Is the existence of the human better today than in the past? I am not talking about the political usage of this question nor the year-to-year debates on 31 December when we reflect on a new year to come. Rather, is our present today better when compared with life say 100 years ago or even 500 years ago?

If you think life is better, why? If you think life is not better, why not?
    05-14-09 05:17 PM
    It's hard to say whether our present day is "better" than those of the past because I haven't lived in those times.

No matter what is told to me, I always think that history is how the person/book is portraying it.

So who knows...
    05-14-09 07:00 PM
    I think its a matter of opinion. Define better: easier? Much. Better in the sense of accomplishment? No. Things are easier in that we don't have as hard a time washing or gettingl clothes. Getting stoned is no longer life-threatening. You can get a burger for $1 if you're hungry.

But instead of hunting with Junior out of necessity, we do it 1 weekend a year out of pleasure. We don't farm. We're too much into multi-tasking and then taking on projects that fill up the newly-acquired time. Is bonding and family important? Nothing does that like providing for them by farming, gathering, hunting, or at least working with them.

So I'd say if you do it right, use technology to get home faster to play with the family, hang with friends, and relax, yes. Its better.

But if you're at the office from 6 am - 10 pm, your kids yell Stranger Danger!! every weekend, and you miss a whole lot of firsts.... No, its not better. Only different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 02:57 PM
    I think that the mystery and joy of simply existing is gone.
    Yes, we're healthier (or at least know how to stay healthy), infant mortality is as close to nonexistant as we can probably ever get, and we have the most amazing treatments and medicines. Someone who would have, 100 years ago, been in a mental institution their whole life, now takes a daily little pill and lives a normal life and nobody knows the difference.
    However, I think that life is more boring. Or, we're breeding generations of seriously bored people. Why? Things are too easy. You can live your life without ever an honest day's work, and unlike the thieves of the past who actually had to work to steal, now we get to sit home and have the government do the stealing for us, and issue us a check each week because we had sex without a condom and made an unappreciated baby, or don't want to work, or sprained our ankle and got a doctor to say we're disabled. Oh, or we went from our country of birth to this "wonderful" country that takes from its own people to give handouts for no reason to our kind.

But really, we have so many people that go nuts during a 3-hour power outage.
    We've become so lazy. And priviliged. And not really any better. I don't feel life holds as much excitement as it once did.

I think I would have preferred living a hundred years ago.
    However, I'd probably not have lived very long. . Asthma, cancer, and anxiety would have seen an end to me.

05-17-09 03:26 PM
    I think it is much better to live in the present time than 100 or 500 years ago.. I mean, you can pretty much be the person YOU want to be. Back then, if your dad was a farmer, you were a farmer. If you were a female, all you had to look forward to was being a housewife and having kids. What kinda life is that? And it was too easy to die back then too. Getting the flu or some minor disease was not so minor 100 years ago. Also, people are welcomed to think for themselves nowadays. 100 years ago and especially 500 years ago, if you weren't a certain religion, you were either ostracized or worse. I, personally love the idea of freedom FROM religion. But overall, life is much better, in my opinion.

06-01-09 03:58 PM
    I think its a matter of opinion. Define better: easier? Much. Better in the sense of accomplishment? No. Things are easier in that we don't have as hard a time washing or gettingl clothes. Getting stoned is no longer life-threatening. You can get a burger for $1 if you're hungry.

But instead of hunting with Junior out of necessity, we do it 1 weekend a year out of pleasure. We don't farm. We're too much into multi-tasking and then taking on projects that fill up the newly-acquired time. Is bonding and family important? Nothing does that like providing for them by farming, gathering, hunting, or at least working with them.

So I'd say if you do it right, use technology to get home faster to play with the family, hang with friends, and relax, yes. Its better.

But if you're at the office from 6 am - 10 pm, your kids yell Stranger Danger!! every weekend, and you miss a whole lot of firsts.... No, its not better. Only different.

I AGREE! I mean I stay at home with my son and he is my life while his father works and they rarely get to bond!

06-01-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD