I've noticed that on CB we have people from all over the World.
    I was thinking that it would be intresting to learn a bit about different countries.
    Even if you are in big continents like North America you can tell about your City, town etc.

I'll start

I am from Trinidad and Tobago. We are the most Southern islands in the Caribbean. Located abt 7 miles of the NE coast of Venezuela. On a clear day I can see the coastline of Venezuela
    We have a population of abt 1.3 million people....yea only
    People of African, East Indian, European, Chinese ancestry make up the population. Diverse and mixed.
    We were ruled by the British at one point in time and got Independence in 1962 so we basically have/had the British education and Legal system.

Trinidad is the more industrialised one of the two island. Trinidad exports abt 75% of it's LNG (liquefied natural gas) to the USA. Tobago got the nice beaches one would expect of a Caribbean island.

We are known for our friendly, laid back personalities.

If you want to know more you can ask....
    03-22-08 07:52 AM
    Wow after that, where I'm from sounds boring. I'm from central pennsylvania. About 3 hours from the shore/beaches, NYC, pittsburgh (go steelers) and washington dc. I live about 10 min from gettysburg,key moment in the civil war.
    Not much else I can think of...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-08 08:53 AM
    Massillon, Ohio doesn't have a lot either. I do live 5 minutes from the NFL Hall of Fame. 1 hour from Cleveland - Rock & Roll Hall of fame. 20 minutes from Akron - home of Tire factories and the Soap Box Derby.
    03-22-08 09:01 AM
    well, i'm from philadelphia which is located in southern pennsylvania and happens to be where the declaration of independence was signed and its also where the 1st original white house was located @ 5th & Market.

i was born here in the city and their are some lovely area's (where i live now) and their are some area's, well. its called the " city of brotherly love?........"

this city is pretty much, laid back and will not bother you unless you bother us, were die hard sports fan, ok thats it.

i've ran out of good things to say years ago.
    03-22-08 09:50 AM
    Well, I'll be the 3rd Pennsylvanian in this post I'm from Meadville, PA which is in the little "chimney" part of NW Pennsylvania. I'm about 30 minutes from the beaches of Lake Erie.

Meadville is famous for inventing the zipper, Channellock tools and DAD'S Dog Food. Also, George Washington camped here way back in the days LOL

We are also prone to large amounts of lake effect snow Hopefully now that spring is here, the weather will start to act like it!
    03-22-08 10:51 AM
    Also, George Washington camped here way back in the days LOL
    now that was funny
    03-22-08 10:57 AM
    Liverpool, UK.
    Liverpool received the award for European Capital of Culture 2008 and although the city has a bad reputation, it is a great place to be. 'Scousers' are said to be some of the friendliest people in the world (despite their reputation as thieves and criminals) and in Liverpool, you will ask directions and if the person you asked doesn't know, you can bet your dollar somebody else will be there in seconds who overheard your question.

Liverpool has a real feeling of togetherness and when something happens, we all pull together to help out. Examples of this can be found in when Rhys Jones, an 11 year old from Croxteth, Liverpool was shot by accident (the bullet was meant for someone else) last year. The city was devastated and the Jones family received thousands of cards and bouquets of flowers for the site of the murder. Another can be found in a local radio show I listen to between 10pm and 2am; a distressed woman called the show to say her mother had one missing when out shopping in the city center - within 30 minutes, with every taxi driver in the area looking out, she was found. The same can be found when that radio presenter was called by a 13 year old boy planning suicide - the DJ put music on and left the station to talk to the boy in person (3years later he revealed that he was joking - the presenter receives a lot of prank calls).

Great shops, great culture, great people - Liverpool is a great city.
    03-22-08 11:20 AM
    I live in Modesto, CA. We are an hour south of Sacramento & an hour and a half east of San Francisco. Located in the Central Valley, which is home to much agriculture. Population about 250,000.

Modesto is notable for:
    George Lucas' hometown (American Graffiti was about Modesto)
    Headquarters of one of the largest wineries in the world: E&J Gallo
    Hometown of Sonny Barger (founding member of the Hells Angels)
    Carol Channing (Hello, Dolly) now calls Modesto home with her husband

Unfortunately infamous for:
    Hometown of Gary Condit & Chandra Levy (Levy went missing in Washington DC & was later found murdered; affair with congressman Condit revealed)
    Hometown of Scott & Lacy Peterson (Scott murdered Lacy & unborn Conner; RIP Lacy & Conner)

