09-16-08 10:30 PM
36 12
tools
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    I don't know who's more messed up?

You for writing this or me for understand every flippin' word?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 08:36 PM
    This is one of my pet peeves too. In my world you are judged by your communication skills and attention to detail.
    In that case, your world must be mine...just have to say "your honor" after every other word. :-)

Hi your honor. Thanks your honor. You suck your honor. You're hot your honor. It would be my honor; your honor...and so on.
    09-15-08 11:02 PM
    I belong to another forum where they refer to people like tek and me as Grammer Nazi's. (Anyone here who is a part of the other forum will know...)

I am proud to be a Grammer Nazi, to be honest. I think society is way to lax when it comes to proper English. "It's just a forum" or "this is a social environment and not school" is NO excuse. You don't turn intelligence off and on. If you know how to speak properly and write well then you do it everywhere you are and not "just at school or work". I don't work hard all day writing policies and formal communications just to walk out of the office and talk like a 2nd grader!

We are not talking about "typos" we're talking about actual spelling and grammatical errors that should be common knowledge! Everyone is subject to an error once in a while, but those who really just don't know the difference make me sad.

My biggest pet peeve is the improper use of the word myself. Like this: "Do you want to go to the grocery with Mike and myself?" Ack! If you're going WITH someone you aren't going YOURSELF!!!! I used to work for a guy who did this ALL of the time and it drove me batty!!

All that having been said, please don't crucify me here. I just came to support my fellow linguists and not to hurt feelings or make anyone angry!

Carry on...
    ~P

09-15-08 11:35 PM
    Okay I have to admit this does bother me to no end.

But the thing that annoys me more than anything are people
    who insist upon typing as if their posts are a text messages.
    It's a forum. There is no character count limitation.

And using your when you're is the correct usage
    makes me want to pull out my hair
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-16-08 at 12:57 AM.
    09-16-08 12:53 AM
    I try not to let poor grammar on forums bother me, although sometimes it isn't easy. I think that too much bad grammar at a time would make my head explode.

Granted, I'm certainly not perfect in my use of the English language all the time, and mistakes happen. My problem with it tends to lie when such mistakes are continually repeated, rather than simply being an occasional mistake or typographical error.

The problem of bad grammar is a lot more forgivable if it happens to be on a forum rather than a variety of more important places such as the news, various doccuments at work, and so forth.

There happen to be a lot of things people on forums do that are significantly worse than poor grammar, however, such as typing in all capital letters, apparently not knowing what the "enter" key does and how it assists with things called "paragraphs", and the people who never feel the need to add any punctuation at all.
    09-16-08 01:18 AM
    I don't know who's more messed up?

You for writing this or me for understand every flippin' word?
    I rset my csae.
    09-16-08 06:18 AM
    Have you guys ever noticed the first word in "analytical" is the word "a.nal"???

09-16-08 06:45 AM
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Wow trucky? I can't believe I read that. I will try to add this technique to one of my projects. Lol

09-16-08 01:20 PM
    I belong to another forum where they refer to people like tek and me as Grammer Nazi's. (Anyone here who is a part of the other forum will know...)

I am proud to be a Grammer Nazi, to be honest. I think society is way to lax when it comes to proper English. "It's just a forum" or "this is a social environment and not school" is NO excuse. You don't turn intelligence off and on. If you know how to speak properly and write well then you do it everywhere you are and not "just at school or work". I don't work hard all day writing policies and formal communications just to walk out of the office and talk like a 2nd grader!

We are not talking about "typos" we're talking about actual spelling and grammatical errors that should be common knowledge! Everyone is subject to an error once in a while, but those who really just don't know the difference make me sad.

My biggest pet peeve is the improper use of the word myself. Like this: "Do you want to go to the grocery with Mike and myself?" Ack! If you're going WITH someone you aren't going YOURSELF!!!! I used to work for a guy who did this ALL of the time and it drove me batty!!

All that having been said, please don't crucify me here. I just came to support my fellow linguists and not to hurt feelings or make anyone angry!

Carry on...
    ~P

pashan I quoted you because this sums up what I went threw in college. It began with correct grammar and ended with correct grammar.

I am very disappointed in my educational system. I'm not saying that this a reason, this is something that's embedded in my memory. I avoid reading and writing at all cost, as if it was cancer. Back when I was learning to write, a teacher got frustrated with me cause I stuck at some point. And ever since I felt most of my teachers put me at the back of the class to catch up if I could or they would get to me whenever they could; I'm not positive that's what happen because the first letter of my last name is at the back of the alphabet. Even though I'm a/was a B or C student, I do admit that I learn/get things slower than most. I didn't learn what my problem was until got to college, my teacher was like don't laugh, before she started reading something from the board because I have this. Again I don't read and/or talk much because how I think it makes me look and didn't and couldn't ask her to repeat what she said because I had the same problem(s). But as you can see I can write but I do it cause the more I write the better I get.
    Now, the world has changed and words has changed and don't think that a social forum needs to everything to be formal. The reason I believe that we should read and write correct because if the reader can't read what you wrote then you can not get you point across. So many people think 'idk', 'lol', 'gr8' and and 'str8' is so cute but most people can't read that language, but there's a time and place for it. I will be the last to stop progression.

09-16-08 04:28 PM
    This is one of my pet peeves too. In my world you are judged by your communication skills and attention to detail.

Thankfully in the world of crackberry you're not.
    Last edited by Chicklet; 09-16-08 at 04:43 PM.
    09-16-08 04:40 PM
    Liestarter!

That was a very honest, heart felt, and humbling post!

Thanks for offering it up, I enjoyed reading it.

09-16-08 10:30 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD