Us power-users and sudoers, we are served well by other distros...
    Although, the opposite problem is happening with other distros. Case in point, Debian hemorrhaging developers as a result of systemd not being Unix enough or whatever. Personally, I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 01:47 AM
    As with most things in the tech world, it is of course give and take as you point out. Of course I would love to have Linux distros readily available and easy to install for all the mom and pop users out there. Ease of use definitely plays a role into whether people adopt something or not. If they cannot get it off the ground, they will not give it a fair shake.

That said, I worry that Ubuntu may be precariously perched atop the proverbial slippery slope we speak of in technology security. Sure, it is just getting Microsoft and the gang to sign a bootloader today, but tomorrow that community made break through that rubs Microsoft the wrong way gets that signature pulled...or...should I even bother to get the tinfoil out when I say this could lead to other "surprises" being implemented in the future?

Would it be that long of a shot to think that Ubuntu could be the next OpenBSD? I worry it is not that long of a shot.
    Well said. There's not much to add. Slippery slope it is. Greased by the powers that be... ;-)

Ahh, yeah, BSD licences make it easier, they're not really copy-left...
    :-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-02-14 01:48 AM
    Ubuntu and mainly linux have done too many steps in front the last 6-7 years. They also gain more and more people. We just need to wait always it's a step in front the last year's and never back. Who could imagine that linux will be in the place that it is now before some years?

Check my photography www.ctsilart.com
    12-02-14 01:52 AM
    Although, the opposite problem is happening with other distros. Case in point, Debian hemorrhaging developers as a result of systemd not being Unix enough or whatever. Personally, I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, devs are Yet Another Breed... :-)

12-02-14 04:04 AM
    Did you guys ever checked elementary OS? Current version is called Luna but there is a new beta called Freya

Check my photography www.ctsilart.com
    12-02-14 04:12 AM
    I have only used ubuntu -- just getting into Linux.

I want to try pclinuxos and mint. I use both windows, ubuntu and os x now so I'm adaptable.

Which would you guys first out of the two mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 07:37 PM
    Linux Mint Cinnamon although I hate their now installer, screwed up my default dual boot
    Which version did you install... ?

As we speak, new release "Rebecca" 17.1 is out now (29Nov).
    Downloading...

(FWIW, you can always run the bootrepair iso to fix a messed up boot scenario)

12-03-14 09:45 PM
    I have only used ubuntu -- just getting into Linux.

I want to try pclinuxos and mint. I use both windows, ubuntu and os x now so I'm adaptable.

Which would you guys first out of the two mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    Good thing about PCLinuxOS is the fact it's a rolling release, afaik. Install once, update forever...

Only prob, if you miss for too many weeks or even months, things tend to break. Been there, experienced that... :-(

12-03-14 09:48 PM
    Arch Linux with DWM because it's lightweight, fast, and minimalistic.

Posted via CB10
    Arch is a very good, well... very geeky choice imho. :-)

12-03-14 09:50 PM
    Which version did you install... ?

As we speak, new release "Rebecca" 17.1 is out now (29Nov).
    Downloading...

(FWIW, you can always run the bootrepair iso to fix a messed up boot scenario)

Version 17.qiana 64 bit

Ill try the boot repair thanks
    12-05-14 01:21 AM
    Protip: have a backup kernel. Disabled something I shouldn't have when I was building 3.17.something, so I couldn't build 3.18. Luckily, I had the default Debian kernel still around.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 07:36 PM
    Debian testing happy user here! I've decided to get away from Apple products last year and actually sold my last Mac tonight. I'm getting the Passport next week and I hope it'll play well with Debian but all I need is to be able to transfer my music so that shouldn't be difficult. I've always been into Debian because it's so minimalist. I know there's Arch but I don't like the rolling-release philosophy, and I don't like having to reinvent the wheel when installing. I do like tweaking and I can't believe how easy it is with Linux, but the base system is something I want to be provided to me. Of course there are packages I'll never use but honestly I'm already at 20% RAM and hard drive usage so...
    01-14-15 02:30 PM
    Protip: have a backup kernel. Disabled something I shouldn't have when I was building 3.17.something, so I couldn't build 3.18. Luckily, I had the default Debian kernel still around.

Posted via CB10
    Have a dd clone backup

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/media/backupdisk/image_sdX.ddimg

or

ddrescue -v -n -r4 /dev/sdX /media/backupdisk/image_sdX.ddresc
    (with bad sectors)

Saves your bacon! :-)

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    01-14-15 06:39 PM
    How do you restore a dd clone backup, with a live CD?
    01-15-15 09:26 AM
    How do you restore a dd clone backup, with a live CD?
    You simply reverse the two,

if= becomes of=, of= becomes if= (infile =read from, outfile =write to)

or

ddrescue infile outfile logfile

(this is the standard syntax, the logfile is optional, and helps to start where it left off should you lose power or if the HDD becomes disconnected or something, you can add options like -v -n -r4 -f as shown in my post above or further below)

-------

Install ddrescue, even on the live CD: go online, then type on the Terminal / Command line

sudo apt-get install gddrescue
    (on Ubuntu, or get PMagic / Parted Magic or Linux System Rescue CD)

Then just reverse what you've done earlier, after mounting the backup disk in the same spot again (Ubuntu or the Parted Magic filemanager should do it automatically or with a mouse click)

dd if=/media/backupdisk/image_sdX.ddimg of=/dev/sdX

or

ddrescue -v -n -r4 -f /media/backupdisk/image_sdX.ddresc /dev/sdX

(the -f option is important, if forces the overwrite of the partion, otherwise it will fail with an error, telling you to use --force which is the same)

----------------

You can use ddrescue also with logfile, one line:

ddrescue -v -n -r4 -f /media/backupdisk/image_sdX.ddresc /dev/sdX /path/to/logfile

Where the path to the logfile could be /media/backupdisk/sdX_ddresc.log or /media/backupdisk/sdX_ddresc_restore.log

DO ALWAYS check your order of infile and outfile, especially when using -f, you could overwrite and kill your VALUABLE data with useless junk, an unfinished or unrelated backup or another device/partition !!!!

(Yes, I've done it... :-( ...ouch!)

To overwrite a hard disk with zeros you could do for example (even though shred and wipe are better)

ddrescue -v -f /dev/zero /dev/sdX /zeronuke.log

-------

sdX stands for an entire hard disk device like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb

OR

a single partition on that device, if it has a numbering such as /dev/sda1

Hope that helps... :-)

�   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 01-18-15 at 02:37 PM.
    01-18-15 01:59 PM
    You can verify a backup - if you haven't mounted and written to the partition or hard disk at any stage in the meantime - using diff

diff -s infile outfile

Example

diff -s /dev/sda /media/usb-backup/SDA-backup.ddresc

Or simply append it if you're lazy at the end of the clone or restore command using && (simplified syntax example):

ddrescue infile outfile logfile && diff -s infile outfile

-----------

If you want to dig even deeper, also learn how to use

kpartx

and the loop device mount.
    sudo kpartx -l /path/to/clonecopy-file.ddresc
    sudo partx -a /path/to/clonecopy-file.ddresc
    sudo fdisk -l

kpartx allows you to mount a single partition out of a whole hard disk dd/ddrescue clone. Mount the right partition, whatever fdisk -l (lowercase L) gives you, can be tricky to spot, that what is given under /dev/mapper/loopXpY or similar

where X and Y are numbers, example

sudo mount -o loop /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /media/mountfolder

If it was Windows / NTFS, you might need to use:

sudo mount -t ntfs -o loop /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /media/mountfolder

You can also add -o ro if you want to make sure the clone copy mounted remains write-protected / read-only.

Create the mount folder using (if it doesn't exist)

mkdir /media/mountfolder

------

Be careful if it's a GPT partition or GPT partitioned hard disk, often the case with Windows 8 computers and UEFI/Secure Boot, fdisk -l will tell you. You might need to use sgdisk -p /dev/sdX (sda for first hard disk) to get individual partitions listed. Do NOT do a direct clone onto another hard disk directly when using GPT, like so

ddrescue -v -n -r4 -f /dev/sda /dev/sdb /media/usbstick/ddresc.logfile

If you do, shutdown and UNPLUG the usb hard disk or disconnect the S-ATA cord. Booting with two hard disks with the same GPT identifiers connected will seriously mess up your system...

Yes... did I mention most of the commands above are to be run as admin, so put sudo in front or log in (not recommended) using sudo su

Linux is fun... :-)

�   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 01-18-15 at 02:43 PM.
    01-18-15 02:23 PM
    I've been using Fedora for some years now, mostly with the Lxde but on my most recent install changed to Xfce.
    I started on a mix of Redhat and SuSE, then just SuSE, then dropped SuSE after their acquisition by Novell and climbing into bed with Microsoft (for which I'm sure there were good business reasons for, but I just didn't like the taste), tried out Debian and Ubuntu but didn't really get on with them, so I ended up on Fedora again (basically the community version of Redhat). I guess I'm a creature of comfort, but it works for me.
    01-18-15 03:23 PM
    Arch + KDE. I see no reason to use anything else! Software is always up to date and the AUR is a joy.
    01-27-15 04:29 PM
    Kubuntu - This is a temporary distro as my main distro (fedora) decided to break on me.

Probably switching to opensuse or back to fedora.

Posted via the best phone evarrrrrr!
    01-28-15 04:33 AM
    My laptop is set two dual Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:26 PM
    Mint cinnamon cuz ease of use
    01-28-15 10:43 PM
    openSUSE because YaST.

Fedora = Redhat = some bigger customers are NSA, CIA, FBIA and others letters

openSUSE = SUSE = has European origin and use AppArmor instead of SELinux (created by NSA).
    01-30-15 04:59 AM
    openSUSE because YaST. Fedora = Redhat = some bigger customers are NSA, CIA, FBIA and others letters openSUSE = SUSE = has European origin and use AppArmor instead of SELinux (created by NSA).
    SUSE was great and very polupar (at least in Europe) when it was S.u.S.E., fifteen years ago. Then it began to caricature himself. Now it's just bloatware. And YaST is one of the major reasons why I don't use openSUSE anymore.
    baarn likes this.
    01-30-15 05:31 AM
    SUSE was great and very polupar (at least in Europe) when it was S.u.S.E., fifteen years ago. Then it began to caricature himself. Now it's just bloatware. And YaST is one of the major reasons why I don't use openSUSE anymore.
    Interesting. Guess I'm not missing anything then.
    01-30-15 05:37 AM
    I've tried getting a few on Linux. The issue is they all want things in messengers etc. to work like they work in windows. Linux versions seem to lack the fun stuff. This was a few years ago. Things like yahoo messenger audibles, msn winks and the like.
    01-30-15 06:45 AM
103 12345