OK here is the idea... we are a huge group and we all have things we do that can probably help others save some money, be more efficient, or just do things a little bit better. That is what this thread is about.

Please share your favorite tips, tricks, domestic hacks and most of all have fun.

I will start with three (3) of mine.

Life tip #1: Are you tired of buying carbonated beverages only to have them go completely flat before you even finished half the do this:

Life tips (don't want to get in trouble with another site) Post your-wp_20150829_003-1-.jpg

When you buy a carbonated beverage in a plastic bottle (size does not matter) put it in the fridge to let it get cold (this is important). Once it is, after every time you pour from the bottle, squeeze the liquid as close to the top as you can. This will eliminate air and therefore preserve the carbonation. No more wasting money because you threw out half a bottle of soda.

Note: If the bottle is warm when you do the "squeeze" it will return to the original shape and none of this will matter.

Try it and post your results. I kept a bottle of Ginger Ale fizzy for over two weeks doing this.
    sam81 likes this.
    08-29-15 03:06 PM
    Life tip #2:

Want a little extra cash at the end of the year do this:

Each week set aside a dollar amount equal to that week number. For instance on 1 January (1st week) put up one dollar, the next $2, the next $3 and at the last week $52. When you are done you will have saved $1378.000. My wife and I do this and whether it is our vacation or Christmas / Hanukkah gifts, we are covered.
    sam81 likes this.
    08-29-15 03:12 PM
    Life tip #3

Stop buying stuff you don't need.

How many of you cook and cover your dish with foil? How many of you also buy scouring pads to clean the dish you cooked in and covered with that foil?

Here is your tip. Cook the way you do but please stop buying Brillo and the like. When it is time to clean, ball up that foil that covered your dish, add a drop or two of detergent and use the foil to clean up. Works great on cast iron, pyrex and just about anything other than teflon and ceramic. Then again, if stuff is sticking to your teflon and ceramic, maybe THOSE things are the problem.
    sam81 likes this.
    08-29-15 03:16 PM
    Life tip #2:

Want a little extra cash at the end of the year do this:

Each week set aside a dollar amount equal to that week number. For instance on 1 January (1st week) put up one dollar, the next $2, the next $3 and at the last week $52. When you are done you will have saved $1378.000. My wife and I do this and whether it is our vacation or Christmas / Hanukkah gifts, we are covered.
    This seems like work. I would never be able to stick with that. Would be easier to setup fixed transfers with the bank. Hands free, no forgetting, no skipping weeks, exact amounts...

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 04:39 PM
    Life tip #3

Stop buying stuff you don't need.

How many of you cook and cover your dish with foil? How many of you also buy scouring pads to clean the dish you cooked in and covered with that foil?

Here is your tip. Cook the way you do but please stop buying Brillo and the like. When it is time to clean, ball up that foil that covered your dish, add a drop or two of detergent and use the foil to clean up. Works great on cast iron, pyrex and just about anything other than teflon and ceramic. Then again, if stuff is sticking to your teflon and ceramic, maybe THOSE things are the problem.
    Tried this before. Never works well. Always leaves some residue. Cheers though

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 05:18 PM
    This seems like work. I would never be able to stick with that. Would be easier to setup fixed transfers with the bank. Hands free, no forgetting, no skipping weeks, exact amounts...
    Does not matter how you do it, the principle is the same. The point is to get people saving a bit for vacations, rainy days, etc...
    sam81 likes this.
    08-29-15 08:40 PM
    Tried this before. Never works well. Always leaves some residue. Cheers though

This is one of those "mileage may vary" things I guess. For me and everyone I know (including my 80 year old mother who thought I lost my whole entire mind) it works flawlessly.
    08-29-15 08:42 PM
    When putting your left overs in the fridge or freezer...
    Take saran wrap and lay over the bowl... then press it down onto the food until all areas are are against the wrap. The remaining wrap that is above the bowl line, lay it to the outside of the bowl, and you can then put the lid on.
    Works excellent with guacamole dip in the fridge section ( though will only last another day or so).
    amazinglygraceless and sam81 like this.
    08-29-15 10:59 PM