Pro models looked exactly the same (aluminum unibody).
    01-19-11 06:17 PM
    I feel you, man. As a MacBook owner myself, unless you really need the Pro's extra horsepower for graphics, media editing, etc., I'd go with the white one. Mine, despite being 4.5 years old, continues to do everything I need it to with ease. Granted, I did some upgrades about a year ago but nothing huge. I got a 320GB hard drive, upgraded my Airport card, increased my RAM to 2GB, and upgraded my optical drive from a Combodrive to a Superdrive. All of that for about $120. I wish I could upgrade my processor, but Apple makes that impossible.

This is just a guess, but a lot of the Pro's you see on campus might be regular MacBooks. For one generation about two years back, Apple strayed from the white and silver distinction, and the regular MacBook and Pro models looked exactly the same (aluminum unibody).
    hey thanks for the input. The macbooks I saw were definitely pros as they were labeled as "macbook pro". I've only seen like a couple of the aluminum macbooks.

I was just wondering if it was worth the extra bucks as 200 bucks more isnt entirely much relative to the price of the systems. It might sound like I'm convincing myself that its worth the extra cash, but for only 200 more, I get a brighter screen, a backlit keyboard and an overall better built machine. I just wanted some second thoughts.

01-22-11 08:04 PM
    I would recommend putting OS X on a laptop of comparable specs, then call it a hackbook pro. For $399, you could get one new, then load 'er up. No pun intended, just suggesting to save $600 or more.

01-25-11 04:18 AM
    For those less technically inclined (in general), the value of the Apple store/genius bar is quite up there. And with a MacBook, it's so easy to bring your machine in for help.
    01-25-11 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD