Ok so maybe its just me but browsing the forums and just reading what people write out by hand makes me really question our educational systems. I am amazed at the number of people who don't know the difference between 'there their and they're'. That is the biggest one for me. Oh and one I read this morning (see crackberry blog) special *addition* blackberry. Does it do math different than others? Oh...he means edition. Just an observation but I wanted some feedback by you all. And then and than. That gets me too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 11:23 AM
    Okay, I'm sure a lot of these people on here know how to use the proper grammar. But on here they just might not pay it any attention.
    That's just what I think
    09-07-08 11:38 AM
    Yeah. I'm in school and they don't let anything your saying go unchecked. But that's school this is a internet forum. I spell check all my posts and check them for basic errors, but I don't treat my posts like I would a state test or a regents exam.

09-07-08 11:53 AM
    It is a pet peeve of mine too. The fact that you are starting to see more and more "text grammar" in day to day conversations is not helping either.

09-07-08 11:57 AM
    It's quite funny at times, but you just have to let it go. It's there prerogative.
    09-07-08 12:18 PM
    CrackBerry is a community with many different education levels. You can't let it get to you tek. I don't feel it's my place to criticize someone's mistakes -- especially in an informal writing setting. To be honest, I find the writing here, overall, to be quite good. Sometimes we have to overlook grammar and spelling mistakes to get to the underlying meaning, but the advanced thinking that goes on at CrackBerry is a cut above many similar settings -- IMO.

What I do, and you might consider this, too, is to try to write well and set an example. Perhaps someone will see the different there's and learn from my example. It is hard to not make a mistake when using wap -- and I make my share. Don't be so tough on your fellow Crackberrians. If you find you can't help yourself, I'm sure there's a place for you over at the Proper Grammar Today forum.

09-07-08 12:48 PM
    I didn't realize that there was a forum on grammar. That is a little extreme for me, but it seems just as easy to use the correct spelling or usage of a word. I wasn't trying to be hard on anyone, just pointing out what I see day to day and seeing if anyone else notices the same. Typographical errors don't bother me that much and I don't expect each user to post as if they were writing a psych paper for their degree. At any rate, it's nice to see some feedback and know that I'm not the only one who notices these things.

09-07-08 01:09 PM
    And I'm not perfect by any means, I make my fair share of mistakes to. <-- see?

09-07-08 01:11 PM
    To be honest, I think the those who make the most mistakes are the kids. I see many of the same errors when I go over my kid's homework. I'm optimistic that they'll get it sooner or later with guidance. My son actually put an IDK in a paper he wrote about Into the Wild. I'm pretty sure that would have been an instant D if he had turned it in.

09-07-08 01:35 PM
    Eye'm glat thatt eye half gud gramr aand eye kan spel reel gud.

I'm a well educated man (MS in Mechanical Engineering) and I make mistakes all the time. If you can make sense out of what your reading, then it shouldn't bother you too much.
    09-07-08 01:41 PM
    I work with engineers, I could write a book about their writing, . As far as writing is concerned, they're very good at math, lol. But you are correct, 12. This place is informal -- not to be too tough on tek.

09-07-08 02:02 PM
    I work with engineers, I could write a book about their writing, . As far as writing is concerned, they're very good at math, lol. But you are correct, 12. This place is informal -- not to be too tough on tek.

<---- It's all written in "Matrix" code! Lol
    09-07-08 02:15 PM
    To be honest, I think the those who make the most mistakes are the kids. I see many of the same errors when I go over my kid's homework. I'm optimistic that they'll get it sooner or later with guidance. My son actually put an IDK in a paper he wrote about Into the Wild. I'm pretty sure that would have been an instant D if he had turned it in.

On a somewhat related note; In law school my technical writing/presentation professor continuously reminded us that no one should ever start a sentence with the words: "to be honest". This doesn't only apply to the start of a sentence; but it also applies to the placement of the "to be honest" phrase anywhere in a sentence (whether in the beginning, middle or end).

Why? Because that phrase literally implies that every time you don't add that phrase into a sentence...you're lying.
    09-07-08 02:36 PM
    On a somewhat related note; In law school my technical writing/presentation professor continuously reminded us that no one should ever start a sentence with the words: "to be honest". This doesn't only apply to the start of a sentence; but it also applies to the placement of the "to be honest" phrase anywhere in a sentence (whether in the beginning, middle or end).

Why? Because that phrase literally implies that every time you don't add that phrase into a sentence...you're lying.
    I'll never use the phrase again, lol , but to be honest, I can't remember the last time I used it .
    Last edited by exelant; 09-07-08 at 07:07 PM.
    09-07-08 07:03 PM
    Poor grammar in forums does not bother me. It's when you see it on an official company document that it bothers me. My supervisor has the reading, writing, and typing skills of a second grade dropout so I see it all the time.

09-07-08 09:44 PM
    Eye'm glat thatt eye half gud gramr aand eye kan spel reel gud.

I'm a well educated man (MS in Mechanical Engineering) and I make mistakes all the time. If you can make sense out of what your reading, then it shouldn't bother you too much.
    I am a teacher and can decypher anything. The above says "I'm glad that I have good grammar and I can spell real good. I can read upside down too. Having said that, when I see mispellings or impropoper grammatics, I sigh. I let it go though---this is an informal setting. I for one am glad I can just post without regard for perfect anything (I have to worry about that at work all day---no need to worry when I am enjoying myself)! Lighten up!!!!
    09-08-08 01:51 PM
    Yeah. I'm in school and they don't let anything your saying go unchecked. But that's school this is a internet forum. I spell check all my posts and check them for basic errors, but I don't treat my posts like I would a state test or a regents exam.

You missed one....lol

Dm
    09-08-08 01:56 PM
    I'm pretty careful with my spelling and grammar, but it doesn't bother me when other people aren't. I think I'm a little OCD that way. I am a lot less careful when I'm posting from my Berry, though.
    09-08-08 04:30 PM
    sometimes..... I only slam grammar mistakes when they appear in any of our company related materials.
    09-08-08 07:13 PM
    *sigh* i'm down with typos and misspelling words and what not. ish happens.

BUT (and i know its a personal choice, and it stems from early programmer lingo etc etc) BUT that whole "wahs gh00d" and what not grates me to no end sorry
    09-09-08 12:10 AM
    I ugry withyou. Sum ov the grahamors that I red is bad.

But t I gess sum peeples just aint got no good inglish's.
    Last edited by w00dy65; 09-13-08 at 11:10 PM.
    09-13-08 11:06 PM
    I am a teacher and , when I see mispellings or impropoper grammatics, I sigh.
    LMAO...LMAO!!! Classic!

And we wonder what's wrong with education in this country?!? There is just ONE example.

09-14-08 07:48 AM
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    09-15-08 11:35 AM
    The human brain also has the ability to store information (approximately 3 TB), yet some people can't recall something that was hammered into their head through 8+ years of school? Maybe they have a raid array offline
    09-15-08 11:54 AM
    This is one of my pet peeves too. In my world you are judged by your communication skills and attention to detail.

09-15-08 12:01 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD