Ok so I sold my broken laptop on ebay. Told the buyer it will not come with a hard drive....
    Since hard drive is removed can the buyer still recover any information I have on the laptop?
    I had music pictures stuff of that nature. I was unable to wipe computer due to it not booting up. Think motherboard is bad but has not been confirmed. When this buyer recieves laptop what can she expect to see if she gets it work?
    05-11-09 01:44 PM
    There won't be anything on the computer, and it wouldn't boot up even if the buyer replaced the motherboard / bad parts.
    05-11-09 01:46 PM
    So with the memory chip still in the computer no personal info will be in there correct? Plus when she buys new harddrive no info in there right?
    05-11-09 03:17 PM
    Howdy Aaron,

Without a hard drive in the computer, there is nothing on it. No files, no data, no personal information. When the new owner installs a new hard drive, then and only then, will anything be "saved" to the computer. So any personal information that you had on that laptop, is on the hard drive that your removed.

What she can expect is to buy a new hard drive. Install the OS of her choice, and start installing programs she wants to install. So if the ONLY thing that was wrong with the computer, was the hard drive has gone bad, she may have gotten a pretty good deal. If it's more than just a bad drive, and the motherboard is shot, and if she paid more than $1 for it, she spent too much. IMHO.

Ok so I sold my broken laptop on ebay. Told the buyer it will not come with a hard drive....
    Since hard drive is removed can the buyer still recover any information I have on the laptop?
    I had music pictures stuff of that nature. I was unable to wipe computer due to it not booting up. Think motherboard is bad but has not been confirmed. When this buyer recieves laptop what can she expect to see if she gets it work?
    05-11-09 05:38 PM
    How can you tell if the harddrive is bad? She paid $135 for it. Most ppl thought it was the motherboard.
    05-11-09 06:21 PM
    The laptop should boot at least part way without a HDD. There's also other tests that can be performed to isolate the bad parts.

There will be no information for him to find, as RAM (memory) is erased whenever the laptop is powered down.

How old was the laptop? I think you just made a bundle.
    05-11-09 07:17 PM
    Are you able to describe what the laptop did when you pressed the power button?

Did the LCD light up?

Did it beep and then start trying to load windows?

What kind of laptop was it?

I know of some brands that the motherboard does die easily. But others have hard drive issues.

But to answer your question. Once you pulled the hard drive, all of your data was on that drive. so noone can get to it.
    05-11-09 07:34 PM
    if you're to let go your laptop with the broken harddisk to the seller, she could still retrieve info from the broken harddisk if she's tech savvy enough. it also depends on the severity of the broken harddisk. i ever tried hooking a harddisk which failed to bootup on a linux machine and managed to retrieve some files from it.
    05-11-09 09:26 PM
    This sucks so the lady has my laptop, she says its under an HP extended warranty!!?!?!!! So how could this laptop have an extended warranty if I didn't purchase it? And w/o the hard drive will they still repair? Or she can buy a hard drive and get it repaired!
    05-12-09 03:09 PM
    Apparently it was included when you bought it. and Yes they will, She will have to find a new hard drive to go in it.

One man's Trash is another Man's Treasure

For future reference: always hit forums when you have questions about something. There is a forum that covers most every thing
    05-12-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD