I used to not have a home phone when I was living with my mom, but over at my dads we have one.
    06-02-09 08:31 AM
    I have a Landline for my home security system. You will be surprised at how many people will continue to use landlines. Don't forget that the Verizon has the HUB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 08:45 AM
    I do not have a landline & I don't wanna go back lol. The landline is more & more becoming obsolete just like everything else. But I do believe the older generation will keep their landlines because they do not like change or will want to change. But I as well like alot of others like to be on the move & with Smartphones like the BlackBerry you really don't need a computer either you can do just about anything with it. And you can get wireless DSL so no need for landline really anymore. I have my BB tethered to my desktop. So anyway I really don't see the need for a LL.
    06-02-09 11:26 AM
    I havent had a land line for about 8 years now. I knew it was time to go with just the cell when I would be sitting at home next to my home phone and my cell would ring
    06-02-09 01:10 PM
    I have a Landline for my home security system. You will be surprised at how many people will continue to use landlines. Don't forget that the Verizon has the HUB.

Won't be long before some wireless comapny figures out a system for home burglar alarms...like maybe a drone that stays at the house and is set to call through your cellphone when it is triggered.

06-02-09 01:49 PM
    Won't be long before some wireless comapny figures out a system for home burglar alarms...like maybe a drone that stays at the house and is set to call through your cellphone when it is triggered.

There are already alarm companies that can set your home alarm system up and use cellular.
    06-02-09 05:55 PM
    I have had several instances where due to an emergency situation the Cell phone system was backed up and there was no way to place a call, text or otherwise send a message. Landline was still working.

So ya, it's nice to know that while the neighbors are still waiting for a cell line to become available I can call whomever I need on the old landline.

If the wireless carriers ever build up enough capacity to handle every cell phone owner making a call at the same time, then we can consider the landline dead.
    06-05-09 02:44 PM
    Landlines aren't going anywhere. Some (smart) parents will always want a landline for their toddlers in case of an emergency in the home. Practical people will always want a landline in case of a dire emergency, where a 911 call may be abbreviated prior to any oral communication -- the 911 ops can ANI the line, and thus the location, dispatching help. Not possible (for 911, anyway) with a cell phone. And, of course, large businesses will always want landlines because intraoffice telephonic networks need to be accessible to the outside world.
    06-06-09 01:05 AM
    I've been on my own for 2.5 years and and my wife moved in AFTER we got married 6mths later and we don't have a landline. And if one of us forgets our phones at home we forward the calls to the other lines. and three of our closest married friends don't have land lines either. Why blow the money? It doesn't make a valid point to have a land line and a mobile line.

06-06-09 02:45 PM
    . And, of course, large businesses will always want landlines because intraoffice telephonic networks need to be accessible to the outside world.
    Not 100% true the company I work has talked about getting a cell phone for every employee in the offices along with BlueTooth head sets or Bluetooth equiped handsets, and one cell phone for each of our store managers. The reason "free mobile to mobile only plans". Itd cut cost down and be a lot quicker than dialing the main line and getting transfered to the person you want. And itd cut cost to call out out of state stores/ managers.

06-06-09 02:49 PM
    I have had several instances where due to an emergency situation the Cell phone system was backed up and there was no way to place a call, text or otherwise send a message.
    Where is this at, that you have had no cell service several times during an emergency situation?

the 911 ops can ANI the line, and thus the location, dispatching help. Not possible (for 911, anyway) with a cell phone.
    It is ALI, Automatic Location Identification, not ANI. And I get ALI information all the time on cell phones. Yes, it is not 100% pinpointed, but we get it within 100 feet of the caller. I would say about 90% of the ALI information from cell phones are spot on.

Same with landlines, yes they can be 100% locked down to an address, unless you have a centrex or pbx line in a business.
    06-06-09 03:22 PM
    Man, I haven't lifted the home phone since Clinton was President!

I just have the lowest landline plan for 911 and home alarm.
    06-07-09 01:29 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD