Link sucks so bad...I'm going to Android where they have the much better desktop sync and device backup client called...oh wait...

Need a paid 3rd party app to back up device data and settings and a separate 3rd party desktop client for Outlook sync. Enjoy cloud sync of calendar/contacts if you use Google.

You know as much as I foam at the mouth with disdain for Apple, the DIY-style attitude of Android coupled with the manufacturer-mandated sub-OS unless you want to start fresh with plain Droid Nexus (which I learned literally means PLAIN) for lotsa $$$, coupled with the rampant security issues, tip it just enough in Apple's favor if something should happen to BBRY.

Moral: Next time you complain about Link, give BlackBerry a bit of benefit and time as we have always had it great with BDM since the start.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    Last edited by STV0726; 08-12-13 at 11:43 AM.
    08-12-13 11:29 AM
    Link sucks so bad.

I'm going to Android where they have the much better desktop sync and device backup client called...oh wait...

None?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 11:37 AM
    None?

Posted via CB10
    Oh there are some, but it is all third party and do-it-yourself unless you use Google only, which then it supports cloud sync of calendar, contacts, etc.

But no built-in or officially available, native way to sync to a desktop or more importantly, back up your phone. With Android this is so important too since it is so darn customizable. I would hate to have to redo everything unless I want to pay for multiple third party apps.

08-12-13 11:45 AM
    Nice post! and oh so very true

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-13-13 12:12 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't fix Link by next month, I quit...I'm going to get a flip phone. I don't care if 10.2 has extra features and voice command will be better. I don't care about the cool new lock screen with messages.

Post via CB Z10
    08-13-13 12:31 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't fix Link by next month, I quit...I'm going to get a flip phone. I don't care if 10.2 has extra features and voice command will be better. I don't care about the cool new lock screen with messages.

Post via CB Z10
    And you'll go to iOS with iTunes, right? Cuz Android doesn't have an equivalent unless you want to DIY.

08-13-13 02:41 AM
    I don't even use link :/

I like a combination of titanium backup and clockworkmod recovery for android. but I guess that's classified as DIY........
    08-13-13 03:21 AM
    Link works fine, but like everything, requires common sense
    08-18-13 07:11 PM
    Android has 2 free apps that back up your device right to your device.....

CWM and TWRP.

Those are all you need.

Q10
    08-18-13 07:13 PM
    I don't even use link :/

I like a combination of titanium backup and clockworkmod recovery for android. but I guess that's classified as DIY........
    Best solution for me... Titanium backup is phenomenal.

Couple of Nandroids on device, in the cloud and on laptop.
    08-18-13 07:21 PM
    Android has 2 free apps that back up your device right to your device.....

CWM and TWRP.

Those are all you need.

Q10
    But neither of them are unified, official apps. They are 3rd party, sometimes DIY-type solutions. Blah!

08-19-13 04:25 AM
    But neither of them are unified, official apps. They are 3rd party, sometimes DIY-type solutions. Blah!

But they work, unlike Link. Worst POS software ever released.
    08-19-13 04:30 AM
    But they work, unlike Link. Worst POS software ever released.
    I miss BDM.

Rowan M likes this.
    08-19-13 05:12 AM
    Depending on your phone, you may have all kinds of hoops to jump through just to install the software necessary for a back up on android....this being said...I have no issues with link and have had several leaked os on my phone...you need to stop thinking android and start thinking logically

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:16 PM
    I would absolutely hate tethering to desktop software to backup.
    08-19-13 02:33 PM
    And you'll go to iOS with iTunes, right? Cuz Android doesn't have an equivalent unless you want to DIY.

Precisely.

Post via CB Z10
    08-19-13 04:00 PM

Who cares if they're not official. Official isn't always better... I'd rather have a full back-up stored on my sd card than a non reliant back-up on a pc.

And I'm not even trying to bash link. I just think it's funny how BlackBerry fanboys try to bash android like it's total crap. It's a good os Imo. I just like BlackBerry and that's why I use a Q10 and leave the nexus at home.

Q10
    08-19-13 06:30 PM

cwm and twrp are third party apps bit the nandroid process is contained on each and every android device. the nandroid is NOT tbird party.
    08-19-13 07:43 PM
    Who cares if they're not official. Official isn't always better... I'd rather have a full back-up stored on my sd card than a non reliant back-up on a pc.

And I'm not even trying to bash link. I just think it's funny how BlackBerry fanboys try to bash android like it's total crap. It's a good os Imo. I just like BlackBerry and that's why I use a Q10 and leave the nexus at home.

Q10
    I am undoubtedly and self-admitedly a BlackBerry fan, but I don't bash Android as a whole. I heavily criticize it for its DIY-like elements, insecurity, performance issues despite the elitist spec culture that goes with it, but most importantly: Google owning it.

Other than that, and of course the convolution of the GUI due to each manufacturer being allowed to not only install mandatory bloat apps but also their own sub-OS GUI into it, Android has potential.

08-19-13 08:21 PM
    I would absolutely hate tethering to desktop software to backup.
    I'm with you on that one. though, there's always wireless sync.

Other than that, and of course the convolution of the GUI due to each manufacturer being allowed to not only install mandatory bloat apps but also their own sub-OS GUI into it, Android has potential.

that's easily rectified though. IMO the fun in android is you can basically make it your own and swap out roms daily if you wanted. I just wish they (manufacturers) weren't so obsessed with getting bigger and bigger.

how did this turn into a discussion about android? LOL
    08-19-13 09:41 PM
    I'm with you on that one. though, there's always wireless sync.

that's easily rectified though. IMO the fun in android is you can basically make it your own and swap out roms daily if you wanted. I just wish they (manufacturers) weren't so obsessed with getting bigger and bigger.

how did this turn into a discussion about android? LOL
    BlackBerry 10 and iOS have the beauty of no bloat, and no Do-It-Yourself required. They are beautiful right out of the box.

Android has the beauty of being extremely customizable, along the lines of Linux. My issue is I cannot seem to get a clear answer on if all these customizations, up to and including modified ROM and GUI elements can be backed up and restored in their entirety. Beyond that, it frustrates the heck out of me that Google can't spend the R&D to cook up an app (or even a Web app) to backup everything and I mean everything, not just cloud sync for personal files! Why can't they have a solution for this like BlackBerry always has and iPhone always had?!

Note: By back up everything I literally mean everything. Take a factory defaults device and restore it, making it look exactly like my old device.

08-19-13 10:27 PM
    Not sure what the OP is on about, but I agree BlackBerry Link sucks.

On my Androids, I use Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP). I use quick boot to boot into my recovery, which is TWRP, in the matter of a couple of taps. Once inside of TWRP, I can create full backups of my entire device. Including which level of Angry Birds or Candy Crush I am on and every last message I had received at that point.

I can then upload my newly made back up to drop box or any other file hosting service and I can retrieve the back up whenever I need it. To restore, I simply boot back into TWRP, select my back up and restore it. The process is amazing.

So yes, I agree, BlackBerry Link sucks. It is bloatware that has no business existing. BlackBerry should try to catch up to Android, if you need a USB cable and a PC to do something as simple as a backup or a restore, than your platform is behind the times.

Not sure what point the OP was trying to make, but I thinks he don't realize how Android devices can be made to work PC free.
    08-19-13 10:53 PM
    BlackBerry 10 and iOS have the beauty of no bloat, and no Do-It-Yourself required. They are beautiful right out of the box.

Android has the beauty of being extremely customizable, along the lines of Linux. My issue is I cannot seem to get a clear answer on if all these customizations, up to and including modified ROM and GUI elements can be backed up and restored in their entirety. Beyond that, it frustrates the heck out of me that Google can't spend the R&D to cook up an app (or even a Web app) to backup everything and I mean everything, not just cloud sync for personal files! Why can't they have a solution for this like BlackBerry always has and iPhone always had?!

Note: By back up everything I literally mean everything. Take a factory defaults device and restore it, making it look exactly like my old device.

I consider Link and iTunes to be bloatware, but I agree with your overall point that for the average consumer, a simple option for backups directly from Google could be beneficial.

On the other hand, if third-party options are better, why should Google bother? Titanium Backup, for example, is great. TWRP is as fluid as it gets. Having a backup on me at all times is priceless. No other device or software needed.
    Saiga likes this.
    08-19-13 10:54 PM
    I don't think the Link interface is good AT ALL. Like they tried to create the flow and feel of BlackBerry 10 in a Windows app and fell on their face. BlackBerry Desktop Manager was quite nice looking by contrast.

Hey BlackBerry here's an idea. Scrap the Link interface and replace it with BlackBerry Desktop Manager "10" or whatever.

Other than appearance though I have no issues in how Link works. I back up and sync with no issues. However a lot of you all are using lots of other features I don't.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1047
    08-19-13 11:55 PM
    ...Android devices can be made to work...
    Nope, I realize that perfectly well. In fact, that was my entire point.

08-20-13 11:37 AM