Hi all linux users.

My question is has linux, any flavor, got any easier/user friendly to use yet. Last I tried were several flavors probably a year ago or so. I think Ubuntu was up to version 10 maybe.

Even though more user friendly I found it still difficult to do some tasks, get all of your hardware working without having to use a device wrapper or whatever it was called, my lappy was shutting down due to overheating until I jumped thru several hoops to find the right chipset driver for it, things like games and IM clients were lacking in UI and function like windows live winks etc.

How much have things advanced?

I found it usable but difficult for myself let alone for someone who knows even less than I do, started with dos and have installed system, assembled systems, supported users and businesses. Also people I know told me no winks in windows live, I want my winks lol. Also they said the games seem so atari like.
    sputneek likes this.
    07-07-12 02:25 PM
    I currently have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed on an Acer Netbook.

The good:
    Set up was painless.

No driver issues at all. Everything setup right from the start.

System boots up in one (1) minute or less.

Software Center (App store.) Tons of free software for just about anything
    you need to get done.

Heads Up Display (HUD) makes navigating the system a breeze.

Ubuntu One (Personal Cloud service) works very well.

Small footprint and less resource intensive than Win7.

WiFi seems to have stronger signal than on Win7 (no idea why)

The bad:
    Unity Desktop (default since 11.04) is a total trainwreck. Fortunately you can
    still log in to Gnome in 3 different configurations.

There are odd freezes that require a total shutdown and restart.

I don't do a lot of gaming but that may be due to the fact that most look
    and play like crap.

I have yet to find a decent stand-alone Twitter client.

The ugly:
    Terminal - I despise this thing. If I wanted to do command line I'd go down in
    the basement, drag out my Delta Gold 8088, pop in the 5.25 floppies and boot
    into MS-DOS 3.2

Installing applications, themes, etc is a not all that intuitive mess.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-07-12 at 03:56 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-07-12 03:52 PM
    Thanks AG. For a few years now I have been thinking about getting my family and friends that are too cheap to buy a new computer on linux to help them but they always find things they don't like, like the windows live winks they don't want to do without. And none of them know any more than how to use the browser or their programs.

I guess when xp is no longer supported they'll have to keep using it or spend some cash lol.
    07-07-12 04:10 PM
    Actually, and this may seem odd, but I find people with not a lot of experience
    with PCs generally do quite well in a Linux environment if the basics are setup
    for them in advance.

I have a couple of friends and relatives that I setup on either Ubuntu or Fedora
    and after installing an office suite (Libre), a video player (VLC) a music player (Exaile),
    browser (Firefox and Chrome) a real file manager (XFe) and a few other things
    they really have no issues.

As an added bonus since they have no idea how to login as a super user (root)
    I spend much less time on their latest "end of the worlds"
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-12 04:32 PM
    LOL that can be true. I guess there would be no reason for them to update the kernel when there is one, that seemed to break some things when I would. Getting them setup is going to require some work on my part if I did to get myself more up to speed with linux now.

Will be up to them again if they can do without their winks and games etc. Now that I think about it, it is almost the same kind of thing RIM is facing now...... .it doesn't have the same apps!
    07-07-12 04:47 PM
    The last time I used Linux was Ubuntu 6.10 and found it pretty bad on the battery life. The powermanagement didn't kick in and I failed to get it to work. Now using IBMs version and that works at least so happy with that.

What about OpenSUSE? That might be good?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-07-12 04:55 PM
    Yeah, same here. I actually installed Ubuntu 3 times because I broke something.
    I really all comes down to knowing what you are installing. I will never use that
    Compiz Manager.

One thing I have noticed with Ubuntu is that there seems to be a lot of updates.
    Most of the time these are no big deal but about 40% of the time they exceed
    250mb so a good connection is important. I guess at some point I should really
    start looking at the details of these things
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-07-12 04:59 PM
    The last time I used Linux was Ubuntu 6.10 and found it pretty bad on the battery life. The powermanagement didn't kick in and I failed to get it to work. Now using IBMs version and that works at least so happy with that.

What about OpenSUSE? That might be good?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    I also tried OpenSUSE, Mint, Vector, PCLinuxOS and I forget the others. Never wanted to use any of them any longer than a couple weeks to a month though. I keep hoping it will get to where I want to use it.
    07-07-12 05:07 PM
    Both of you should give Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a try.

It is wicked easy to install. You can do this from a Windows desktop. When done
    your computer will present you with a dual boot after the BIOS check and
    you can go from there.

If for any reason you don't like it you can uninstall it from within the Windows
    via Control Panel or the Ubuntu Installer

Use the WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer) and it is a piece of cake.
    07-07-12 05:23 PM
    Both of you should give Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a try.

It is wicked easy to install. You can do this from a Windows desktop. When done
    your computer will present you with a dual boot after the BIOS check and
    you can go from there.

If for any reason you don't like it you can uninstall it from within the Windows
    via Control Panel or the Ubuntu Installer

Use the WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer) and it is a piece of cake.
    I might give it a try again. I had all of my attempts dual booting with win which wasn't easy to get working with win 7 on some flavors if I remember right.
    07-07-12 05:30 PM
    If you do and you run into issues let me know. I may not be able to help
    with everything but I can provide comic relief
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-07-12 05:42 PM
    I'm posting here from openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.8.2. I also have the Gnome 3 and XFCE desktops installed.

I'm running Fedora 17 on another box.

My suggestion is to avoid Fedora if you are new to Linux. Fedora tends to be one of the most "bleeding-edge" distros, so finding drivers for peripherals might be an issue. I've been using Linux for awhile now, so it's no big deal to me, but it could be a PITA for a new user.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-12-12 11:39 PM
    Fedora ime also didn't have very good driver support (which is a HUGE problem when your shizzy apartment disabled ethernet and just put in wireless cuz they don't want to rewire anything).
    I like Linux Mint (or did until they got rid of MGSE), but I'm running gnome3 on it so it's essentiall ubuntu at this point.
    Don't play computer games (don't have time) so can't give any advice there. I do think gnome 3 is more user friendly than windows (although most people already know how to use windows) and more visually appealing.

I'm gonna have to disagree with AG tho - I love that fugly terminal, half the stuff I do on linux is from there.
    07-15-12 01:35 AM
    Been using Ubuntu myself since 7.04 came out. Fast, speedy, compatible. Now I'm experimenting with different window managers such as fluxbox, icewm, sawfish and a few others. Enlightenment is buggy and WILL "svg" when the Accessories menu is used. Svg=crash. That's my only gripe.

Sawfish, however, is themeable, fluxbox also is, including icewm. I love the fact that once a terminal is launched, you just run gnome-panel and get a complete fully baked shell within a shell. Gnome shell won't work that way. Openbox and a few other window managers will load completely blank due to some form of a conflict. Do NOT, I mean, do NOT use Matchbox. That won't even allow you to close any program, or shutdown/restart your computer, removing it will even leave errors in just about every configuration file you've got, even if you choose to remove it completely.

Before diving into the window manager game, be sure to install synaptic and gnome-panel (same as gnome-fallback), including gnome shell. Those rock. Ubuntu is by far, the most wifi compatible. Though some won't work correctly. Best thing, try mint 12 or 13 until things are more smooth.
    07-24-12 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD