Do you think that when people type lol, they are actually laughing out loud?
    01-23-09 06:18 AM
    I think alot of times its used as a way of letting people know your joking or that you mean no harm by your words.
    01-23-09 11:11 AM
    Both the qualitative and quantitative steady deterioration of BB-owner I.Q.s further continues...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 11:36 AM
    Both the qualitative and quantitative steady deterioration of BB-owner I.Q.s further continues...

LMAO!!! Ok, I think I just pee'd a little.
    01-23-09 12:10 PM
    sometimes i actually do laugh out loud...depending where i am...
    01-23-09 12:27 PM

Agreed, but is it a qualitative change or simply a shift based on the addictive nature of this forum, thereby making it susceptible of mis measurement? (I think I'm supposed to insert an lol here)

I just can't bring myself to type lol in a post, text or email. Maybe it's generation dependent. If I thought something was funny, I spell it out for the author. If I'm trying to be funny, I wouldn't want to appear to be laughing at my own comedic remarks.

I started this thread as a muse, really, but now that I've had it in the forefront this morning, I've noticed that there are some that use it to death, at the end of the majority of their sentences.

I've started to notice the younger professionals in our organization using texting abbreviations in their company emails. Granted, the majority are casual communications, but every one of them is a record and a reflection.

But that's just me....
    01-23-09 12:35 PM
    Agreed, but is it a qualitative change or simply a shift based on the addictive nature of this forum, thereby making it susceptible of mis measurement? (I think I'm supposed to insert an lol here)

I just can't bring myself to type lol in a post, text or email. Maybe it's generation dependent. If I thought something was funny, I spell it out for the author. If I'm trying to be funny, I wouldn't want to appear to be laughing at my own comedic remarks.

I started this thread as a muse, really, but now that I've had it in the forefront this morning, I've noticed that there are some that use it to death, at the end of the majority of their sentences.

I've started to notice the younger professionals in our organization using texting abbreviations in their company emails. Granted, the majority are casual communications, but every one of them is a record and a reflection.

But that's just me....
    very interesting point...
    01-23-09 12:37 PM
    I lol think lol "LOL" lol is lol a lol very lol abused lol and lol mis-used lol acronymn.
    01-23-09 12:49 PM
    I remember when 'lol' used to be such a sincere and meaningful sentiment...woe are thy days.

01-23-09 02:34 PM
    "lol" IS overused and means very little to a conversation.

Some people even use it as punctuation lol

I agree that it has lost its "oomph", but that's why it has been replaced with LMAO, or ROFL
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-23-09 at 04:59 PM.
    01-23-09 04:55 PM
    A grown man writing a "lol" should be destroyed.

01-23-09 06:25 PM
    A grown man writing a "lol" should be destroyed.

LOL......*awaits your attempt at destruction.*
    01-23-09 11:31 PM
    I have used it generally to let someone know that I thought their comment was funny. I try not to overuse it,but there are times when I genuinely do LOL. I think a lot of people who use it at every turn are the same ones that say "like" after every other word. Sometimes people can't help it if they make Paris Hilton look like a member of Mensa.

01-23-09 11:38 PM
    I use '' lol '' as if I was using '' haha '' I don't know, that's how I have always used it. I haven't really thought about it. I guess people are like what is he '' laughing out loud '' about? Weird...
    01-24-09 01:16 AM
    This is a strange thread. LOL!!
    01-24-09 06:30 PM
    lolzor

My 9 year old will SAY lol in conversation. Like mcbudden said, lol has come to mean the same thing as "ha ha".

Sometimes you might actually LOL IRL when you say LOL but IDK.
    01-24-09 07:32 PM
    I read somewhere that because lol has lost its literal meaning and weakened, people use capitalized LOL to mean they are actually laughing out loud. I guess it could be so, as you are going to the extra trouble to capitalize it, it isn't just a reflex comment lol. Personally I hate the way it's become weakened, as I only ever used to use it when I really was laughing out loud (that one there wasn't a laugh, believe me). I don't use it anymore because I need to find another way to let someone know I really am laughing.

I do laugh out loud sometimes, and it's challenging to let the person know how funny you thought it was. Like WWL weeping with laughter? Dunno.
    01-24-09 08:39 PM

lol?
    01-24-09 10:21 PM
    I have used it generally to let someone know that I thought their comment was funny. I try not to overuse it,but there are times when I genuinely do LOL. I think a lot of people who use it at every turn are the same ones that say "like" after every other word. Sometimes people can't help it if they make Paris Hilton look like a member of Mensa.

+5........
    01-24-09 10:28 PM
    lolzor

My 9 year old will SAY lol in conversation. Like mcbudden said, lol has come to mean the same thing as "ha ha".

Sometimes you might actually LOL IRL when you say LOL but IDK.
    ITRW?.....
    01-24-09 10:32 PM
    I read somewhere that because lol has lost its literal meaning and weakened, people use capitalized LOL to mean they are actually laughing out loud. I guess it could be so, as you are going to the extra trouble to capitalize it, it isn't just a reflex comment lol. Personally I hate the way it's become weakened, as I only ever used to use it when I really was laughing out loud (that one there wasn't a laugh, believe me). I don't use it anymore because I need to find another way to let someone know I really am laughing.

I do laugh out loud sometimes, and it's challenging to let the person know how funny you thought it was. Like WWL weeping with laughter? Dunno.
    Go ahead and type it out! "That was funny!"

There are no text constraints here, which is what got me started with this thread. We are not texting on this forum...

It's funny how this thread has taken off, after starting it because I was bored.
    01-25-09 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD