is your company doing layoffs??

my company was doing them yesterday and it is making for a very stressful environment. i am about 98% sure my job is secure but you never know. right now they are focusing on non-revenue generating positions to cut first and then from there i think they are headed for underperformers.

first time in our company's history for layoffs - our company started in 1957...
    11-07-08 09:38 AM
    My company's budget got cut and they are letting people go slowly. I know of 2 people that have been let go so far. My job is secure until the next fiscal year and I should find out by March if I will be here any longer than that. I'm lucky to work in the place that I do because there are always jobs-a-plenty and they like to hire people that have experience working for the government rather than an outsider. But it's still very stressful!
    11-07-08 03:50 PM
    Sorry to hear about both your situations. I wish you both the best
    11-07-08 03:57 PM
    My plant is one of the few in our industry that is still making money and one of two in our company so we SHOULD be good. I was always told to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 10:38 PM
    Wife's losing her's Jan. 15 the company is closing the doors here
    11-07-08 11:55 PM
    I work at a General Motors Dealership. We are starting the cut backs here. I am in finance 100% commission so no salary but i cant afford to work here much longer. We cant get half the people approved and auto sales are just in the TUBES...I dont know what i will do but gotta do something.
    11-08-08 08:41 AM
    My company in the corporate realm has done some cutbacks with help.. Such as the HR, Billing and Payroll depts.

Other than that the only migrations locally was my boss and 3 contract drivers were canned about a month and a half ago. Nothing like people causing s**t. But due to winter months coming up and work slowing down one or two more contractors might get canned as they work directly for the terminal I'm at.
    11-08-08 12:11 PM
    I was a Mechanical Engineer at TECT Aerospace. I got laid off in September because there was a huge strike at Boeing which caused a 70% drop in production. Because of this and the economy, there was a MASSIVE layoff! The manufacturing departments suffered the worst but there were some layoffs in engineering and upper management as well (me being one of the victims of the corporate guillotine). Over all, TECT let 60% of their employees go.

There was no warning either. I was dragged into HR by the company's CEO (aka:useless bag o' s**t) and told that that was my last day. I argued and said "My annual production rate is 240%. Why would you let someone go who's production is that high?" They then told me "It's not your performance level, it's the fact that times are hard right now and you make a very high salary."

It's ok though. I have almost a year's wages in savings and I'm starting a new job as "Special Projects Manager" over at a rival company in February.
    11-08-08 12:38 PM

I am so sorry to hear of the cutbacks & layoffs people are facing, it just breaks my heart. I wish everyone the best & hope things work out!

11-08-08 06:19 PM
    There was no warning either. I was dragged into HR by the company's CEO (aka:useless bag o' s**t) and told that that was my last day.

that is the worst part...no one really knew it was truly coming. there was some speculation but no one knew when or who. just our top manager for our group and an HR person made the rounds.

very rough....
    we even got our coffee machines pulled from our offices....apparently our water filtration systems are next!

best of luck to everyone...it is very hard right now. and rumor has it that it is only supposed to get worse...
    11-08-08 07:47 PM
    Puts things in perspective for those of us on solid footing as regards income. Best wishes for folks going thru these tough times.

11-08-08 07:52 PM
    Yeah got laid off at the end of august with about 70 other co-workers. Its tough on one income and un-employment, now I am mr mom

11-09-08 09:57 PM
    The state of the nation truly is heartbreaking.... My company terminated an entire department recently due to outsourcing, even though we aren't even hurting. Our CEO is just being frugile, I suppose... The worst part is that in order to avoid having to shell out for unemployment, the execs at my company have a system... When laying off or terminating, we are instructed to tell the employee that we have no work for them, and that we'll call them in two weeks.. But we never call. Its horrible, I think.. But I can't afford to lose my job to do the right thing, as bad as that sounds.

Anyhow, I wish everyone the best, losing your job can truly be traumatic.

11-09-08 10:39 PM
    Can't say we've laid anyone off but shifts have been cut back. I work in a restaurant and what used to require 9 servers now takes 6. 3 less shifts each day means 21 less shifts all together which means fighting for what is there. We're all making less money overall and some have gone to a 2nd job. Not only are there fewer shifts, people are generally leaving less of a gratuity meaning it takes more tables to make what we used to. That's just how it is now.

11-10-08 03:17 AM
    that is the worst part...no one really knew it was truly coming. there was some speculation but no one knew when or who. just our top manager for our group and an HR person made the rounds.

very rough....
    we even got our coffee machines pulled from our offices....apparently our water filtration systems are next!
    best of luck to everyone...it is very hard right now. and rumor has it that it is only supposed to get worse...
    Wow! They even fired the coffee makers and water filters?

My last words to HR and the company's CEO were: "Oh BTW, thanks for the warning. My kids and my bills really appreciate it. I'll have my kids write you some thank you letters before they start to starve and can't muster up the strength to write." It made them feel really bad for about 12 seconds, so it was totally worth it.
    11-10-08 02:39 PM
    I'm so sorry to hear about my cracks in this situation I hope all works out for the best of us!

11-11-08 06:56 PM
    Wow! They even fired the coffee makers and water filters?
    haha!!
    maybe my wording here wasnt the best!!

my point i was trying to make is that we have cut back soooo much--not just with our employees
    11-11-08 08:55 PM
    I know I'm very lucky to find a position with a company about three weeks ago.

Our company is actually in a very good positin and is gathering talent with the expectation they will lose money in the short term but be in the best position when things turn.

However it's very stressful knowing that you are not producing enough to cover your salary at this time.

11-11-08 10:08 PM
    That's why I am thankful I don't work for a company that can lay people off. Its quite ironic our 911 dispatcher is hurting to hire people. Go figure.

11-12-08 01:55 AM
    We had a few layoffs about a month ago. They were extra people that were nice to have, but even before the downturn we had to scrounge up work for them. We're pretty stable here (consulting civil engineering company). A competitor of ours split their entire staff, sending 43 to one conference room and 17 to another. The 43 walked out without jobs. As bad as that sounds, it was more for poor contracting than a reflection of our business sector.

Here's a measure of how bad the state of the economy is: We are switching 401K administrators. We have 48 funds we can switch to, and the choices are among which funds had the least negative growth.
    11-12-08 06:36 AM
    My company laid off 500 this month. Glad I wasnt 1 of them.
    11-12-08 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD