I personally don't see the need for high school students to have a BB. I'm 22 and I don't really need one, but I pay for it...when kids are working they can pay for it if that is what they wish to spend their money on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 11:14 PM
    i got my first phone when i was a freshman because my parents felt i was responsible enough to have one and they would be able to contact me when i went out. i had that phone until junior year when i paid for an upgrade. i had that phone for 2 1/2 years until i just recently upgraded myself to my new curve

my younger brother has gone through 3 or 4 phones now...he just doesn't care for them like he should. i see this more and more in teens and even younger kids. they take these things for granted and treat them like crap and then expect their parents to drop the money to buy a new one and pay for the bill.

as for kids with BBs...i dont really see the need. maybe when they're graduating high school (we can be more giving-junior or senior) and entering the labor force and college. my daily life became extremely busy through junior and senior year. the BB makes everything so easy to keep track of and productivity is greatly increased, but one thing needs to be held firm on: treat them with respect.
    06-02-08 07:02 PM
    Yes I do have a 9 year old! I'm young but, not too young! I have to add that he uses his phone more for entertainment value. He has songs and games loaded on that thing. He loves technology. He had his first handheld gaming system at 4. I also like to be able to call him after school and have him able to call me if he needs me. I have a 4 year old also and he and his brother like to be able to call their grandparents and relatives in other states. We don't have a landline so it works for us. I think you have to evaluate what works for your family and decide accordingly. I know for my niece who's just a year younger than my oldest it would never work! She'd be on that thing 24/7!! My sister would owe millions lol.

M

06-02-08 07:43 PM
    i'm not saying my age. but i'm no adult and i have a blackberry adult as in hs age
    06-02-08 07:47 PM
    Yes I do have a 9 year old! I'm young but, not too young! I have to add that he uses his phone more for entertainment value. He has songs and games loaded on that thing. He loves technology. He had his first handheld gaming system at 4. I also like to be able to call him after school and have him able to call me if he needs me. I have a 4 year old also and he and his brother like to be able to call their grandparents and relatives in other states. We don't have a landline so it works for us. I think you have to evaluate what works for your family and decide accordingly. I know for my niece who's just a year younger than my oldest it would never work! She'd be on that thing 24/7!! My sister would owe millions lol.

M

see that works out for you quite well. it is a very good feeling for a parent to know that they can be able to contact their child. from my perspective...it was a safe feeling to know i could contact my parents if i ever needed help.

not having a landline is becoming more common these days because many people use their cell phones and PDAs as their primary phone while paying for their land line but giving it little use. i know a couple people who have already abandoned the land lines.

i take it your son is very responsible with his phone which is great. and he is into technology...send him our way - it looks like we may have a future member
    06-02-08 07:57 PM
    Wow, my parents were just talking to me and I could just tune them out... I LOVE MY BB!!
    06-02-08 08:08 PM
    Since i don't have any kids......and being fresh outta college.....
    IMO a BB would be sick in college! I just got mine and I can't tell you how many times it would've helped me. Take for instance the many times I would walk all the way across campus (~30 minute walk) only to find out that since I left early to get to my destination on time, a group member would email saying they couldnt make it.
    06-02-08 09:55 PM
    Since i don't have any kids......and being fresh outta college.....
    IMO a BB would be sick in college! I just got mine and I can't tell you how many times it would've helped me. Take for instance the many times I would walk all the way across campus (~30 minute walk) only to find out that since I left early to get to my destination on time, a group member would email saying they couldnt make it.
    Ya i had a berry in college and it was the best!! Welcome to crackberry!
    06-02-08 10:04 PM
    We survived a different world... I don't want to give my kid a phone that young because of status, or because <i>he</i> wants one. I want to give him one at that age for safety reasons, which is also why it will be a child-safe phone that can only call pre-programmed numbers.
    You make a good point, and I am SO glad that my son is grown.....
    06-02-08 10:18 PM
    i got my berry to help me with work this summer and for when i hit the college scene in the fall
    06-02-08 10:58 PM
    I think it is a personal decision for each family to decide on their own. I have no business telling or even suggesting to someone whether their kid should have a phone/berry or not. Some parents might like to be able to call their kid anytime and find out where they are/what they are doing or maybe their family doesn't have a landline. On the other hand, some parents might like their kids to check in face-to-face or have kids who are not responsible enough or maybe their school doesn't even allow them to have cell phones inside. It truly is a case-by-case decision to be made by parents - I don't think you can just make a line-in-the-dirt age.

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-02-08 11:22 PM
    my two year old was running around target tonight with my phone.
    my brother-in-law called, and she got excited to see his face on the screen.
    I let her talk to him a bit, then she took off down the aisle with the phone on her ear...

too cute.
    too bad she had the phone or I would have snapped a pic.

...and she won't get a phone until she's like 30 and living in a convent.
    06-02-08 11:27 PM
    ...and she won't get a phone until she's like 30 and living in a convent.
    LMAO!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-02-08 11:37 PM
    I am age 15 and I think that a bb is to much for me. All I do is download themes and ringtones and sometimes favorites. I also store music and videos but never use then. I think I should have gone with the enV2 instead of this.
    06-02-08 11:55 PM
    see that works out for you quite well. it is a very good feeling for a parent to know that they can be able to contact their child. from my perspective...it was a safe feeling to know i could contact my parents if i ever needed help.

not having a landline is becoming more common these days because many people use their cell phones and PDAs as their primary phone while paying for their land line but giving it little use. i know a couple people who have already abandoned the land lines.

i take it your son is very responsible with his phone which is great. and he is into technology...send him our way - it looks like we may have a future member

this discussion makes me wonder about all these pre-teens and teenagers (mostly girls) that get abducted and never found. what if they had phones....what if they could have called someone!! its a scary world out there and i think any extra chance we give our kids to survive it is def a good thing.

m
    06-03-08 11:48 AM
    also one thing i forgot....my son already knows how to use the gps app so if he had one and got lost....especially those kids of driving age....it would help them.
    reading these posts is convincing me more and more that 16ish is probily the perfect age for a blackberry. im sure once mine are 16 there will be even better smartphones available!
    06-03-08 11:54 AM
    I think of it this way...

I am 23 years old, been through college, and have a very demanding job for which I need to be available 24/7. I love my BB, but truth be told, I only got it because I needed it for work. That being said, what does a 13, 14, 15, etc year old need with a Blackberry? Last I checked, my 13 year old niece does not have conference calls at 9am.

Just my two cents...........
    06-03-08 11:58 AM
    Ahhhhh the Moto Bag Phone. Ill never forget the day I got mine. I was 16 and it was the newest thing on the market. I got my first smartphone about 7 years ago and havent turned back since.

This last Christmas my 11 yr old niece got her first cell, a "Kajeet" phone marketed just for kids, pay as you go service. The parent controls all the features, who can call etc. She loves it for games and texting with the rest of us in the families who have Blackberrys I also have triplet niece/nephews who got their first cell "FireFly" that are for certain situations only, they are not permitted to have them just anytime. I think with the current day and age, its safe for kids to have a way to call mom and dad if needed, and for piece of mind. Some of these new phones you can even GPS your kid!
    06-04-08 02:26 AM
    also one thing i forgot....my son already knows how to use the gps app so if he had one and got lost....especially those kids of driving age....it would help them.
    reading these posts is convincing me more and more that 16ish is probily the perfect age for a blackberry. im sure once mine are 16 there will be even better smartphones available!
    I agree with you and to be honest i dont have kids yet but when i do decide to have children im sure that technology will be even better as it keeps getting better and better everyday so i wouldnt doubht it that at the age of 5 my child may have a cellular phone of some type whether it be a prepaid or a phone that only allows them to call pre-programmed numbers but i think its more a safety and piece of mine issue more than anything...
    06-04-08 05:40 PM
    I agree with you and to be honest i dont have kids yet but when i do decide to have children im sure that technology will be even better as it keeps getting better and better everyday so i wouldnt doubht it that at the age of 5 my child may have a cellular phone of some type whether it be a prepaid or a phone that only allows them to call pre-programmed numbers but i think its more a safety and piece of mine issue more than anything...
    They have those phones at VZW that you can program only 4-5 numbers in it and they can only make calls to those numbers and incoming calls can only be those numbers(i believe) and 911 calls can be made of course. That would be a proper phone lol. Also maybe one of the flip phones that has VZ chaperone on it. That gives YOU gps on where they are on your home computer for 10 bucks a month and the kid doesnt even know its running.
    06-04-08 05:57 PM
    They have those phones at VZW that you can program only 4-5 numbers in it and they can only make calls to those numbers and incoming calls can only be those numbers(i believe) and 911 calls can be made of course. That would be a proper phone lol. Also maybe one of the flip phones that has VZ chaperone on it. That gives YOU gps on where they are on your home computer for 10 bucks a month and the kid doesnt even know its running.
    Chaperone....Hmm ya i think thats what you BF has on your phone right??? LOL J/K
    06-04-08 06:05 PM
    Chaperone....Hmm ya i think thats what you BF has on your phone right??? LOL J/K
    hahahahaaa i feel the love!!!!
    06-04-08 06:06 PM
    hahahahaaa i feel the love!!!!
    Oh hush u know i Heart you... im just being my funny old self
    06-04-08 06:08 PM
    i think the pre-programmed "Firefly" and chaperone phones are a great idea for younger kids who are starting to get out/away from the house more as they are growing up..it gives them a way to check it with their parents (and vise versa) as well as a way to be able to call for help in the time of an emergency. these can also teach the kids the responsibility of having and caring for a mobile phone.

of course...this can work both ways so its really a parents judgement and like Marine39 said: its really a case-by-case decision.
    06-04-08 06:35 PM
    My 7- year old has had a mobile for about one year. He was due for a renewal. I thought about a berry, but certainly a berry is too much phone for him now. We went with an LG Chocolate- mostly for music and pictures and the all important VZW Chaperone service. He is very active and in this day when kids are snatched in seconds, it may just save his life.
    I started out 16 years ago with a 3- watt bag phone and have been through countless cheapies and more high- end phone through the years. I just recently got the berry and love it. But I feel having three kids and two full time jobs working as an emergency dept nurse and as a critical care transport nurse I now deserve a Berry to help manage my life. My son needs to spend some "time in the trenches" with lower end phones so that when/ if he gets a Berry he will appreciate it like I do.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!
    06-29-08 09:30 AM
132 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD