I would like to learn to speak Deutsch. Whomever has learned it as a second language to English; was it difficult? How long did it take until you could speak to someone in Deutsch only?

Double typed without the help of AutoCorrect. Q10, 10.2.1.2174
    07-04-14 03:24 PM
    Yes
    Not long
    And yes
    07-04-14 03:27 PM
    A lot of words are very similar due to common Germanic roots. If you want a huge useful vocabulary, start with those.

shovel = Schaufel
    hut = Htte
    good = gut
    new = neu
    etc.

The most puzzling and difficult thing for English native speakers is probably the flexion of verb endings and the cases of nouns (nominative, accusative, etc.). That also enables the language to have a flexible sentence structure, unlike English.

Ich spiele Fuball.

Fuball spiele ich.

Same meaning, but different stress. The first one is a normal statement, the second is more like an answer, so you wanna make sure the other person clearly understands what you are playing (as a reply to a question like "Was spielst du gerade?").

Hope that helps.

Pasted via CB chen
    07-05-14 06:52 AM
    A lot of words are very similar due to common Germanic roots. If you want a huge useful vocabulary, start with those.

shovel = Schaufel
    hut = Huette
    good = gut
    new = neu
    etc.

The most puzzling and difficult thing for English native speakers is probably the flexion of verb endings and the cases of nouns (nominative, accusative, etc.). That also enables the language to have a flexible sentence structure, unlike English.

Ich spiele Fussball.

Fussball spiele ich.

Same meaning, but different stress. The first one is a normal statement, the second is more like an answer, so you wanna make sure the other person clearly understands what you are playing (as a reply to a question like "Was spielst du gerade?").

Hope that helps.

(CB app garbles anything with special characters like the German sharp S, can be substituted with double s, see above (Fussball) nothing to do with the Nazi SS, please, or Umlauts, the a / u / o with the two dots, can be substituted using ae / ue / oe when using an English keyboard, example Huette)

Pasted via CB chen
    07-05-14 06:55 AM
    They would do a better job spelling the German soccer coach like that:

Joachim Loew

instead of "Low"

(just ignoring the funny two Umlaut dots, Turkish has them too, like Oezil, but can't use them because of CB app bug)

Pasted via CB chen
    07-05-14 07:02 AM
    shovel = Schaufel
    hut = Htte
    good = gut
    new = neu
    Rathaus = rat house
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-05-14 08:22 AM
    Rathaus = rat house

Ausgezeichnete beobachtung!
    07-05-14 08:26 AM
    Mark Twain wrote a beautiful essay about learning Deutsch. (And I think he solved this problem.) This text is an appendix of his journey through Europe. Read this, and if you then still want you should indeed start.

And learn early to love words like "Rindfleischetikettierungsberwachungsaufgabenber tragungsgesetz" (not a fake).
    07-05-14 08:36 AM
    Don't forget the most important word "brandy". Yes I no its french but it's right next door?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:03 AM
    Don't forget the most important word "brandy". Yes I no its french but it's right next door?
    Only in geographics. French language is a romanic language like Italian and Spanish, not a germanic one like German, English, Dutch, Swedish ... A German and a Frenchman will not better understand each other than an Englishman and a Frenchman.

In German we know the word "Brand" which means
    1. a burning fire,
    2. any kind of destilled alcoholics

which can be based on
    • wine ("Weinbrand"),
    • grain ("Kornbrand", "Korn", double destilled: "Doppelkorn"),
    • fruit ("Obstbrand", made from cherry, plum, apricot, apple, pear, ...)
    • potatoes (Vodka).

"Brand" has an inofficial 3rd meaning: thirst, especially thirst after you have been drunken last night, then you wake up in the morning and your gorge burns, you have "Brand".

On the other hand I'm not in doubt about the word "brandy" which is used for instance in France and Spain is imported from English.
    07-05-14 10:59 AM
    I was thinkin more along the simple lines of "get a glass and fill it and then drink it"

However for the purpose of pedantry accuracy think more...............mmmmm...

Get a bucket
    Get a jug
    Get two jugs
    Get a sweaty wellie (for the mericans us inglish call a welly a wellie)
    Get a 15 gallon drum

I think that's it?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 12:34 PM