So did anyone just watch that fight? Ken shamrock pulled out in last minute and replaced by Seth Petruzelli. That guy needs to pray to the gods who were watching over him!! What's your take on that fight?
    10-05-08 01:19 AM
    eh. it was a quick one for sure. i wouldve liked to see them square up again and see how kimbo/seth does in the technical fighting area.

1. ken shamrock didnt want to take the dive to see kimbo win to help elitexc - so he "got cut while training" ...
    10-05-08 01:23 AM
    I'm sure a lot of ppl were pissed out Ken not fighting let alone Kimbo get owned.
    10-05-08 01:24 AM
    l0lz kimb0 got teh pwned
    10-05-08 01:35 AM
    Petruzelli's punch must have landed just right. Right when the round started, it looked like Slice was scaring him up against the fence pretty quickly. But that punch messed Kimbo up. He hit the floor and took those headshots then rolled over and wasn't even defending himself. Say bye bye to Kimbo's ego.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 05:12 AM
    I can't believe I missed this. I guess dana white was right in saying kimbo wouldn't stand a chance in the ufc.

10-05-08 10:01 AM
    it was crazy ......
    just in case you missed it
    10-05-08 10:47 AM
    Man I wish I would have dropped $1000 on that fight...Would have made a killing with that upset!! haha
    10-05-08 10:53 AM
    I think Kimbo needed a dose of reality.
    10-05-08 02:12 PM
    yea i agree
    10-05-08 04:35 PM
    So is Kimbo a farce?
    10-06-08 01:58 PM
    I think he got one...
    10-06-08 03:58 PM
    yea i agree
    I think he got one...

Yep......and "reality" was sporting pink hair!
    10-07-08 11:25 AM
    hahah... shows that kimbo is a fake and cant beat the real thing lol..saw this fight and rflmfao
    10-07-08 11:41 AM
    So did anyone just watch that fight? Ken shamrock pulled out in last minute and replaced by Seth Petruzelli. That guy needs to pray to the gods who were watching over him!! What's your take on that fight?
    It's simple. 14 seconds is the cheapest way to get out of paying restitution fees by CBS.

There's a reason why the fight lasted the amount of time it did. CBS signed a tv contract with whichever exact organization it is that represents the fighters. After the first Kimbo fight aired on national television (CBS) some months ago; CBS received a lot of heat for airing fighting of that nature on a nationally-televised scale.

Instead of ex'ing out of the remaining fight(s) CBS had already made a contractual agreement on; they 'honored' the contract by still airing the fight...and instead of what would be a prolonged debacle via backlash by society...CBS decided to make it as quick and painless as possible (and still maintaining the contractual agreement; and not losing out in millions in advertisement and termination fees).

That's why the fight lasted 14 seconds. I rest my case.
    10-07-08 11:50 AM
    It's simple. 14 seconds is the cheapest way to get out of paying restitution fees by CBS.

There's a reason why the fight lasted the amount of time it did. CBS signed a tv contract with whichever exact organization it is that represents the fighters. After the first Kimbo fight aired on national television (CBS) some months ago; CBS received a lot of heat for airing fighting of that nature on a nationally-televised scale.

Instead of ex'ing out of the remaining fight(s) CBS had already made a contractual agreement on; they 'honored' the contract by still airing the fight...and instead of what would be a prolonged debacle via backlash by society...CBS decided to make it as quick and painless as possible (and still maintaining the contractual agreement; and not losing out in millions in advertisement and termination fees).

I think that CBS thing was just a one time deal. Elite XC is aired on Showtime.
    10-07-08 12:31 PM
    I see to an extent but did CBS have any say in the fact that Kimbo dropped like a punk? I think had the punch not hit the right spot, it would have went longer than 14 seconds and probably been more brutal but still coming to the same end. The Carano fight was brutal but she is gorgeous so wouldn't have minded to see that one go longer than 3- 5 minute rounds. That's one woman who would command my full attention- beauty as well as ability to stomp some serious ****.

10-07-08 12:45 PM
    I think that CBS thing was just a one time deal. Elite XC is aired on Showtime.
    Now, come again? This fight was aired on CBS...no?

10-07-08 01:36 PM
    yeah from the looks of the video, kimbo willingly walked straight into an almost lucky looking random punch that and seth both made sure to choreograph.

nope. if elite wanted to go out on top, the wouldve made it quick and have kimbo win. simple as that. it would then keep kimbo's buzz going, and the opportunity for future fights to draw high numbers, whether on cbs or showtime
    10-07-08 06:20 PM

wow thats some conspiracy theory you got going on there. I will concede the fact that there was some editing. However, the length of the fight is not proportional to the loss of advertisement or the termination fees
    10-07-08 06:26 PM
    Now, come again? This fight was aired on CBS...no?
    Elite XC is usually aired on Showtime, so I figured this last Kimbo Slice fight was as well (shows you how much of a Kimbo fan I am). If CBS was the network that aired it, I stand corrected.

I think Kimbo is HIGHLY overrated, but has the potential to be a decent fighter. If he learns from this loss, it will only make him stronger down the road. He has A LOT to learn about the world of MMA. You can't just go in there with a street fighter's mentality and expect to come out on top. MMA is a physical chess match and 75% of the time, the victor is the one who has the better strategy.
    10-07-08 08:30 PM
    A dive if I ever saw one.

10-07-08 08:33 PM
    Ok seriously how many people are TRUE / REAL UFC fans and didn't just jump on the bandwagon recently? Here are my thoughts:
    First About the fight, CBS said Ken couldn't fight not Elite.
    Secondly, with Affliction which was also involved and is trying to compete with the UFC and get decent fighters so I seriously doubt they had kimbo take a dive. Things can happen that don't make any sense at all. It's technique and timing. Ultimate fighting on any level isn't fixed like the WWE.

That's just my humble opinion...
    10-07-08 08:49 PM
    If you watched the clip Kimbo, he slipped and fell which allowed the other guy to take advantage of him. Yes it was bad, I believe that had his foot no slipped he would have pulled out a victory.

10-07-08 09:02 PM
    yeah from the looks of the video, kimbo willingly walked straight into an almost lucky looking random punch that and seth both made sure to choreograph.

nope. if elite wanted to go out on top, the wouldve made it quick and have kimbo win. simple as that. it would then keep kimbo's buzz going, and the opportunity for future fights to draw high numbers, whether on cbs or showtime
    It doesn't matter what would have been better for Elite. I agree, it would have been better for them as a business had Kimbo won; and had the fight lasted longer. But even if Kimbo did win; and even if the fight lasted longer...the outcome of the fight, the length of the fight, and even the fighter that Kimbo fought...has suspect reason for both CBS and ELITE. I'll tell you why...

When Elite joined forces with one of the major networks (CBS) that outbid the others for a contract to show MMA type fights...little was it foretold how strong the negative reaction would be to the first CBS fight between Kimbo and James Thompson.

However, there was already a huge contract (mainly in advertisement dollars) inked for future fights to be shown on CBS. For CBS to breach the contract...it would have been extremely costly. Instead of doing that; and to save face (and dollars) for both Elite and CBS; they went ahead with the Kimbo/Petruzelli fight...on certain mutual conditions as follows...

1.) That the fight last for as short a time as possible...to minimize the airtime because of the reaction the first fight between Kimbo/Thompson received.

2.) That Petruzelli be replaced for Ken Shamrock to set-up even more excitement for a future fight between Kimbo/Shamrock later on that doesn't have any time/image constraints. This way when Kimbo was set up to lose to Petruzelli; and set-up to fight such a short fight...there's a future fight to look forward to for both the naysayers and proponents of Kimbo and Shamrock.

wow thats some conspiracy theory you got going on there. I will concede the fact that there was some editing. However, the length of the fight is not proportional to the loss of advertisement or the termination fees
    For one; I never stated airtime is porportional to ALL advertisement-profit losses. You know why? Because a lot of the advertisements are pre-paid to CBS and Elite...there is always a clause in Live-event type of contracts (particularly for fights); that dictates there is no guarantee of the length of the fight time*. The asterik is for the assumption that the fight runs a natural and un-adulterated course.

CBS and Elite would mainly lose out on advertisement dollars for future events that were written into their contract. And in all the gain/loss in monies...CBS would have been the greater winner/loser; therefore they had more vested interest in not breaking the contract.

And of course I didn't state that the porportion of fight time has nothing to do with early termination penalties.

Elite XC is usually aired on Showtime, so I figured this last Kimbo Slice fight was as well (shows you how much of a Kimbo fan I am). If CBS was the network that aired it, I stand corrected.
    Man, and you were so close to actually achieving in trying to one-up me publically trying to post that and add the sarcastic-laced thumb-up.

I think Kimbo is HIGHLY overrated, but has the potential to be a decent fighter. If he learns from this loss, it will only make him stronger down the road. He has A LOT to learn about the world of MMA. You can't just go in there with a street fighter's mentality and expect to come out on top. MMA is a physical chess match and 75% of the time, the victor is the one who has the better strategy.
    This isn't a true loss...trust me. But at the same time; I agree that you can't take a 'wild horse' like Kimbo who is a street-fighter; and hold him to the same expectations as a 'trained horse'; as fighters in more disciplined/strategized/style'ized environments are.

Ok seriously how many people are TRUE / REAL UFC fans and didn't just jump on the bandwagon recently? Here are my thoughts:
    First About the fight, CBS said Ken couldn't fight not Elite.
    Secondly, with Affliction which was also involved and is trying to compete with the UFC and get decent fighters so I seriously doubt they had kimbo take a dive. Things can happen that don't make any sense at all. It's technique and timing. Ultimate fighting on any level isn't fixed like the WWE.

That's just my humble opinion...
    Even the smallest of reactions gives away the bigger picture. When Petruzelli got off of Kimbo after the referee came in...he threw his arms up, threw his mouthpiece outside the cage, and did his victory dance even before technically hearing the decision...which came after some time.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 10-07-08 at 09:48 PM.
    10-07-08 09:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD