I'm writing this post to the people who drive huge 4x4 vehicles, not for a flame war. If the owners of these vehicle have a reason for owning one such as towing goods, living/working off-road, uneven terrain, 4+ children etc. then I see the point entirely. I just wonder why I see so many people driving 4x4s, especially Range Rovers. I mean, when I look at most of the owners, they look like office business workers. I'm pretty sure that the typical office worker doesn't have to traverse across an arctic tundra, mud bogs or mountains to get to work every day. Could most of these owners want to make the world look as though they're rich, when in fact the vehicle is draining away their savings and making them poor? I don't know. All I know is that most people who drive Range Rovers in England rent them. Why not just purchase it right-off? Or purchase it with finance? If it's too expensive, why even bother to even consider a Range Rover? If you want to drive in luxury, you could pick an Audi, BMW or Mercedes-Benz estate vehicle. You have the boot space of the average SUV, smaller engine (which means more fuel economy) and are usually more space-friendly towards other drivers.

In England, we are used to 45-70mpg cars which are easily obtainable. Ford.com advertised their 2011 Ford Focus with "35mpg. Unlimited fun." As if to say 35mpg was excellent fuel economy. Perhaps it is in the USA, but 35mpg in the EU, especially with prices as high as $2.20 per litre (0.26 USgal), is less than average. The typical Range Rover fuel tank can hold up to 100 litres which means it will cost around $220 to fill right up. Couple that with an average of 12.2mpg and it's almost unaffordable for most. Even if I had a lot of money to spend, I wouldn't buy a Range Rover unless I had a use for it. There are many other luxury cars out there for less.

Well, this is my opinion on most 4x4 owners, not factual.
    03-24-12 11:45 AM
    Because they can?
    TeriGin Chew likes this.
    03-24-12 12:56 PM
    I question if you've ever driven those large vehicles for extended periods of time.

The comfort level of the large 4X4 vehicles.
    I LOVED my Ford F250 even though the fuel consumption and parking of it were far more difficult than my current Nissan cRaptima.

If money is not a factor owning a large 4X4 Vehicle for it's comfort is perfectly fine
    03-24-12 01:22 PM
    There isn't a vehicle on earth I would trade my LR Defender for.
    03-24-12 01:26 PM
    I commute 80kms a day and if I had a choice of getting in an accident driving a tin can or driving something more substantial, I would choose the latter. Sure I hate car payments and needing to run premium fuel, but I like what I drive and that's OK.
    03-24-12 02:09 PM
    Indeed, if money is not the problem and others are able to afford running them, that's their choice. I'm sure none of you have money troubles with running your vehicles. Alnamvet68, the Land Roger Defender is, in my mind, one of the best Land Rovers ever made. It actually works off-road and most of them I see are covered in mud, a sign that people use it for its designed purpose. I really mean the people who own large 4x4s and aren't able to afford it over the course of a few years. In the USA, it's different since large cars are the norm. I've been to CA and AZ in 2010 and seeing a Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL and Ford Excursion was quite frequent. If I lived in the USA, I wouldn't mind owning a GMC Yukon XL since it has very large boot space and towing capacity, something I would benefit from with my family's yacht. Most cars here in England are usually between 1.2L and 2.5L. Plus, petrol prices here are at a peak of 1.40 per litre, something which is already deterring myself from driving.
    03-24-12 02:43 PM
    The problem we have here in Western Canada is that there can be vast distances between areas and there is no practical way to provide mass public transport. The Province of Sask has just over 1 million people and covers an area (I'm guessing) the size of England. But I like it.
    03-24-12 03:02 PM
    I've always wanted to do a drive through Sascatch.
    03-24-12 05:34 PM
    Indeed, if money is not the problem and others are able to afford running them, that's their choice. I'm sure none of you have money troubles with running your vehicles. Alnamvet68, the Land Roger Defender is, in my mind, one of the best Land Rovers ever made. It actually works off-road and most of them I see are covered in mud, a sign that people use it for its designed purpose. I really mean the people who own large 4x4s and aren't able to afford it over the course of a few years. In the USA, it's different since large cars are the norm. I've been to CA and AZ in 2010 and seeing a Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL and Ford Excursion was quite frequent. If I lived in the USA, I wouldn't mind owning a GMC Yukon XL since it has very large boot space and towing capacity, something I would benefit from with my family's yacht. Most cars here in England are usually between 1.2L and 2.5L. Plus, petrol prices here are at a peak of 1.40 per litre, something which is already deterring myself from driving.
    Yep, mine is a 1995 Defender 90 with removable hardtop, and only 62000 miles. I bought it new in Ft Lauderdale, FL through the Army Base Exchange for what now seems to be a paltry sum of $25,900.00. I have kept her in perfect condition, always garaged, and never any vehicle damaging off road adventures.

Everywhere I go, I get people whipping out their checkbooks making me offers for more then I paid. This truck is definitely one thing you guys in the old country do right.
    03-24-12 05:55 PM
    I've always wanted to do a drive through Sascatch.
    It's a nice place and is presently booming. If you like hunting and fishing it's probably one of the best places to be on the planet. Seriously.
    03-24-12 07:26 PM
    I wonder how many times in the past, this same conversation was had, but substitute horse and mule.
    03-25-12 10:15 AM
    I wonder how many times in the past, this same conversation was had, but substitute horse and mule.
    OK then....how about my Clydesdale can haul more linear tons over rocky, snow covered terrain then your genetically freaked out, five legged, 3 humped Dromedary crossed with a$$?
    03-25-12 12:05 PM
    The problem we have here in Western Canada is that there can be vast distances between areas and there is no practical way to provide mass public transport. The Province of Sask has just over 1 million people and covers an area (I'm guessing) the size of England. But I like it.
    My Family in England couldn't fathom the amount of driving I had planned for a Day trip in 2007 when I went to visit

I Left Burnham-on-sea Somerset where my family lives in the early AM, and went to Cheddar Gorge, from There I drove to Stonehenge, from there to Bournemouth, and then returned to Burnham-on-sea, total around trip was probably 400km, or 250 miles and as a Canadian I thought nothing of such a day trip, to the Brits, that was 3 days trips.
    03-25-12 09:29 PM
    That's so weird, for us anyway. Around here people would do that just to go shopping in the city for a day away and something to do. Different places, different norms.
    03-25-12 09:45 PM
    Here's just one reason I have my F250 Crew Cab, Diesel, Large carbon footprint truck:

A few other reasons... My daughter rides horses and has her own horse trailer and she uses my truck.

I have a boat (I know, more pollution) and I enjoy taking it to the local lakes.

I like being able to fit the entire family in, along with all our supplies for long trips.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-27-12 06:45 AM
    Those are all good reasons to have a large truck...

I have a Jeep Wrangler because I bought it in my early 20s because it was a fun vehicle. I also have a Camry because my Jeep needs some work, and doesn't get good gas mileage.
    03-27-12 07:40 AM
    It's a status symbol. I mainly see housewives driving them, usually clipping the curbs and damaging those lovely wheels (before anyone jumps on me, I'm not being sexist, its just what I see). I probably wouldn't have a Range Rover (especially not the new ones, they're super ugly), I would opt for an M5.
    If I had the money I wouldn't worry about mpg, I would want to enjoy my car.
    03-27-12 08:29 AM
    If I had the money I wouldn't worry about mpg, I would want to enjoy my car.
    That there should be the bottom line. It's your money, you choose how to spend it. None of my business if you have a 4x4 and only drive on Beverly Hills Blvd.

Now, here's a Rover that would be fun to have...

03-27-12 08:42 AM
    People who actually do have the money actually buy them because they are the most well built, safest, most luxurious SUV in the world. You may not need to traverse mountains on a daily basis but these vehicles yawn at several inches of snow, rain, or any other in-climate weather conditions that cause the thousands of motor vehicle accident deaths per year. Weather conditions aside- These are the safest, most advanced suspension systems, and engineering money can buy. Not to mention they are equipped with the finest of luxury amenities and they are simply BEAUTIFUL. While the average Audi customer earns $185,000 and BMW , Mercedes customer's average earning at $250,000 it's no wonder that the Land Rover customer profile is OVER $500,000 per year. Understated , refined quality and most importantly protecting what's important the occupants....
    06-07-13 03:34 PM
    I'll sum up quickly.

My 2002 Range Rover has been hit head on by a Kenworth (granted slow speed), and has had two trees fall on it. Still going strong.

In fact, after it was hit by the Kenworth in the middle of winter, I drove it from Calgary, Alberta to NYC before it was fixed! Middle of winter across Alberta, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, and New York (I'm sure I'm forgetting some snow covered frigid states).
    06-07-13 03:50 PM
    Am always a fan of the D110 model.....never really got around loving range rovers models
    06-08-13 10:17 AM
    Thought this was fitting. Photo taken with Z10 HDR.
    -img_00000033_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD