A little over 2 years ago my wife began to have aches all over her body, to be more specific, her bones, her joints. Went to several doctors and diagnosed her with arthritis and carpal tunnel . So I went and got her 2 braces for her hands, she'd take Tylenol when her bones ached too much and was given some other prescriptions to ease her pain, which were to no avail. Here was my 36 year old wife not being able to do much because she felt like an 80 year old woman. There came a period where she noticed that she was swelling. Swelling badly from her waist down. Here was my 36 year old, 100 lb. wife looking like a dead corpse about to explode...we went to the emergency room the night and once they got her blood pressure down with a patch (who would've ever thought , my none smoking and none drinking wife with high blood pressure?? ), they sent her back home, feet bloated beyond recognition, unable to walk...but because she had an appointment with her Dr. on Monday ( this was Friday night) they let her go. 2 days later our lives changed when at 3 am in the morning she had a stoke. What a shock for me to be in a position where I literally saved my wife's life. 2-3 weeks in the hospital, about 2 months of rehab back home and she's back to work. Other things have happened in between which I may or may not indulge in at a later time, but fast forward 2 years later and she's working, going to every baseball game and practice our 12 year old son has, trying to be a wife in between her occasional flair ups, keeping hope and faith alive, and fighting for what will be a battle till the day she dies. So what are your stories of family or friends with Lupus?

Posted via CB10 with z10
    05-12-14 01:56 PM
    Amazing story! SO glad she has come through all these terrible things!
    Your son needs her to be there and thank god she is!
    05-12-14 03:12 PM
    Amazing story! SO glad she has come through all these terrible things!
    Your son needs her to be there and thank god she is!
    While she was getting treatment for her joint pains she would get up in the middle of the night (actually, she wouldn't even go to sleep), crying hysterically because she couldn't stand the pain. I'd ask her what I could do to ease her pain and felt helpless and useless when she told me there was nothing I could do. She told me that she didn't think she would outlive me at the rate that she was going. I am 12 years her senior, so to hear her say that and then after her stroke, not remembering absolutely anything about her life was quite painful to bear and see. But through the grace of God, although she has to take her meds on a daily basis ( everyday when it's time for her dosage, I send her a "reminder text", just a way to let her know that I'm there for her) she continues to try to be strong and fight. Just this week she's been having joint pains again so she has to go see her Dr...just a reminder that although she tries to go on life as if nothing is wrong, she needs to live right and not over do it in her everyday life.

Posted via CB10 with z10
    05-12-14 03:37 PM
    Sorry lupus sucks man I hope your wife is doing ok. My mom had lupus got diagnosed when she was 31 but it was to far along at that point to do anything about besides try and manage it. I guess that's all you can really do any ways I remember my dad left my mom after after he found out like she was infected I was about 5 at the time my brother was 8 I remember coming home from school my dad broke in our house while we were gone left one pot and a few other dishes dude is trash but my mom was so strong I don't know how she kept everything going so smooth while battling this horrible sickness the flair ups are the worst sometimes she could not even get up its was a battle for her she always made it seem like everything was ok I know she was hurting she had over 30 pills to take at one point just crazy she passed away may 26th of 2011 from another cause but lupus was always a battle finding a dr that cared and did not just want to use her as a guinea pig this probably makes no sense just the thoughts in my mind anyways hope your wife's lupus ends up in remission that's what we always hoped for. Sorry for no punctuation just got to typing away

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:00 PM
    Wow pray the best for your family bro

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:08 PM
    This is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I hope nothing but the best for you and your wife.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:13 PM
    A friend's wide has Lupus. One day at a time and really growing to appreciate the little things in life.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 12:37 AM
    While she was getting treatment for her joint pains she would get up in the middle of the night (actually, she wouldn't even go to sleep), crying hysterically because she couldn't stand the pain. I'd ask her what I could do to ease her pain and felt helpless and useless when she told me there was nothing I could do. She told me that she didn't think she would outlive me at the rate that she was going. I am 12 years her senior, so to hear her say that and then after her stroke, not remembering absolutely anything about her life was quite painful to bear and see. But through the grace of God, although she has to take her meds on a daily basis ( everyday when it's time for her dosage, I send her a "reminder text", just a way to let her know that I'm there for her) she continues to try to be strong and fight. Just this week she's been having joint pains again so she has to go see her Dr...just a reminder that although she tries to go on life as if nothing is wrong, she needs to live right and not over do it in her everyday life.

Posted via CB10 with z10
    God really does amazing things. Keep up the faith

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    05-20-14 02:55 AM
    Sorry lupus sucks man I hope your wife is doing ok. My mom had lupus got diagnosed when she was 31 but it was to far along at that point to do anything about besides try and manage it. I guess that's all you can really do any ways I remember my dad left my mom after after he found out like she was infected I was about 5 at the time my brother was 8 I remember coming home from school my dad broke in our house while we were gone left one pot and a few other dishes dude is trash but my mom was so strong I don't know how she kept everything going so smooth while battling this horrible sickness the flair ups are the worst sometimes she could not even get up its was a battle for her she always made it seem like everything was ok I know she was hurting she had over 30 pills to take at one point just crazy she passed away may 26th of 2011 from another cause but lupus was always a battle finding a dr that cared and did not just want to use her as a guinea pig this probably makes no sense just the thoughts in my mind anyways hope your wife's lupus ends up in remission that's what we always hoped for. Sorry for no punctuation just got to typing away

Posted via CB10
    I remember after her stroke the amount of pills she was taking, I think it was like 80 a week. And not being able to do the things shed like to with our son I know gets her down, but she doesn't show him, or me, her true feelings

Sent from another device other than my Q10 ,using CB Forums
    05-20-14 11:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's a shame that your father bailed out on her when she probably needed him the most. But at least she had the support of you and your siblings, leaving my wife is not even an option for me. I'm with her till the end. She didn't ask for this disease.

05-20-14 11:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you talk to your father now?

05-20-14 11:17 AM
    Do you talk to your father now?

No I don't talk to him he is a piece of s***. I tried to talk to him after she passed away so he could meet my daughter and try and be a grandfather. He told me that it's not for him and for me to just do my thing and he will do his. So that's fine with me I'm such a good parent because of how bad he was like I just strive to be nothing like him I'm not perfect but you know. And your a good man staying with her not everyone is like that a lot of people bail when things get bad.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 07:34 PM
    No I don't talk to him he is a piece of s***. I tried to talk to him after she passed away so he could meet my daughter and try and be a grandfather. He told me that it's not for him and for me to just do my thing and he will do his. So that's fine with me I'm such a good parent because of how bad he was like I just strive to be nothing like him I'm not perfect but you know. And your a good man staying with her not everyone is like that a lot of people bail when things get bad.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear that. Thank you!

05-20-14 07:37 PM
    I feel you pain OP, in reference to your original post I too have experienced the exact same with my wife, also 36.
    It really pains me to see her, some days good some days bad.
    I just have to maintain strength for the both of us.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 07:50 PM
    I guess her having had the stroke was like a blessing because had she had not had it her lupus probably would not have been diagnosed on time.

05-20-14 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Had It not been because she had a stroke who knows if she's be in the same shoes as your mother. The lupus caused her stroke: her kidneys were failing, her legs were swollen because she was retaining water , that triggered high blood pressure and then she had the stroke, but you see her now and you can't believe what happens just 2 years ago. She tends to not wanna acknowledge that she has it and tries to go on her daily routines, but quickly realizes she can't do what she used to....but that's fine, that's why I'm there for.

05-20-14 08:43 PM
    Same thing with my wife, she believes and she tries to do everything as before until....

Caribbean Z30
    05-20-14 09:44 PM
    Fast forward 2 years...as some of you know, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a little over 8 months ago and chose to have it removed just this past month.
    My wife has been doing fine as well. Medication keeps her lupus in check but every now and then she'll have an outbreak and she gets red blotches all over her body. If she were light skinned they would probably be more noticeable. Last blood work done just this past week showed that all was good, she'll have to go back in a few months. No more suntans for her (although it's not a good thing regardless), and no more chemo for the foreseeable future.

Posted via z10
    04-21-16 04:19 PM