Modesto has been a nice place to raise a family. Still has a small town feel. Everything we need is within a 2 hour drive - shopping, concerts, snow, beaches, etc.
    03-22-08 01:04 PM
    I didn't think of listing infamous stats... lol
    My hometown area:
    James Huberty - the gunman that opened fire at McD's in Cali in '84
    Marilyn Manson - enough said
    Macy Grey - ditto^^
    Jeffrey Dahmer - yeah, that Dahmer
    03-22-08 01:09 PM
    I didn't think of listing infamous stats... lol
    My hometown area:
    James Huberty - the gunman that opened fire at McD's in Cali in '84
    Marilyn Manson - enough said
    Macy Grey - ditto^^
    Jeffrey Dahmer - yeah, that Dahmer
    lol funny
    03-22-08 01:20 PM
    But true.... on the other hand, Dean Martin grew up pretty close too.
    03-22-08 01:22 PM
    I didn't mean to open a murder-stats thing. Liverpool hasn't got a reputation for nothing! Seriously - I was just saying how the city pulled together...
    03-22-08 02:03 PM
    I didn't mean to open a murder-stats thing. Liverpool hasn't got a reputation for nothing! Seriously - I was just saying how the city pulled together...
    It wasn't your post, in fact - yours made me want to go!
    03-22-08 02:05 PM
    Well if murders count philly toped off over 500 for the year and trust me that's not funny. I've seen a lot friends and people kids burried. Funerals are getting common here, no one talk. **** last week one got shot a touris on the *** for being smart

03-22-08 02:14 PM
    It wasn't your post, in fact - yours made me want to go!
    Sorry ... not trying to be morbid or anything. I threw in the infamous part because nobody used to know where in the heck I lived until the Levy & Peterson cases ... then people were like "ohhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhh - I've heard of Modesto ...."

Sad. But true.

I have been to Liverpool & loved it! I have a friend who lives there & I'm going to back some day.
    03-22-08 02:18 PM
    Oh cool - If you come I'll buy you lunch.
    03-22-08 02:20 PM
    That was aimed at Chaz (his was the last post before I clicked POST) but offer's open to you, momto.

In fact - any CB member coming to Liverpool is entitled to a free lunch...
    03-22-08 02:22 PM
    TY Adlen... hopefully be able to take you up on that offer someday.
    03-22-08 02:23 PM
    Well if murders count philly toped off over 500 for the year and trust me that's not funny. I've seen a lot friends and people kids burried. Funerals are getting common here, no one talk. **** last week one got shot a touris on the *** for being smart

Wow - I was in Philly about 5 years ago for a convention & everyone was sooooooooooo friendly & nice. I even walked around downtown by myself.

It isn't funny at all - I'm so sorry to hear it is that bad.
    03-22-08 02:24 PM
    That was aimed at Chaz (his was the last post before I clicked POST) but offer's open to you, momto.

In fact - any CB member coming to Liverpool is entitled to a free lunch...
    Thanks! I'll take you up on that for sure ....
    Maybe a local "chippie"? (Did I say/spell that right?)

I have a book my friend sent me years ago = "Learn Yourself Scouse" ... might have to dig it out & brush up!
    03-22-08 02:28 PM
    1) There's no official spelling and I was thinking of APS - a nice pizza restaurant by the tunnel but if a Chippy is what you want - you got it... there's a nice one on Ranelagh Street...

2) I have the second volume of 'Lern Yerself Scouse'
    03-22-08 02:53 PM
    St. Louis, Missouri here, Famous for the usual

St. Louis Cardinals, That Arch Thingie, Of course Anheuser Busch (Yeah Beer). Our infamous weather haha then

there's the bad stuff, 2nd dangerous city, Meth capital (1,189 labs were seized last year),

and then there's that great big river thing called the Mississippi. But it really is a great place to live and I love it!

Except for August haha
    03-22-08 03:21 PM
    Gee whiz, from the time the first post was made by Solachica and I found it a rather interesting suggestion the conversation sure digressed quickly.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest just west of the city of Portland. I have the Cascade Mountain range as my backyard with the 11,000 foot Mt Hood as the crown jewel featuring year round skiing on the Palmer snow field. The Columbia River is my front yard where we swim, boat, fish, and serving as the gateway to the Paciifc Ocean from the ports of Portland, Oregon. I can drive 1 1/2 hours to the west and arrive at the Oregon Coast which in itself is a magnificent beauty. I commute to the foothills of Mt Hood daily to my office nestled into the dense tree covered vegetation surrounding it. I truly feel lucky to enjoy the natural surroundings while my counterparts in the city endure the rigors of the concrete jungle. While we don't have the historical significance of the East Coast locales aforementioned, as well as our far away friends, we are still struggling with the continuing population explosions that bring with them the economic, social and transportation nightmares. I was born and raised in this region of the world and wouldn't trade it for a thing. Wonderful place to visit............and live.
    03-22-08 03:40 PM
    I was born and raised in a suburb of Chicago, went to college and lived in Indiana for 4 years and now live in Huntington Beach, CA.

:]
    03-22-08 03:55 PM
    Thanks for replying you all
    I was worried no one would reply.

I luv finding out abt new places and cultures and people.

Labman your place sounds lovely. I enjoy scenery and the outdoors.

Do people in US take time to discover their own state and also other states?

And I've seen the scenery of the English countryside and I think its spectacular.

Cities are nice to see but I really enjoy seeing nature at her best.

03-22-08 04:20 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD